• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Abit KX7-333

Started by OriAl, 2008.06.25, 22:57:50

Previous topic - Next topic

OriAl

For some reason, we cannot get my Abit KX7-333 motherboard, which should take up to 3.5 G RAM, to work with anything but the two 256M chips it has had from the beginning.  My friend has tried 1 gig, two 512s, mixtures, and no joy - the computer doesn't even show the "Press DEL..." screen, just a black screen.  What could be going wrong?

Thanks,

Alan

Pete

Hi

There may be a list of specifically recommended chips for the mainboard. I suggest you peruse documentation or check the ABit website.

Kingston also provide a reasonably good replacement guide for lots of RAM chips and rarely cause problems; try this page 

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=13234&mfr=ABIT&model=KX7&root=us&LinkBack=&Sys=13234-ABIT-KX7-333%2FKX7-333R+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search

Regards

Pete

warpcafe

Hi Alan,

on the according product website, Abit says
QuoteSupports up to 2GB of un-buffered DDR200/266/333 and 3.5GB of registered DDR200/266

Aha. Well... I downloaded the PDF manual and unfortunately it's secure to such an extent that it's impossible to even copy text from it... whatacrap. Also, I hardly remember ever have seen a MoBo manual with such detailed restrictions on what memory modules one needs to use and how to combine them. Perhaps that due to the fact that this was one of the(ir) first boards to use SDRAMs... who knows, phew... so here's my suggestions:

• Did you (double-) check that the modules match the required specification?
  • Best, make sure not to mix "different" types of DIMMs (regarding speed, ECC, single | double-sided, etc.)
  • With a working setup (e.g. the old modules installed) enter BIOS setup and check for suspicious settings regarding memory config: Put in fail-safe ("auto") settings and leave the "tuning part" for later
  • If all fails, you might want to take the risk of updating the BIOS to a newer firmware level (if that exists) and hope that it has a fix for memory module issues

By the way... was that you "Alan" who posted the same question in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit ? :)

Good luck, HTH
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

OriAl

Yes, that was me.  I

Thanks for the info.  The memory was all from Crucial, PC2700.  I think I have the latest bios, but I'll check..

warpcafe

Hi Alan,

something I forgot to ask: When these modules are inserted - is there any kind of beeps (short, long, how much) audible? I mean... given the assumption that a speaker/beeper is available and connected...
Also please tell me what CPU is installed and at what (FSB) speed it's currently operating.

Cheers,
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

OriAl

There are no beeps - nothing at all.

CPU is Athlon 2600+.  Not sure what the FSB is, as my friend installed it, but I know it isn't overclocked.

herwigb

Hmmh, I own a KX7 and I know that board quite well:

1. The highest supported CPU on this board is the Athlon XP 2100+ running at an FSB of 133/266 (maybe also a 2400+ 133/266 works, a 2200+ definitely does not work), whereas memory may run at a speed of 166/333.

2. The board however usually works when a CPU with an FSB of 166/333 like the Athlon XP 2600+ is installed (I know it does because I run it this way and it works flawlessly and stable).

But it is not officially supported, so you might be unlucky to have a board that will not work correctly with a FSB 166/333 CPU in case a second memory module is added....

Just my 2 cents.

Herwig
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

OriAl

It's set at 12.5 x 166.  The board has worked fine for years, save for adding memory.

DavidG

Quote from: OriAl on 2008.07.03, 02:30:37
It's set at 12.5 x 166.  The board has worked fine for years, save for adding memory.

And your friend did buy the correct memory for the board as stated in its manual?

warpcafe

Hi,

so if the board is jumpered tp 12.5 x 166 it uses 333MHz for the RAMs.
Is this changed from what it used to run previously without any flaws?

If yes:
There might be some dependency in the BIOS settings like the CacheLatency ("CL") or whatever.
Perhaps also the board is somehow picky about the memory when running at its highest speed to interface memory... is there any chance of getting different RAMs for the sake of trying?

HTH
Thomas
- G.H. Hardy

OriAl

No settings on the board have been changed from the beginning, when the 2600+ and the two 256M RAM chips were installed and the board was new.  We've tried different RAM of various sizes, but only these two work.  We got new memory chips from crucial.com, which said they should work.  PC2700, I think.

Must CMOS be cleared when memory is added/changed?