• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eComStation 2.0 RC5

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2008.07.04, 02:10:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

Sounds sick! I guess I may have to pony up the cash and try it out....

saborion2

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.07.04, 02:10:12
Sounds sick! I guess I may have to pony up the cash and try it out....

Ha Ha! I am forever waiting to try it (eComStation 2.0) out on a 90's "DOETSCH" IBM Mini Note Book.  ;D ;D ;D

Regards.

SAB

Saijin_Naib

Purchased today, dissapointed to find out that the whole renewal process isn't automated and immediate. I need it for later tonight -_-

StefanZ

...but it IS worth it, isnt it?   :D

Blonde Guy

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.07.10, 01:21:45
Purchased today, dissapointed to find out that the whole renewal process isn't automated and immediate.

This is pretty frustrating to me as an eCS reseller, too. I can automate all I want, but it just hooks into the same manual process that you went through.

But the rc5 is better in many ways. I hope end-users wanting pre-loaded computers will accept rc5 as a good platform. Actually, for many machines rc4 was a good platform, too.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Saijin_Naib

I don't know if it's worth it yet, the money I spent on the SSS is the money I had set aside to get a new PSU for my desktop as my current PSU bit the dust a little too hard. I'll find out after next pay cycle if RC5 was worth it or not ;P

saborion2

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.07.10, 21:31:19
I don't know if it's worth it yet, the money I spent on the SSS is the money I had set aside to get a new PSU for my desktop as my current PSU bit the dust a little too hard. I'll find out after next pay cycle if RC5 was worth it or not ;P

Yawn...... Guess that we all have heard story that goes like this - "While the grass is growing the horses are starving". So, the question is: Should one really invest their "hard to come" cash (due to the economic situation in the country) in a product that is not yet Generally Available (GA) and would have assumed that the "Saijin_Naib's et al" ought not to pay for a product that is still being tested and without knowing "if it's worth it yet"!  8)

Regards,

SAB

RobertM

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.07.10, 21:53:46
Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.07.10, 21:31:19

Yawn...... Guess that we all have heard story that goes like this - "While the grass is growing the horses are starving". So, the question is: Should one really invest their "hard to come" cash (due to the economic situation in the country) in a product that is not yet Generally Available (GA) and would have assumed that the "Saijin_Naib's et al" ought not to pay for a product that is still being tested and without knowing "if it's worth it yet"!  8)

Regards,

SAB

Or like he said, he can make that determination after he checks out RC5... the fact that the RCs support more hardware and up to 64 CPUs/cores (without the expense of the "Server Pack") is incentive enough for me - but my needs are probably different than his.

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

I need:

Full hardware support, reasonable stability, speed. That's about all. eCS is my toy OS, I have XP for what I really need. I just hope that this RC improves on the others, so far there has been a pretty positive trend of improvements with each RC (or atleast I think so). I am very tempted to get a Sylvania gBook (new Everex Cloudbook) to have as a wifi device I can carry because I often find myself in want of some music or internet on the fly, and I'm most certainly not brining my ATX tower around with me. If I do get one, eCS is going to live there and have to function well otherwise its XP or gOS.

I really want to see these four issues resolved: Integrated SMB Networking (or atleast fix the anomalies I had with Peer working/not working), eSchemes properly working, new round of IOPROCS for image/audio/video, and DHCP that can function with both WLAN and LAN at once without requiring a reboot.

RobertM

Well, for those who have been asking and didnt read the announcement...

• One more RC is planned (yep, you guessed it, RC6)
  • RC6 is planned for August
  • GA is planned for "shortly after"

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

BigWarpGuy

I am looking forward to the 'shortly afterward'.  ;D
8)

Saijin_Naib

Do we get burnt/printed media when it goes GA? I don't know about you, but with all the money I've spent on eCS thus far I'd like to have more to show for it than a few burnt ShopRite CDs with my scribble on them. You know what I mean? DVD jacket, nice printed cover front/rear, printed discs, paper manual in the inside clips. I'd really like that.

I am looking forward to trying RC5 and RC6 shortly, and am very much excited to hear that 2.0GA is finally on the way. I think this will be a very healthy thing for eCS and the OS/2 community.

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.07.12, 05:56:44
Do we get burnt/printed media when it goes GA? I don't know about you, but with all the money I've spent on eCS thus far I'd like to have more to show for it than a few burnt ShopRite CDs with my scribble on them. You know what I mean? DVD jacket, nice printed cover front/rear, printed discs, paper manual in the inside clips. I'd really like that.

I am looking forward to trying RC5 and RC6 shortly, and am very much excited to hear that 2.0GA is finally on the way. I think this will be a very healthy thing for eCS and the OS/2 community.

Not a clue... the eCS 1.2MR I ordered from Mensys (each set) all came in DVD boxes, with a printed DVD box cover, and two printed disks, with a printed quickstart manual inside the DVD box...

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

TheNerd

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.07.12, 02:51:21
Well, for those who have been asking and didnt read the announcement...

• One more RC is planned (yep, you guessed it, RC6)
  • RC6 is planned for August
  • GA is planned for "shortly after"

Still no RC6 and still now GA...
http://ecomstation.ca/ - Your Canadian Source for eComStation and OS/2 Software!
http://ecomstation.ca/forums/ - Canadian eCS Forums
http://ecsware.org - Software for eComStation

Ben

TheNerd

Yes, both of those times have passed.

But, (my personal opinion here), I'd rather wait for a few of the major items, (ACPI & UniAud), to be fixed before 2.0 gets marked GA.

What this community as a whole needs, is a major, solid, release, one that will meet all the basic expectations of a GA'd OS.

OS/2 -- now eCS -- hasn't had that for a looong time. And it really turns people off to buy a new OS, not knowing what to expect, (and remember, OS/2 is very different from *nix, Windows*, or Mac), and have complications mixed in like unfinished, significant, drivers in it.

With respect to ACPI and UniAud, both have made strides in the past few months, and while I don't see them being "ready" for a little while yet, I'd like to see them both working with some degree of transparency, prior to GA.

While, like you and  most others, I do not like the waiting, I consider it the preferred trade... especially when given the option.

The bottom line is that I'd like to have at least one recent version of our favourite OS, just popped into the CD Drive and installed, without having to doctor it significantly... or at all, for the more mainstream hardware.

While it is not realistic to expect this for all available hardware, in all of the various, possible, combinations, (no OS achieves this), I'd like to see it reasonably close... or even closer... and I think, given the quality of the release candidates, that it is do-able.  :D

Later...