• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Medion Akoya (MSI Wind) netbook and eComStation

Started by Shai, 2008.07.03, 11:46:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigurd

Hi Shai,

I installed DOS/WIN to answer your question, but it is not working. The DOS and Win-OS2 Sessions shut themselves down a few seconds after the sessions have been started. Not even a command prompt can be seen, ist just a black window (in case of the DOS session).

Still using this switch:

PSD=ACPI.PSD /SMP /APIC /CD

Popuplog.os2 tells me:

10-16-2008  20:02:43  SYS3170  PID 006e  TID 0001  Slot 008e
O:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
d2c27c78
P1=0000004c  P2=01c23714  P3=0000002d  P4=b1b37d08 
EAX=00006f20  EBX=00000000  ECX=00000000  EDX=00000000
ESI=0000f690  EDI=00000000 
DS=c000  DSACC=****  DSLIM=******** 
ES=c000  ESACC=****  ESLIM=******** 
FS=0000  FSACC=****  FSLIM=********
GS=0000  GSACC=****  GSLIM=********
CS:EIP=f000:00007175  CSACC=****  CSLIM=********
SS:ESP=9e8c:00000002  SSACC=0003  SSLIM=00000003
EBP=00000002  FLG=00032246

:-\

Sigurd

BigWarpGuy

Sigurd

Installation Update RC 6.0a:

Hi, made a fresh install with RC 6.0a. Install went fine using installation direct from USB DVD Drive. In case of this make sure that you:

- Enter the preboot menue with "own values"
- enable support for at least 1 USB CDROM, mark "Install from USB Device"
- select ACPI
- set the ACPI value (switch)    /CD
  (missing this causes the beloved trap 0008  :o )
- select panorama vesa. audio is detected as uniaud hda
- select "no network adapter" - install the network support manually as described in this thread before
- do not set a static IP - it is a bug in 6.0a - set dynamic

Go ahead.

Result i.e.:

http://www.commtalk.org/FileRepository/ForumAttachments/5-76754-neowps2.JPG

New: Suspend / Resume is working now!!!! (since ACPI 3.13) 8)  ::) :D :)

Just discovered but was possible before: you can use FN+F3 to activate/deactivate the touch pad, that is really a nice feature while writing something  :D

This netbook is now really a good choice in case of using eComStation on modern netbooks!

Cheers

Sigurd

EugeneGorbunoff

e-co: The license of NeoWPS talks: you can't make JPG screenshots! PNG only! :)

melf

Seriously, you can't decide what kind of screenshots people take! It's a screenshot of his desktop and I guess he legally owns that picture. Allthough I understand you want to show the good quality of the icons - this is just bad business I think.
/Mikael

Sigurd

Hi,

Eugene - I did not know about this (strange) limitation. I just thought it might have been a kind of good idea to show people your work and have a kind of advertisement as side-effect.

Even though - I am in complete agreement with melf, this rule seems to me futile.

warpcafe

Hi,

perhaps Eugene is concerned about possible JPG copyright infringements? Is that still a threat?
Although I prefer PNG over JPG (mainly for the same reasons of legal safety... anyway, that license notice is a little strange I must admit. OTOH, Eugene might have his reasons and we should respect that.

...sometimes I would like him to explain his reasons though. ;)

Cheers
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

EugeneGorbunoff

hey, we spend dozens of hours to design -> draw -> improve every icon! PNG format keeps the quality of SunnyIcons, JPG breaks all efforts of the designers. Look at the screenshots of OS/2 in the Internet (first, try to find the screenshots) - ugly.. black JPG picture 8[   ]

Let's show PNG nice designed pictures of eComStation desktop

melf

Eugene, it wasn't my meaning to be impolite, but I got a bit upset. My point is that I doubt if that statement in a license have a legal ground. If not, it shouldn't be there - instead you could recommend the use of *.png in sceenshots.
/Mikael

Sigurd

To avoid license conflicts I simply deinstalled the whole NEOWPS.

EugeneGorbunoff

it's fun..

let's compare PNG and JPG screenshots of the desktop:

http://ecomstation.ru/projects/eschemes/screenshots/eComStation-desktop-1024.png

http://ecomstation.ru/projects/eschemes/screenshots/eComStation-desktop-1024.jpg

how long do you look (watch) at the screenshot? 5 seconds? 7 seconds? then you see the difference, you see the artefacts. The JPG screenshot seems ugly.

I am dissapointed that Sigurd reacts this way. It's clear that JPG is useful for photos only. Promo screenshots should be in GIF/PNG format. I am happy that Sigurd made the screenshots, my goal was: help to achieve ideal quality of the picture.

ivan

Having compared the screen shots I find the *.jpg has 51750 colours while the *.png has 31381.  I have also shown them to several friends, two of them are artists with a reputation on Europe.  All selected the *.jpg as the better picture.  This was on screen.  On printing them on photo paper using a photo printer most thought they were the same picture.

Eugene.  There are many factors that apply to picture reproduction be it on screen or paper.  For most people a computer monitor is just plugged in and used at the default colour temperature.  There are some of us that have monitors set up to print standard because of our work in preparing pictures for print reproduction.  Yes, there can be some degrading of JPEG images if they are repeatedly opened and saved but just comparing two images, jpg & png, on a default monitor 99.99% of people will see no difference.

Your insistence that published screen shots be in png format is up to you and I will defend your right to dictate as you will with your work. That said I think you are wrong with your restriction, it will only do harm and cut down possible advertising of your work.  I would have thought it would be in your best interests to have examples of your work spread as widely as possible, but again your decision.

Also promotional pictures should be in TIFF format if you want the reproduced in any print shop - this is the standard for publishing.

Sigurd's reaction is typical of most people when they are told they can't do what they want with what they have, even Apple is finding it difficult to dictate what people can and can't do with their purchases.

To advance OS/2 / eCS we need good publicity.  Sigurd's work is a big step in the right direction and should be encouraged at all costs not slapped down just because of some perceived  degrading of a picture, remember it could be your monitor that is at fault, incorrect colour temperature, badly set up RGB etc. or even video drivers that are a little off and do not drive the video card / monitor combination correctly.  It is also possible your feed back is from a much too small sample of video / monitor pairs because you restrict your work to eCS users only and not the wider OS/2 community.

regards

ivan

Saijin_Naib

I'm sorry, the JPG looks worse. You can see the divergence in color reproduction between the two images quite easily in the text printed on the desktop as well as a moire like compression effect in the transparency on the trashcan in the JPG. There's really no comparison for quality, the JPG simply loses.

rudi

Quote from: warpcafe
perhaps Eugene is concerned about possible JPG copyright infringements? Is that still a threat?

AFAIK, JPEG was never hit by this issue. It used to be a problem with GIF, but the patents for
the LZW compression have expired now.

Quote from: Saijin_Naib
I'm sorry, the JPG looks worse

For me, the visual differences are marginal. However, the PNG is nearly 4 times as big as the
JPG. IMHO, the minimal advantage in picture quality does not justify the difference in size.
I'm quite positive, that one could even improve the JPG by reducing the compression factor
while still resulting in a smaller file than PNG.

Quote from: EugeneGorbunoff
I am dissapointed that Sigurd reacts this way

Sorry, but you provoked it by bringing legal/license stuff on the table. I fully understand
Sigurd's reaction...

Quote from: EugeneGorbunoff
my goal was: help to achieve ideal quality of the picture.

Then you definitively found the wrong way to communicate this to Sigurd. Se Melf's
reply.

Sigurd

Hi,

I switched to WPSWIZARD and the wunderfull themes from David Graser. I made some GIF pictures, you can see them here:

http://www.commtalk.org/FileRepository/ForumAttachments/6-76768-Besser3.gif

http://www.commtalk.org/FileRepository/ForumAttachments/6-76766-Besser1.gif

http://www.commtalk.org/FileRepository/ForumAttachments/6-76767-Besser2.gif

Hope you like them, thanks to Chris Wohlgemuth and David Graser!

Sigurd