• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Thinkpad A20m shut itself down!!

Started by Barbara, 2008.06.28, 00:16:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbara

Hello, i've a problem with a Thinkpad A20m:
When i visit a web site using firefox 3 (also firefox 2.0.0.14 or Seamonkey 1.1.9) that have a flash player contents
(es. www.loreal.com ), the notebook shut itself down (power-off), and it is necessary to unplug the DC connector and remove the battery to power-on again (with all the problems related, chkdsk and eventually lost info).
I'm running eCS 2.0 RC3 (SNAP), SSD 16GB Transcend and 512MB ram.
This problem occurs only in this cases and also running Windows 2k and XP, and with 7-8 and 9 version
of  flash player and also  with firefox in the same environment.
Running eCS the problem is not frequent like on Microsoft.
Maybe an hw problem  ::)?
PC-Doctor tools and diagnostic from IBM website for this notebook say all ok, like also other memory test programs i've used.
What is the problem? any suggestion?
Thanks, Barbara.

ddan

Hello! Afraid what I've got is mostly snarking: that's why I don't allow Flash in any OS.

I can go to the website with OS/2 and FF1.5, get a mostly blank page except for a few links at the bottom. Spoofing it with User Agent of IE6 and XP didn't change anything except on one link that suggested I use Flash 8 or higher.

However, this address for a secondary page may help you get where you want to go:

http://www2.lorealusa.com/_en/_us/tools/sitemap/index.aspx

Good luck.

El Vato

Quote from: Barbara on 2008.06.28, 00:16:52
Hello, i've a problem with a Thinkpad A20m:
When i visit a web site using firefox 3 (also firefox 2.0.0.14 or Seamonkey 1.1.9) that have a flash player contents
(es. www.loreal.com )[...]
[...] and with 7-8 and 9 version
of  flash player and also  with firefox in the same environment.
Running eCS the problem is not frequent like on Microsoft.
Maybe an hw problem  ::)?
[...]What is the problem? any suggestion?
Thanks, Barbara.

The symptom appears to be related to an overheating CPU in you laptop. Accordingly, you may want to verify that your cooling vents in your machine are not plugged with foreign matter.  You may also want to verify that your cooling fan is in appropriate working order.    And lastly, the CPU surface that mates to your aluminium cooler (that often houses your fan also) may not be transferring heat appropriately to dissipate the heat.

The latter case may be due to warped mating surfaces and/or heat transferring material between the mating surfaces being burned, old, or inadequate.

As a matter of fact, I have tested the cosmetics page that you referenced above, just as ddan did, but I was using OpenSuSE  10.3, firefox 3.0 , and flash 9, without experiencing problems at all.

Suggestion: Ubuntu is a good starting operating system to replace any member of the WinXX family that may reside in your laptop.  Not only will you acquire knowledge by using the starter edition of GNU/Linux, but you will get an constantly updated no-charge operating system and applications, like Flash 9, without anybody twisting your arm to charge you for an upgrade.