• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Firefox 3.x Font Issue?

Started by RobertM, 2008.08.13, 02:50:27

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Quote from: warpcafe on 2008.08.14, 18:03:32
Hi Robert,

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.08.14, 16:45:53
Has anyone else who is running FF3 tried the page on my site?

not until 1 minute ago ;)
I must admit that it's FF3 on Windows (~XP SP2) - more precisely:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1

However... yes, it displays just like what the text behind the font samples says ("...shows up as times new roman"). Does that help?

So, you are getting Times New Roman instead of Arial Bold, Arial Italic, etc in the first section? If so, that is really weird as the XP SP2 machine here is doing it correctly...

Quote from: warpcafe on 2008.08.14, 18:03:32
BTW - looking at your html source code... perhaps instead of doing something wrong, FFx3 rather does something "more precisely" than its ancestors? Who knows what Cairo is able to do? Scan the real font family from the TTF header and make it load the non-bold, non-italic "parent" font instead undless there are markups that tell it to bolden and/or italicize it?
Hmmm... just guessing here.

Regards,
Thomas

I thought about that - that's how I got the second and third section working. Here's the problems I see... I have each font installed (there's a separate file for Arial, Arial Bold, Arial Italic, etc)... so in the second and third methods (which work), the renderer is faking bold and italic itself instead of loading the bold or italic version.

I am wondering if this XP system here is using different fonts, or a font file that contains the variations built in.

It's really weird, but various programs seem to handle such things differently... for instance, in Embellish, you get to choose font by name:
- Arial
- Arial Bold
- Arial Italic
- Arial Bold Italic

While in others, you would have to choose Arial, then select Bold and/or Italic in the font control window...

Thus, I am wondering if Cairo/FF3 does not recognize that the fonts are from the same family, sees Arial Bold, finds the "Arial family" and doesnt see Bold linked to it - and then doesnt bother to check the rest of the font names... it would explain why the first ones in each category work, and not the rest.

Just rambling at this point... I'm at a loss. I think I'll send an email to Peter in a bit, and let you all know what he says...

On to the page content sizing issue (FF3 loads the page, then resizes all content... images, tables, text; to some smaller size)... has anyone else experienced that? If so, I will send a note to him about that as well... if not, I will see if it is something weird that is particular to this system...

Thanks,
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Robert, can you contact him and ask about what is going on when I minimized FF3 and when I go to restore it, it draws the window frames/controls but leaves the rendered page blank showing through to whatever window it's on top of? This is only cured by refreshing the page.

ddan

Is there any way to change the fonts on FF3 _menus_ including address bar? These are in a hideous tiny Roman font, and for me, break the whole package.

Please restrict replies to within FF3, don't have / want the IFE complications.

Oh, and for once I can agree with Saijin_Naib: FF3 is MUCH slower than PmW-Fx 1.5, noticeable lag on bookmark menus and page rendering, though latter may be because I've left some web "feature" running (though have noscript and prefbar as in previous version), or haven't moved the cache to RAMFS, anyway it's a definite step backward but probably tolerable IF the menus and bookmarks were readable.

RobertM

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

warpcafe

Hi ddan,

Quote from: ddan on 2008.09.09, 20:08:36
Is there any way to change the fonts on FF3 _menus_ including address bar? These are in a hideous tiny Roman font, and for me, break the whole package.

ehhh... phew... there's a voice in the back of my head whispering "chrome"... but I can't remember if that applies to FF and especially FF3 for heaven's sake. I'm getting too old I guess.
Okay, listen: I remember that I once "patched" the Thunderbird UI config for a customer and (keeping fingers crossed) I *think* there were also settings for the font. Let me check if that is true and if that can be used in FF3.
Then, on the other hand, did you check if drag-n-drop'in a font from OS/2s font palette onto the FF3 menu bar works? :)) Dunno if that setting then is persisted correctly though. And sorry for not having OS/2|eCS at hand, otherwise I would have checked it immediately... sigh.

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

RobertM

Quote from: warpcafe on 2008.09.11, 00:28:43
Hi ddan,

Quote from: ddan on 2008.09.09, 20:08:36

ehhh... phew... there's a voice in the back of my head whispering "chrome"... but I can't remember if that applies to FF and especially FF3 for heaven's sake. I'm getting too old I guess.

Ugh... wish I knew the answer to that. I know the FF1.x builds would honor the WPS settings (and what a mess that would make if the menus were set to "System VIO" or similar font). I think (but could be horrendously mistaken) that FF2 did as well. FF3 on mine is using Times Roman instead of Arial as FF2 does.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Has anyone noticed some improper spacing or garbage characters when using the windows or other TTF files (Helvetica instead of Helv Times New Roman instead of Tmns Rmn) etc? I seem to be having some oddities with that (I've set them manually in Firefox for my encoding).

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.09.11, 02:05:23
Has anyone noticed some improper spacing or garbage characters when using the windows or other TTF files (Helvetica instead of Helv Times New Roman instead of Tmns Rmn) etc? I seem to be having some oddities with that (I've set them manually in Firefox for my encoding).

I haven't tried it - but those fonts are very ancient, and might be missing kerning information that Cairo needs. I solely use them in WinOS2 at this point.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

achain

Quote from: warpcafe on 2008.09.11, 00:28:43

Preparing userChrome.css in the profile-directory/chrome/ is still valid to customize FF3.0 and SM2.0 cosmetic.

ddan

Achain, thanks for the tip. Got me to the right area; I DID use "The Google" and "Help" before asking here, but didn't find anything for the menus.

However, while I enlarged menu font size, greatly reduces the number of items due to MUCH too great of line spacing. Editing to use others in the example.css resulted in losing the menu size change, and no change at all.

Also, seems to get slower every time I invoke it. Bookmarks in folders take half a second to appear, with a long lag on the highlighting too. Scrolling to get to bookmarks doesn't exactly work, hops around and jumps back to top of list. Discovered that it doesn't clear address bar history at all regardless of Options setting, and it's VERY slow on overall UI rendering, though does seem faster at rendering content.

So, count me unimpressed for now. I'm not carping, but definitely needs more work. -- I'm fine with PmW-Fx 1.5, didn't like version 2 either.