• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS and a T42 laptop

Started by sdennis, 2008.07.20, 10:14:13

Previous topic - Next topic

sdennis

Hi, everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had experience installing eCS 1.2 on a Thinkpad T42 laptop.  I happen to own one and although I am very happy with it, even with Windows XP Pro on it, I'd like to "go home" if you know what I mean.  I am also considering waiting it out and buying eCS 2.0 when it goes GA.

(A side note: I was in a nasty car accident March 28 and wound up breaking my wrist so badly I had to have a plate put in it.  My lawyer is working on getting a settlement from the insurance company and if there's enough after all the bills are paid, I'll buy the new eCS.)

The main thing I'm worried about is USB (I use a travel USB mouse) and getting the internal NIC working correctly.  I do believe this laptop may have shipped with OS/2 by special order when this model was still being sold by IBM.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
OS/2: Shuts gates, opens windows.

herwigb

Hello sdennis,

sorry to hear about your accident, my best wishes for the recovery!

Regarding the Thinkpad T42: I recently got a refurbihed one and installed eCS 2.0rc4 on it. It is completely supported, both the wired and the wireless NIC work via GenMac, video is supported by SNAP, and audio works via UniAUD, power management works via ACPI.

Installation was no problem at all. There was a minor glitch with the battery eCenter widget, which I was able to resolve very quickly (without noting down what ist was exactly).

The machine is fast and stable.

There is one remaining issue: On one out of 10 reboots the startup sound keeps looping forever, dont know why, maybe another uniaud would be required...

Otherwise perfect.

Regards,
HerwigB
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

sdennis

Thank you both!

Seems I shouldn't have too much trouble getting eCS to work on it.  I'll wait until 2.0 gets officially released and I'll go from there.

Thanks again,
Sean

abwillis

I am replying from a T42 running eCS1.2.  The wireless adapter works via genmac (wired works fine with native driver or genmac).  Sound can use a driver that can be downloaded from IBM or using Uniaud.  Using SNAP for the video.  PCMCIA works as does USB.
Andy

sdennis

Quote from: abwillis on 2008.07.21, 01:50:05
I am replying from a T42 running eCS1.2.  The wireless adapter works via genmac (wired works fine with native driver or genmac).  Sound can use a driver that can be downloaded from IBM or using Uniaud.  Using SNAP for the video.  PCMCIA works as does USB.
Andy

That's great...so just sounds like I need to install GENMAC for the wireless and UNIAUD for the sound...not a problem there.

Thanks again,
Sean