• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Firefox 3.01 hangs

Started by lewhoo, 2008.08.24, 22:23:05

Previous topic - Next topic

lewhoo

ACP1, firefox 3.01, SNAP

After a longer time of using firefox 3.01, when I close it, it frees some memory, than hangs the screen. I have to reboot to regain control of the system.

It happens always after long time of using. Perheaps some of you have encountered this problem before and know what can be the cause and how to fix it?

RobertM

Hi lewhoo,

I have run into that problem (I think)... what I have found is that the longer FF301 is running, the longer it takes to shut down. Sometimes it makes the system crawl or totally unusable (kinda like when it is loading)... but for me, it has finished shutting down on 99% of those occassions - IF I wait long enough, which could be many many minutes.

Sometimes I can kill FF using CADh, sometimes I cannot. Usually I just wait and see.

So, sadly I dont know how to fix it... but to circumvent it when I suspect it is going to happen (and dont want to wait), I dont shut down FF, I use CADh and hard kill it instead.

The other big issue I have is it crashing if Java is loaded by a page... even after re-installing the recommended Java and InnoWin plugin...

Ugh!
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

lewhoo

But do you have only 99% of CPU, but the screen is still refreshed? In my case, nothing is refreshed - clock, monitors etc. Also, I cannot switch to CADh - I hear the sound, but the screen is blocked... I assume it would be blocked no matter how long I wait.

And yes, ff 3.01 is quite unstable. Crashes on many pages, but I haven't found yet, what those pages have in common.

abwillis

I've seen what you describe in Seamonkey.  I have found that if I hit CAD once and Ctrl-Esc twice and wait it comes back after awhile.  When I mentioned this type of behavior to Steve Levine at Warpstock last weekend, he said it was the flash plugin causing it.

Ben

I've seen these problems here as well.

Those, and the lack of support for Flash, caused me to stop using it.

Of course, the disk thrashing because of the new database setup it uses, bothered me to.

There are things that I do like, however such as the superior screen loading speed and the additional addons that you can use like Fire FTP... though some addons that work with 2.* you can't use with 3.*.

Alas, I too, have no solutions to offer, but I await the next version.

DougB

FWIW, if I remove the Flash plugin from FF 3.01, I get roughly 10 days, before odd things start to happen to my system. With the Flash plugin, in FF 3.01, I get roughly 4 hours, before I have problems. I am convinced, that the Flash plugin is causing most of the problems with Firefox, and, probably, other things too.

Saijin_Naib

Also, don't forget to turn off the IFE for firefox now! It's anti-aliased through Cairo so we don't need the IFE making its memory leak magic on top of the Flash issues.

Ben

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.08.25, 05:28:59
Also, don't forget to turn off the IFE for firefox now! It's anti-aliased through Cairo so we don't need the IFE making its memory leak magic on top of the Flash issues.

I use both versions of Firefox, (well, not 3 any more, but my setup is 3 ready), so I renamed Firefox.exe for version 3 to Firefox3.exe and it works fine for both versions, IFE being disabled thus, for version 3.

That's the lowdown and dirty way to do it anyhow. 8)

RobertM

Ben and Saijin_Naib bring up a great point! Mine seems to be running a bit quicker too (not trying to double anti-alias?).

Now that they mention it, since I followed their suggestions last week to do just what they described, I've been having less hangs (though it still takes forever to start and shut down).

And, Saijin_Naib... if I didnt remember to say so earlier, thanks for pointing out the IFE thing. And Ben, as well, thanks for pointing out a very simple, fully working solution!!

Oh, and a note to people with SMP... it takes about 35-45 seconds to start FF3 on this machine (single 1.1GHz AMD)... multiple CPUs really seem to help... quad 550MHz takes 9 seconds to start (both machines using JFS), and very quick shutdown times. It runs far faster on SMP than the FF2 branch did... dunno why. Changing tabs with FF2 on the quad machine would take seconds (3-10) - even though the rest of it seemed snappy... on FF3, everything is instantaneous...

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

lewhoo

If the flash is the cause, the strange thing is that my screen hangs when memory is still being released after firefox window is no more visible... But it still may be so, I guess.

But thanks for the point with disabling IFE. I hope that will help a little :)

RobertM

lewhoo,

I think flash stays loaded until the browser shuts down (even if you then start visiting non-flash pages for the end of your browsing session).

I've even seen FF3 shut down (but it's icon remain "active") and found pieces of flash still loaded - FF2 will load at this point because FF3 unloaded itself (but just failed on unloading parts of flash).

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

No problem bobert :) The firefox rendering issue still remains, but without the double AA it's a bit quicker. I'm afraid to enable SMP because I have some nasty hangs with it, but I may be forced to eventually. Now, if somehow they could fix the rendering issue with OS/2 eCS I'd be very happy.

jep

I had the issues described, took a deep breath and downloaded Shiretoko 3.1a...

Wohooo, it flies, Flash 7 r68 work again, almost no crashes and neat effects with css:
text-shadow: black 0.1em 0.05em 0.2em;

and now it's even possible to surf for several hours... it can even return memory to the system and use less than previous releases.

Ditch 3.0.1 and go for 3.1, that's my advice!

//Jan-Erik

Ben

Greetings...

I read your post with interest, jep,  and decided to give Shiretoko 3.1a a go.

It loaded and ran fine, much better than 3.01a. However once I hit a Flashed site, it crashed like 3.01.  :)

I suspect it may have something to do with the Flash hack that fools some sites into thinking that it's Flash 8  that I have installed.

I'll check that out if I can get the time.

In the meantime, maybe others will have some success to report.

OriAl

I haven't tried to install FF3 yet.  I tried in XP SP3 (over FF2, so I then unistalled FF following Mozillazine instructions, keeping my profile), which I know even less about the little I know about OS/2, and it won't accept add-ons.  Nor will Seamonkey 1.1.11, for that matter. 

When I get to  trying FF3 in OS/2, how do I take care of IFE? 

Thanks, as always.

Alan