• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

A Preview of New Firefox 3.0 Features

Started by Pete, 2008.06.09, 03:18:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/18096/2/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Sunday, 08 June 2008

A fellow nam. .. .

This would be of interest - if it played using the Flash7 (fake 9) package.

As it is Seamonkey crashes when I click on FlashBlock to play the clip...

Regards

Pete

Robert Deed

It is kinda annoying to see something show up on this site which doesn't work in OS/2 =)..  Almost as bad an Injoy's website crashing flash in all versions of Firefox =)   Great that they continue to support OS/2, would be better if their site supported OS/2. 

As for the demo on firefox 3.0's new features, I didn't see much in there to get excited about.  The new security measures only really help thwart windows attacks, and the new bookmark system while being kinda .. well.. iPhone/Mac like has been available in addons for the older firefox releases for some time.

The Blue Warper

Quote from: Robert Deed on 2008.06.09, 19:37:24

As for the demo on firefox 3.0's new features, I didn't see much in there to get excited about.

Hi Robert,
sorry to contradict you (nothing personal here), but I think the new feature one should get excited about is not immediately visible, though it's definitely there: SPEED.  FF3 is FAST!  It renders web-pages in much lesser time than FF2, and it has a very fast Java engine.  In addition, it makes a much more intelligent use of memory, by allocating resources when needed and releasing them when they are no longer needed.  One will especially realize this after a long browsing session.
Well, this is my experience, at least (both WinXP and eCS).  I first installed it (FF3 beta1) for test purposes, and I found it so fast and stable that I'm no longer using FF2 since then, updating it whenever a new version is released (now at FF3 RC2 under WinXP and FF3 beta5 under eCS).
So I'd suggest to all OS2/eCS users to give a try to FF3 and judge by themselves.

Regards!

RobertM

Quote from: The Blue Warper on 2008.06.10, 01:47:00
...and it has a very fast Java engine.

Hi TBW,

Does that apply to the eCS build? (ie: is the Java engine now part of the browser as of FF3?) Or does it just make better use of the installed Java engine?

Thanks much,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Criguada

Hi!

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.06.10, 03:09:22

Hi TBW,

Does that apply to the eCS build? (ie: is the Java engine now part of the browser as of FF3?) Or does it just make better use of the installed Java engine?

Thanks much,
Robert

Yes, it applies to the eCS build too, but it is not a *JAVA* engine: it is a *javascript* engine. The two things are completely different.
Anyway, a fast javascript engine is a boon today, with all this "Web 2.0" pages around that make heavy use of javascript. GMail is just one example: it receives a very sensible boost from FF3.

Bye
Cris

The Blue Warper

Quote from: Criguada on 2008.06.10, 10:46:21
Hi!

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.06.10, 03:09:22

Hi TBW,

Thanks much,
Robert

Yes, it applies to the eCS build too, but it is not a *JAVA* engine: it is a *javascript* engine. The two things are completely different.
Anyway, a fast javascript engine is a boon today, with all this "Web 2.0" pages around that make heavy use of javascript. GMail is just one example: it receives a very sensible boost from FF3.

Bye
Cris

Yes, thank you Cris for rectifying me about this!  I'm aware of the differences between Java and javascript: I just didn't put the needed attention when I wrote about this enhancement...

As for FF3, FF3 beta5 is the latest FF3 milestone for OS/2 that I know of.  Anyone interested can find it here: http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.0b5/contrib/firefox-3.0b5.en-US.os2.zip
(or under a similar directory structure in the various mozilla.org mirrors).
Also (sorry to repeat something that a lot of people already know...), Steve Wendt's "Tips for Warpzilla" page ( http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html ) is a very good place to start from for OS2/eCS users who want to know about Mozilla apps under this OS.

To BWG:
I've never been trying a nightly release for years, 'cause in my opinion those are mainly conceived for the developers.  But I think FF3 code base is now stable enough, so that one may almost safely use it on a 'regular' basis.  Again, my experience with FF3 beta5 under eCS is very good (one thing that doesn't work here - but I don't know whether it is my install or a feature really missing from the OS/2 version - is the address field search facility; but, on the other side, drag 'n' drop support is working very well), so I'm using it as my regular browser.

Robert Deed

I said I saw nothing in the demo to get excited about.  Yes, FF3 is faster then FF2 (much so on some sites) but that doesn't come through in the demo, all that does come through is the person who created it was having as little problem using his mouse =)

Most of the UI tricks which were demonstrated have been available for some time in the form of add-ons.

Quote from: Robert Deed on 2008.06.09, 19:37:24

As for the demo on firefox 3.0's new features, I didn't see much in there to get excited about.

Hi Robert,
sorry to contradict you (nothing personal here), but I think the new feature one should get excited about is not immediately visible, though it's definitely there: SPEED.  FF3 is FAST!  It renders web-pages in much lesser time than FF2, and it has a very fast Java engine.  In addition, it makes a much more intelligent use of memory, by allocating resources when needed and releasing them when they are no longer needed.  One will especially realize this after a long browsing session.
Well, this is my experience, at least (both WinXP and eCS).  I first installed it (FF3 beta1) for test purposes, and I found it so fast and stable that I'm no longer using FF2 since then, updating it whenever a new version is released (now at FF3 RC2 under WinXP and FF3 beta5 under eCS).
So I'd suggest to all OS2/eCS users to give a try to FF3 and judge by themselves.

Regards!

RobertM

Quote from: Robert Deed on 2008.06.10, 15:28:59
I said I saw nothing in the demo to get excited about.  Yes, FF3 is faster then FF2 (much so on some sites) but that doesn't come through in the demo, all that does come through is the person who created it was having as little problem using his mouse =)

Most of the UI tricks which were demonstrated have been available for some time in the form of add-ons.

While what you say are good points, it does make it easier in not having to track down plugins and add-ons. Also, for us (the eCS community), even though the demo might not have been that exciting, I am very excited about the speed increases both to rendering and to Javascript. On my nVidia machines (running SNAP), any help is a great thing. On the rest, any help is a good thing.

Also, the memory issues resolved (both leaks fixed, and de-allocating unused memory) is a major thing for me (and possibly other Warp/eCS users). As I dont need the newest, greatest, fastest hardware... many of my machines are ancient by Windows standards, like my venerable 13 year old Thinkpad running a PII 300MHz on 288MB RAM.

Now, the only thing I might need to resolve are some minor differences in how it handles some CSS and styles - which at least seem consistent with Safari and Opera. Waiting on the final version before I do that though - and nicely, the code "fixes" dont seem to cause any issues for FF2 or FF1.5

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Robert Deed

I am happy to see that the OS/2 version of firefox is starting to render quicker, however atleast on my hardware FF/2 always seemed faster then FF/32 =)  Actually with the exception of the annoying flash crashes in OS/2, I would have to say the OS/2 version has always been more stable and responsive as well.   There is nothing ground shaking in the new release of firefox, however it is a browser, how much ground is it supposed to shake.  Atleast they are making it render the newer standards which is always good.  I would love to see a java implementation taken on just for applets by mozilla.org.. that would be cool because we would actually get a newer java version (atleast for web applets)..  but who knows..

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.06.10, 20:25:29
Quote from: Robert Deed on 2008.06.10, 15:28:59

While what you say are good points, it does make it easier in not having to track down plugins and add-ons. Also, for us (the eCS community), even though the demo might not have been that exciting, I am very excited about the speed increases both to rendering and to Javascript. On my nVidia machines (running SNAP), any help is a great thing. On the rest, any help is a good thing.

Also, the memory issues resolved (both leaks fixed, and de-allocating unused memory) is a major thing for me (and possibly other Warp/eCS users). As I dont need the newest, greatest, fastest hardware... many of my machines are ancient by Windows standards, like my venerable 13 year old Thinkpad running a PII 300MHz on 288MB RAM.

Now, the only thing I might need to resolve are some minor differences in how it handles some CSS and styles - which at least seem consistent with Safari and Opera. Waiting on the final version before I do that though - and nicely, the code "fixes" dont seem to cause any issues for FF2 or FF1.5

Robert