• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Hardware report ASAP

Started by jep, 2008.08.02, 00:06:51

Previous topic - Next topic

jep

Hello,

I would like to urge all users that have the ability to run the Feedback Wizard to send in information that can help developers in the process of improve support for modern computer hardware.
You can find the Feedback Wizard in eComStation RC 5 under "C:\Desktop\Local System\Help Center\Feedback Wizard" (Desktop -> Local System -> Help -> Feedback Wizard)

I personally would like to see more reports about motherboards with AMD chipset, (not the motherboard itself, nor only the cpu). My motherboard for example use the FX790 (North Bridge) together with SB600 (South Bridge) chipset etc.

You should of course report Intel and other chipsets as well.

//Jan-Erik

DougB

I would do that, but ACPI will not configure either of the NICS in my Acer Aspire 4720 laptop, so it is impossible to send the information. Sort of a "catch 22". I can't report that ACPI doesn't work right, because ACPI doesn't work right.

Saijin_Naib

Am I allowed to LOL at the above? That's rough sir! You could of course grab the logfiles of interest manually and move it via flashdrive to a functional computer.

Jep, what exactly comes from these logs? I've sent mine in, but ACPI is been positive here since the beginning on my mixed Intel/VIA setup.

abwillis

Quote from: DougB on 2008.08.02, 00:26:23
I would do that, but ACPI will not configure either of the NICS in my Acer Aspire 4720 laptop, so it is impossible to send the information. Sort of a "catch 22". I can't report that ACPI doesn't work right, because ACPI doesn't work right.
If you disable ACPI is the system operable and the NICS work?  Also, have you tried to upgrade to ACPI 3.10?  If not I'd try it and then follow the reporting system in the docs with it.
Andy

DougB

RC4 works without ACPI (even in SMP mode, using the older  OS2APIC.PSD), but I haven't had time to try that with RC5. Only the Broadcom NIC works, using unsupported mode with GENMAC, and a different driver than supplied for a similar device. The "supported" wireless NIC (Intel 4222 3945ABG) doesn't work, at all (of course, both work in windows).

I have updated to ACPI 3.10, with no change in operation.

All of that information has been posted to the bug tracker, at Netlabs. I posted, to point out the limitations of the feedback mechanism. It would probably be better, if there was an option to package the information, for transmission, using another, working, system (even windows), if necessary.

Andi

I would like to do that. But first I've bought a new hdd cause there's no space left on the current drive to install another eCS version. Got it before weekend and attached it on the second SATA. But, the current working eCS2.0rc2 (+updates) installation traps (0e in os2kernel) with this second SATA drive connected. My main drive is SATA too.

Looking for the DFSee BootCD and made a few partitions on that drive and now eCS2.0rc2 boots without trap and sees the new partitions. Weird, eCS is not able to boot when there's a new unpartitioned drive attached.

Now tried to install eCS2.0rc5 - but, it does not boot. It hangs when copying to the ramdrive. Remove 2GB RAM and try again. No chance. Burn another install CD and try again - same as before. No chance to boot from rc5 CD.

It's so frustrating when trying to install eCS on modern hardware these days.

Oh yes, sometimes I will have rc5 running on this box for sure. And I'll give feedback. But there's to much work and to less time... And there's a daytime job too. Otherwise I would not be able to buy all this stuff I'm playing in my spare time.

Enough moaning, have to work before my boss sees what I'm doing here....

EugeneGorbunoff

eComStation works very well on modern hardware --  http://ecomstation.ru/ecspc

Troubles with SATA? Update Danis506:

How to update Danis506? Download new Danis506:
      * 1.8.1 -- http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?key=danis506&pushbutton=Search
      * 0.4.0 -- http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?key=daniatapi&pushbutton=Search
     Copy danis506.add and daniatapi.flt to x:\OS2\BOOT
     Check CONFIG.SYS, it should load daniatapi.flt (not daniatap.flt)

DougB

QuoteeComStation works very well on modern hardware

When it does work, it works well. When it doesn't work, for some reason, it is difficult to get help. Even experienced users are left wondering what to do, and the biggest problem seems to be ACPI. ACPI is critical to getting many new systems to work, but ACPI just won't do the job, in all cases, and, it seems that those who are working on the project, have no idea about what needs to be done to make ACPI work in all cases. That is not, necessarily, their fault, but it is a serious impact on the viability of eCS.

Andi

Eugene, we're here in a forum with a lot of 'die hard' OS/2 - eCS users. No need for overstated advertisement here. From my experience and from what I read, and even from the mobo section on ecomstation.ru I got the impression, that ACPI partitially works on a lot of systems. But by far not perfect on most of them. A lot of users get some stuff to work sometimes after heavy manual intervention. But there are other things that do not work, regardless what the 'experienced user' is able to try out.

I'm sure you know the ACPI bugtracker much better than I. And you know the number of closed tickets whenever a new ACPI version comes out, where only the original submitter gave up on repeating the same thing again with every new version which came out. Of course there is progress, but we are far away from 'works perfectly'.

Thanks for your hint on danis. But I'm using 1.8.5 anyway since a while. Or do you think 1.8.1 works better?

I really appreciate your work. But 'works perfectly' is not the correct translation for what I think you wanted to say ;-)

saborion2

Hi All,

Re:

Quote from: Andi on 2008.08.05, 14:10:26
Eugene, we're here in a forum with a lot of 'die hard' OS/2 - eCS users. No need for overstated advertisement here. From my experience and from what I read, and even from the mobo section on ecomstation.ru I got the impression, that ACPI partitially works on a lot of systems. But by far not perfect on most of them. A lot of users get some stuff to work sometimes after heavy manual intervention. But there are other things that do not work, regardless what the 'experienced user' is able to try out.

I'm sure you know the ACPI bugtracker much better than I. And you know the number of closed tickets whenever a new ACPI version comes out, where only the original submitter gave up on repeating the same thing again with every new version which came out. Of course there is progress, but we are far away from 'works perfectly'.

Thanks for your hint on danis. But I'm using 1.8.5 anyway since a while. Or do you think 1.8.1 works better?

I really appreciate your work. But 'works perfectly' is not the correct translation for what I think you wanted to say ;-)

Being able to access information through (links...) I for one do not necessarily see part of "Eugene's" post as "overstated advertisement" as I would find it much more convenient if the "information" is served up as often as it can rather that me spending time and resources (which can be better put to use) to "search" for the information myself; besides, is it not "geeks" that the OS/2 communities are made of and in a world where
QuoteThe Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) specification, (is) an open industry standard first released in December 1996.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

"

then one ought to wonder about the reasons why some other things
Quoteregardless what the 'experienced user' is able to try out
just do not work; however, in a world of "proprietary control" where the OS/2 Operating System is concerned; maybe, these scenarios are understandable.  8)

How about the creation of an comprehensible listing and open publication of all ACPI issues related to OS/2 and the establishment of an "select" worldwide technical team to resolve these issues (remembering the old adage that says: "Two" Heads Are Better Than "One")?

Best regards,

SAB

ivan

I have the feeling there is a little of the 're-invent the wheel' going on here.
If my reading of the information on the acpica.org site is correct, we have Eugene doing his own thing and the people at acpica plugging on at a different thing (they appear to have quite a bit of os/2 specific parts available).

There are several other projects that I see no reason for e.g. bootable jfs, unless you are going down the window$ road with everything on on one giant partition.

I have also wondered why no one has combined the genmac driver with the linux nindis wrapper project, it would then be simple to add a nic (wired or wireless) if you had the window$  ndis file.

All in all we have some brilliant people working to keep os/2 alive, Daniela Engert, Paul Smedley et al who give of their time and brilliance freely, others give their work as shareware.  Then there is the closed community where those of us using os/2 only are not invited.  Lucide. open office, acpi and a few others are only for those that have ecs.  How much better that they be available as shareware and so benefit the whole os/2 community.

saborion2

Hello all,

Re:

Quote from: ivan on 2008.08.05, 20:16:25
I have the feeling there is a little of the 're-invent the wheel' going on here.
If my reading of the information on the acpica.org site is correct, we have Eugene doing his own thing and the people at acpica plugging on at a different thing (they appear to have quite a bit of os/2 specific parts available).

There are several other projects that I see no reason for e.g. bootable jfs, unless you are going down the window$ road with everything on on one giant partition.

I have also wondered why no one has combined the genmac driver with the linux nindis wrapper project, it would then be simple to add a nic (wired or wireless) if you had the window$  ndis file.

All in all we have some brilliant people working to keep os/2 alive, Daniela Engert, Paul Smedley et al who give of their time and brilliance freely, others give their work as shareware.  Then there is the closed community where those of us using os/2 only are not invited.  Lucide. open office, acpi and a few others are only for those that have ecs.  How much better that they be available as shareware and so benefit the whole os/2 community.

Some simple solutions (and, as was mentioned in an earlier thread) - The Implementation Of International "Standardization" Processes for OS/2 Hardware, Software, Services, Training Programs....  8)

Just my two cents.

Kindest regards.

SAB

DougB

I have to respond to Ivan, who seems to have some wrong impressions about a few things.

First:
QuoteThere are several other projects that I see no reason for e.g. bootable jfs

Ivan has, obviously, never used bootable JFS. There is no need to make one large volume, to use bootable JFS. I use it, and I see a very valid reason to use JFS. The system performance is noticeably better, simply because of the larger cache that is available, over what HPFS has. It also has the added advantage, that a CHKDSK, at boot time (when necessary, although with JFS it always runs an initial scan), takes far less time, than it takes to run on an equivalent sized HPFS volume. IMO, bootable JFS is a great addition to eCS.

Then:
QuoteAll in all we have some brilliant people working to keep os/2 alive, Daniela Engert, Paul Smedley et al who give of their time and brilliance freely, others give their work as shareware.  Then there is the closed community where those of us using os/2 only are not invited.  Lucide. open office, acpi and a few others are only for those that have ecs.  How much better that they be available as shareware and so benefit the whole os/2 community.

Ivan started out right. Those who do contribute are very much appreciated by all of us. However, I think he thinks that those who are working on the closed projects, are working in the same way. It is my understanding, that they are being paid (probably not enough), by Mensys, to provide essential parts for the advancement of eCS, which nobody else has been working on. Mensys produces, and sells, eComStation, so it is not only fair that they keep the software for their own use, it is expected. To say that OS/2 users are not invited, is a rather narrow view. They are certainly invited to participate in the eCS adventure, by simply purchasing the product. Without eComStation, OS/2 would be as dead as Microsoft wishes it was.

Just my $.02...

rudi

Quote from: Andi on 2008.08.05, 14:10:26

That's my opinion as well.

Quote from: ivan on 2008.08.05, 20:16:25

That is not correct. ACPICA provides relatively platform independent (Unix, Windows) core routines.
A large part of the implementation we have on OS/2 is unmodified code from ACPICA. The same is
true for Linux. However, besides the general problems with ACPI (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface#Criticism ), one of bad
things in OS/2 is, that we have to deal with a nearly 20 year old binary-only kernel that was never
designed with that type of stuff in mind. Thus a lot of ugly hacking has to be done, to get it to work
at all...