• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Problems with the System module

Started by sdennis, 2008.08.13, 18:39:12

Previous topic - Next topic

sdennis

Hi, everyone.

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this...anyhow, I'm having a strange problem with OS/2 and I'm not quite sure how to fix this.  Let me explain (and this is a little long-winded): I'm running Warp 4.52 (MCP2) on a Compaq Deskpro EN (P3/533, 640MB RAM) for my BBS.  The built-in video adapter is a ATI 3D Rage Pro with 8MB RAM.  I've been using this machine for nearly a year now with no problems.  However, recently, I bought a 19" monitor (a Gateway EV910).  I've made no other hardware changes to the board since I first bought it a year ago.

After installing the monitor on the machine, changing the resolution to 1280x1024@65K, all was well.  But, two days ago, I'd made some changes to CONFIG.SYS and had to reboot.  After rebooting, the system changed the resolution to 1280x1024i (interlaced), which with my crappy eyesight, I can't see very well.  I went back to change the resolution and then the oddest thing happened: when I selected the System module to change the resolution, the system acted like it was opening the module, but the System module was hiding in the background!

No matter what little tricks I did to coax it up to the foreground worked.  In fact, until I added SET RESTARTOBJECTS=STARTUPFOLDERSONLY, upon reboot, the System module would load and then lock the machine completely to where C-A-D wouldn't work (I have CADH installed).  Well, after a little more poking around, I decided to switch from the stock ATI driver to SNAP (SNAP/se 7.0 comes with Warp 4.52).

Same problem.  So, I switched it back to VGA from the Alt-F1 prompt, rebooted and the System module is STILL hiding!  I've never had this problem before and it's really frustrating.  Thankfully, the BBS and the BBS mail system are working perfectly in the background, but it's awful hard to do anything at 640x480...

So as the computer sits right now, I have the SNAP drivers installed at 640x480,  unable to get the resolution any higher as the System module is hiding in the background.  It shows up in the window list, in TOP and even if I CTRL-right click the Warpcenter window list button...but nothing seems to bring it to the front.

The only way I know of to fix this (after searching Google for a bit) is to reinstall OS/2.  I /really, really/ don't want to do that as I have things set just as I want them and the system is purring right along as it sits.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Sean
OS/2: Shuts gates, opens windows.

RobertM

Hi Sean,

Here are some other things you can try... These are not steps you need to do... each is a separate thing you can try. They are in no particular order... so choose to start at whichever one you want. Without knowing exactly what caused this, I am not sure which one (if any) will work (other than #3 restoring an older archive - which should work, or #5 if it is a DSSaver issue where something in DSSaver doesnt like the video changes or something removed from the config.sys file... though if it is DSSaver not liking an erroneous config.sys change, I'd fix the config.sys file instead of removing DSSaver).

Reinstall SNAP... this will hopefully correct any problems in the config.sys file

Restore to an earlier config.sys file from before the issues started (if system archiving is on, you can find one in the archives directory (c:\OS2\ARCHIVES\0# where # is the archive set, from most recent to oldest (0-9) followed by 0X which is the maintenance desktop which you DONT want to use).

If you dont have archiving enabled, then look in the root directory of your boot drive for backups that OS/2 created when installing various things for the most recent (and hope it's not a during install one) and use that one. You may have to modify entries in it to get things working since it was archived.

Go to an earlier archive (ALT-F2 on boot, select one from before the issue) as it is also possible some class got damaged.

Delete the "System/Screen" icons, restart, ensure they still dont exist on restart, install xWorkplace, restart, go into the "xWorkplace Settings" and switch to the "Objects" tab, pick "Default OS/2 objects" and ask it to recreate them (this may have to be done in conjunction with one or more of the things above)

If DSSaver is installed, boot to cmdline, and rename the directories and/or DLLs it uses and restart...

Also, was anything else reinstalled at the time this issue started, such as xWP, Styler/2, WPSWizard, etc, that would have tried modifying the "System/Screen" notebook? The only time I have had hangs opening it was with earlier versions of DSSaves installed and settings chosen that caused system hangs... but that was when switching to the DSSaver tab - so that doesnt seem like your problem.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi Sean

As the System object is misbehaving I suspect an ini file problem.

If I'm right use of checkini (in the WPTools package) followed by use of cleanini could resolve the problem(s).

WPtools http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/system/wptool32.zip

Cleanini http://www.ca-arnold.de/download/cleanini55.zip

Have you checked that the changes you made to CONFIG.SYS prior to the problem occurring are not the cause?

Regards

Pete

warpcafe

Hi Sean, all,

this is just plain guessing...
IIRC sometimes when changing video drivers, there is a change in DLLs that are used also for the system objects et.al. in the control panels. As yoou said you did some changes to the config.sys perhaps you changed a path somehow, making OS/2 now "prefer" a different version of a certain DLL...?

My suggestion would be to revert back to VGA, then re-install the native (not SNAP) driver for the ATI.
When prompted to replace newer files during these processes, allow for it ("YES, replace newer version").

I can't tell for SNAP but AFAIK the "unofficial" rule of thumb with video driver changes is to always switch back to standard VGA first, then (after reboot) switch to the preferred other driver.
Anyway, use my comments as a last resort - I would also try to recreate icons first using XWP like Robert suggested. And "cleanini" is always worth a try. ;)

Cheers, HTH
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Andi

Quote from: sdennis on 2008.08.13, 18:39:12
....any higher as the System module is hiding in the background.  It shows up in the window list, in TOP and even if I CTRL-right click the Warpcenter window list button...but nothing seems to bring it to the front.

Maybe I misunderstood your posting but, could it be that it is not in the 'background' but beyond the visual screen? In this case ALT F7 would be your friend.

warpcafe

Hey,

...wow. I was on the complete wrong way I guess.

Sean, did the system module disappear since you are using 640x480 or at the very moment when you tried to change the resolution but -at that point- still were using 1280x1024 ??

In the first case Andy is right and the window is in fact open but simply outside the (now) 640x480 area (displayed in no-mans land). Then, Alt-F7 ("move window" hotkey) will make you be able to try to move the window back into the visible area.
For this to work, the window must have the focus of course first: Simply launch the window list, change to the entry for the invisible window and then use Alt-F7... and then try to use the cursor keys to move the window upwards left...

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

RobertM

Guys,

I've been re-reading his post as well... it seems there are two problems if I am reading it properly... one being the System object being off-screen, the other being the system locking on startup if the System object is open:
No matter what little tricks I did to coax it up to the foreground worked.  In fact, until I added SET RESTARTOBJECTS=STARTUPFOLDERSONLY, upon reboot, the System module would load and then lock the machine completely to where C-A-D wouldn't work (I have CADH installed).  Well, after a little more poking around, I decided to switch from the stock ATI driver to SNAP (SNAP/se 7.0 comes with Warp 4.52).

Now, I am kinda confused.

Sean, if you can clarify what happened and what is happening, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

sdennis

Quote from: warpcafe on 2008.08.14, 15:18:27
In the first case Andy is right and the window is in fact open but simply outside the (now) 640x480 area (displayed in no-mans land). Then, Alt-F7 ("move window" hotkey) will make you be able to try to move the window back into the visible area.

For this to work, the window must have the focus of course first: Simply launch the window list, change to the entry for the invisible window and then use Alt-F7... and then try to use the cursor keys to move the window upwards left...

DING!  We have a winner! :)

What had happened is that not only was the window minimized, it was hiding behind my virtual desktop switcher (I use PMVDesk).  That little thing popped right up when I did what you suggested!

Thanks to you and everyone else who helped...wow, such a simple, elegant solution...that should've been right in front of my face.

--Sean
OS/2: Shuts gates, opens windows.