• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Medion Akoya (MSI Wind) netbook and eComStation

Started by Shai, 2008.07.03, 11:46:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.12.14, 02:01:56
I'm sorry, the JPG looks worse. You can see the divergence in color reproduction between the two images quite easily in the text printed on the desktop as well as a moire like compression effect in the transparency on the trashcan in the JPG. There's really no comparison for quality, the JPG simply loses.

Hi Saijin_Naib

Sorry, got to totally disagree with you.

That Desktop looks like the background used in eCS2.0RC6a.

If that is the case the jpg is far more accurate - the text is meant to be white not pale yellow.

The jpg also looks a little brighter than the png.

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

Check again which image you are looking at. The PNG is the one with the white text and no blur on the icon transparency. The JPG has off-white to yellow text and blur artifacts.

Pete

Hi Saijin_Naib

Yes, on Double checking I see that you are correct.

This is obviously something I should not have looked at last thing at night - well, about 2 am - as I have obviously got the images muddled and the PNG is the more accurate image.

Regards

Pete

ivan

Has anyone noticed a slight anomaly with the two pictures?  No.  Then look at the Warp Center (or what ever it's called in eCS) and the time.

I defy anyone to take two screen shots in different formats at the same time! 

Now do a little experiment.  Open the *.png and save it as *.jpg.  Now open both jpgs in something like the GIMP and run a colour analysis on them.

regards

ivan

Stef

Hi all,

first post here !

I have an Advent 4211 (which is also a clone to the MSI wind). I have just tried and followed Sigurd's direction to install the RC6a version but I always get TRAP 008. I exactly did what Sigurd specified. Even if I uncheck the ACPI I get the trap.

Any idea? Because actually I 've just bought the Advent for the OS/2 !!...
Bios is the last 1.10

Thanks in advance.

weckart

Same problem as Stef. Trap 008 happens. I enabled debug mode on the ACPI and noticed PIC shutdown on the last attempt with an inert screen.

I am trying to install onto an SD disk to see whether I can live with the current limitations otherwise, it goes onto an older laptop. Grateful for any help.

Sigurd

Hi stef and weckart,

as far as I was able to figure out TRAP0008 has multiple reasons. One told me TRAP0008 means that more than one TRAP happens at the same time.

I guess ACPI and something with the USB (EHCI) Driver went wrong. And in addition I had a lot of problems with the HDD as well. Even if I was able to start the installation the ecs installer told me something like "your partition table is corupt".

Please try this:

- BEFORE you start to install anything (Windows or eCs) use the DFSEE Boot CD to wipe out the whole HDD and partition it in the way that fit your needs.

- DURING ECS INSTALL: in addition to all the other things already mentioned: in the pre boot menue change the IDE driver to "IBM compatible mode"

- change the USB Driver with the USB stack that once has been published at betazone as soon as you are able to do it

Anyway:

I d'nt know where both of you come from, but I plan to offer my Medion Akoya anyway. So if one is interested in, please write a mail to: sigurd.fastenrath (at) t-online.de.  It is offered with the full Dualboot installation with XP SP3 and eCS 2.0 RC6a and all the necessary drivers that are availiable. BUT: you have to have Software subscription and tell me your registration code so I can do a fresh install (please note: Keyboard layout is german QWERTZ, no Bluetooth); because I want to keep my eCS license. Currently one can by this Medion about 250 Euro (with 1 GB RAM and 160 GB HDD) at ebay , I think it is fair that I plan to sell it for 300 Euro excluding shipment (with 2 GB RAM and 80 GB HDD) ready to use with eCS and Windows.

So if one is interested in, please let me know.

Sigurd

Stef

Thanks Sigurd,

I will keep mine and try to install Ecs.

Every time ACPI is enabled, TRAP 8 occurs asa the USB drive is being accessed. Disabling ACPI makes system freezes.

Weckart, SIgurd,

what post or doc shall I follow to try and install ECS on a SD card ?

djcaetano

Hello there,

I bought a "Positivo MOBO 1050", which is the brazilian version of MSI Wind and had already installed WinXP Pro, Ubuntu, eCS2.0RC6a and MacOS X Leopard. All in all, it is a great netbook and I am very happy with it. I made almost everything work on all OSs, but WiFi is not working on eCS. I had not installed GenMac during eCS installation process, and now I am wondering how can I add it. Also, the secondary video output is not working at all on eCS (it works ok on other OSs). It is a real concern to me, since I planned to use this netbook as a tool when teaching about Operating Systems.

The Status of Not Working Things (on eCS) are:
- External Video Output (I am using Panorama VESA)
- WiFi
- WebCam
- Synaptics Scroll (the touchpad works ok, but there is no scroll feature enabled)
- APM is not working very nice (when on bateries, it's not possible to change state to increase batery life)
- Card Reader doesn't seem to work.

Anyone was able to get solutions for those problems?

My kindest regards,
  Daniel Caetano

Stef

Hi all,

after resuming my tries on my Advent I have no TRAP 008 at all using the /SMP /APIC /CD ACPI parameters.

But now I ran into the "Insert ECS CD.." issue described in http://www.os2world.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,63/topic,553.15/

Since this topic had no updates for about 1 year now, does someone know if this has been solved or workarounded ? In other words is it still impossible to install using a CD/DVD USB drive ?

Thanks in advance

EugeneGorbunoff

To Stef:

Let's test ACPI 3.14

The only way to resolve the problem - post the bug-report to ACPI bug-tracker:
http://ecomstation.ru/projects/acpitools/?action=logs

Create a ticket with subject: MSI Wind, SMP APIC troubles

write to the ticket what you see:

Try boot without USB drivers

do you get errors if run:
http://ecomstation.ru/projects/acpitools/download/acpi-test.cmd

btw, what is the model of motherboard in MSI Wind?
You can find motherboard model in this file: x:\var\log\1_ACPI.L1 -> [Systemboard info]

Pete

Hi Daniel

Looking at your list of things not working I have a couple of suggestions:-

Try SNAP in VBE fallback mode (VESA) and see if that resolves the External Video output problem

Install Genmac Base plus required driver from [RC6a_CD]:\CID\SERVER\ECSPKG\GENMAC2.WPI - it is a Warpin archive and should install with the minimum of fuss. Hopefully that will help with WiFi.

Check USB configuration using USBcfg, itmay help resolve Cardreader problem. If not post your PSD=ACPI.PSD line and also check what settings are enabled for USB in the BIOS. Usbcfg comes in Warpin  http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/USBcfgb071-eCS-only.wpi and Zip http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb701.zip flavours.

Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions for the other problems  :-)

Regards

Pete

Stef

Thanks Eugene for your quick reply.

The ACPI is v3.14 (2.0 Rc6a).

Without USB drivers I got the error:
SYS1201: The device driver /JJSCDROM.DMD specified in the DEVICE statement on line 94 of the CONFIG.SYS file was not installed. Line 94 is ignored.
Insert eComStation Installation CD-ROM and press any key.

I am no expert at ECS/OS2 but since it is not installed yet I cannot run the .CMD file you've mentionned nor look at the Motherboard model in the specified directory. Or maybe there a way to do that. Or maybe someone with ECS installed can give us the answers.

Under XP, CPU-Z motherboard tab returns:
Manufacturer : DIXONSXP
Model : Advent 4211 Ver .001
Chipset : Intel i945GSE Rev. 03
Southbridge : Intel 82801GHM (ICH7-M/U)
LPCIO: ITE

Pete

Hi Stef

Why are you trying to use ye ancient jjscdrom.dmd  - use os2cdrom.dmd

I don't know anything about the Advent notebook but I do know it is possible to install RC6a using a USB DVD drive. I recently installed RC6a to a Dell X300 which has a USB DVD drive. You need to ensure that option is selected in the Pre Boot Menu - "Boot with own values" - otherwise the installer presumes IDE attached DVD drive.

Regards

Pete

warpcafe

Hi all,

I'm not worried about the fact that stef is using JJSCDROM. Personally, I also prefer this one - not for any rational reason but rather out of habit since it gave me better results than os2cdrom back in the days when I had SCSI-based systems. Anyway.
What I'm a little worried about is:

QuoteSYS1201: The device driver /JJSCDROM.DMD specified in the DEVICE statement on line 94 of the CONFIG.SYS file was not installed. Line 94 is ignored.

It's the leading SLASH sign (" / ") in the name of the driver.
Is it really mentioned like this in line 94 of your config.sys? That seems quite an interesting path to load a driver. Not sure, but shouldn't that be a fully-qualified filename? Like "C:\blabla\drivername.dmd" instead?
And, ehh... shouldn't it be a backslash instead anyway?

Just puzzled where the slash sign comes from...

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy