• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Setting up ClamAv

Started by melf, 2008.06.17, 18:47:16

Previous topic - Next topic

melf

For those of you, like me, that never before have managed to set up clamav antivirus, there is help. Doug Bisset recently uploaded a guide: One users method to use ClamAV with eCS (OS/2) at hobbes http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-browse?sh=1&dir=//pub/os2/util/virus . Well I didn't manage to use the demon mode but I can update clamav virus definintions and I can use clamscan. Great! Thanks to Doug!
/Mikael

OriAl

Where do we download the latest ClamAV?  I'm going to try following directions, and hope I succeed.

Is it time to uninstall  Norman?

melf

You find it here  http://web.os2power.com/yuri/ClamAV . About Norman: I guess the (OS2)product is no longer in production. I don't know if you can get virusupdates for the last os2 version.
/Mikael

OriAl

I haven't gotten Clam going yet.  The site didn't let me download the 63 dll, but I already have it (and other versions) in \os\dll.  I'm going to try to install this weekend.

Norman support for OS/2 ends June 30.  Darn shame - I don't know why they quit.  It was fairly easy to use, for someone like me who isn't overly computer literate and has difficulty concentrating and learning.

OriAl

I uninstalled Norman today, but still haven't installed Clam, as I still am unable to download the libc file from the url in usingclamav.  As I mentioned, I already have lib063.dll (and all the others), but not installed by Warpin.

I hope I can understand Clam when I finally get it installed. 

I haven't had a chance to finish with mplayer, either - health issues with my mother and myself, but I'll be back to that thread, and the external usb disk thread.  .

DougB

The short reason why NVC is gone, is that not enough OS/2 (including eCS) users bought insurance against viruses.

Melf: What is the problem with daemon mode? it just sits there running, in the background.

OriAl: I have no trouble downloading the WPI version of the 063 dll. What sort of problem are you having? Unfortunately, the ClamAV installer has been built in such a way, that you must install the 063 dll first, using WarpIn, or ClamAV will refuse to install. You could use WPIView, and extract the files, so you can install ClamAV manually, but I don't recommend that.

I don't think you will have much to understand, about ClamAV, if you set it up according to my instructions. You could have a problem, if you try to figure out the command line parameters, and the config file parameters. They are typical *NIX programs, with about 3 useful parameters, hidden among about 800 useless parameters (yeah, I know, that is a bit of an exaggeration). The main difference with ClamAV, is that it doesn't have an "on demand" mode, like NVC has. That means that you do have to manually scan files, as you receive them. That can be done automatically, using the REXX that I suggest for PMMail, but that doesn't work for files from other sources. If somebody can figure out a way to automatically scan new files, as they enter the system, from any source, ClamAV users would be grateful.

melf

Hi, Doug.
My problem with deamon mode is that I get this message:

"Can't open/parse the config file /etc/clamd.conf" and get no further.
What I've read on internet this use to be due to that the config file is not configured/that " #example" is not  uncommented.

Well I have not figured out how to do, I followed your instruction and rechecked. Could it be the libpathrewriter that is not working as it should? I haven't installed it as it comes with eCS-RC4.
/Mikael

DougB

Double check, that you are using the config file that comes with the version of ClamAV that you are using (suitably modified to match your system). Something changed between the 0.92.x version, and the 0.93.x version, and the program won't use the old one. I don't think that the problem would be with the path rewriter.

Also, check that you have the parameters in the program icon set correctly. It will look for the config file in %ETC% (usually your boot drive\MPTN\ETC), if you don't tell it otherwise. The proper parameter is:
--config-file=../etc/clamddb.conf
(I copied the original config file to clamddb.conf, and modified that one), and make sure that the working directory is where the program is. The path to the config file uses the two dots to navigate down one directory, then into the etc directory that ClamAV uses. You could put the config file into the default ETC directory, and remove the parameters, but it really doesn't make sense to clutter up your default ETC directory with stuff that isn't really appropriate.

jep

Hello melf (and every one else too),

Quote from: melf on 2008.06.30, 14:04:12
Hi, Doug.
My problem with deamon mode is that I get this message:

"Can't open/parse the config file /etc/clamd.conf" and get no further.
What I've read on internet this use to be due to that the config file is not configured/that " #example" is not  uncommented.

Well I have not figured out how to do, I followed your instruction and rechecked. Could it be the libpathrewriter that is not working as it should? I haven't installed it as it comes with eCS-RC4.

Please see the rexx section... I've written THE script for you then ;)

//Jan-Erik

melf

Hi Doug and jep!

Doug: Thanks a lot the deamon now starts, The problem was that the files didn't exist in MPTN/etc. When copying them there it worked.

jep: I will check your script. Everything that makes life easier in the unixworld is great.   

/Mikael

DougB

JEP: What REXX section are you referring to???

MELF: The instructions tell you how to avoid the necessity to put the config files into the %ETC% directory (x:\MPTN\ETC). It should work if they are kept with the rest of the ClamAV stuff, by using the parameter to tell it where to find the files. IMO, config files, for a program like ClamAV do not belong in the %ETC% directory, simply because the %ETC% directory is used, by OS/2, for network stuff, and there is no good reason to keep program configuration anywhere other than in the program directory structure. AFAIK, it is only the *NIX world, that uses the %ETC% directory, like windows uses the registry (both are very BAD ideas, IMO).

melf

Thanks for you patience Doug. The parameter did the trick! I can't find that info in your text regarding the deamon parameter or I'm just missing it.
/Mikael

DougB

Hmmm. Looks like I missed that step. Fixed in usingclamavr1.zip, now at HOBBES incoming. Sorry about that.

kim

Quote from: DougB on 2008.07.01, 23:09:03
JEP: What REXX section are you referring to???

He is ref to the REXX SIG section in this forum; you'll find it here.

OriAl

I downloaded the libc wpi.  I currently have the libc*.dll files (including libc63) in \os2\dll.  I know to delete that one before using the .wpi to install it..  Will the .wpi install into \os2\dll, also?

I have got to to install Clam.  Even with my very limited knowledge (due to health issues, I have trouble with concentration, memory, and typing, so learning is difficult), I should be able to manage with the detailed instructions provided, which like all other os/2 and other help I get, is greatly appreciated.