• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Lotus 1-2-3 1.7.1 Errors [fixed!]

Started by obiwan, 2008.08.31, 07:33:52

Previous topic - Next topic

obiwan

Hi/2,

I sat down today to what I thought would be an easy task, creating a simple spreadsheet, and ended up spending a few hours installing, uninstalling, and re-installing Lotus Smartsuite, believing I must have done something wrong in the process.

I'm installing on eComStation 1.2, the first time from the Smartsuite 1.7 CD, and the second time from Disk 3 of an earlier eComStation (the disk just says eComStation, with 2003 in small letters). It seems to install fine, and I reboot. When I try to launch Lotus 1-2-3, it shows the splash screen, and then gives an error dialog which reads:

QuoteLanguage resource for LTUIR22.DLL not found.
Reinstall the desired language version of Lotus 1-2-3.

Clicking OK causes the error to appear a second time, and then I click OK and it goes away. When I close the program the same error returns, and clicking OK just brings it up again, and again, forever, until I kill it from the WarpCenter.

Actually, with the regular Smartsuite CD, the error was truncated, so the title bar read "Lo," and the error read "La." That's why I uninstalled and dug out the other media. The eCS disk has the option to update from 1.7.0 to 1.7.1, and I tried with and without it. Can't seem to find where the later fixpaks can be downloaded, so I guess they can't. I don't imagine it would make a difference though.

It also has the "optional" fixes of a couple DLL's you can copy in. Doing that just keeps 1-2-3 from launching at all. Popuplog named one of them as the culprit, so I reinstalled again. Whee!

I certainly don't recall having this much trouble before. Does anyone understand what this is about?

ivan

This sounds as if you have hit the SOM/DSOM problem.

There is a discussion about this on the comp.os.os2.misc newsgroup, headed OLE error on SmartSuite 1.7 for OS/2.

Use http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=& to find it if you are not on usenet.

isycoed

The current release is FP3

Regards
Derrick Price

CDRWSel

About OLE errors,
restore all *.IR files under .\lotusw4\etc 

I always have an archive file with all *.ir in it in case of new error (my current level is fp3)

Remy   

Sander

I would have thought that the re-install would have taken care of any corrupt Lotus .IR files.  As a practical matter, CDRWSel's suggestion of keeping a good copy of the IR files as a backup is wise, although through all the versions, and years I have used SS, I have only needed to use my backup once.  YMMV. 

Obiwan, if you look at those IR files, are any of them 0 byte, or 32 bytes in size?

x:\LOTUSW4\ETC\L14SOM.IR
x:\LOTUSW4\ETC\LTSRXO20.IR
x:\LOTUSW4\ETC\LTSCTO39.IR
x:\LOTUSW4\ETC\LTSOMO10.IR
x:\LOTUSW4\ETC\LTOLSO20.IR
x:\LOTUSW4\ETC\WPSC2.IR
x:\LOTUSW4\ETC\ORGANIZE.IR
x:\LOTUSW4\ETC\APPROACH.IR
x:\LOTUSW4\ETC\FLG.IR

Also while your at it, check your bootdrive x:\OS2\ETC for the same.

X:\os2\ETC\REXX.IR
X:\os2\ETC\WPDSERV.IR
X:\os2\ETC\WPSH.IR
X:\os2\ETC\SOM.IR

For help with bringing SmartSuite up to it's current level, you might want to edit your profile to allow your email address to be shown.  :-)

obiwan

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

The thread ivan mentions could be relevant. The poster in that thread solved his problem by copying over the contents of \os2\etc\dsom from a working system. So I installed SS on another system, found that it worked fine, backed up the directory, copied the "good" ones over, and rebooted. The problem persisted, so I put it back and rebooted again.

Also tried what Lars suggested there, installed the developer's toolkit and ran pregimpl.exe, to see if it fails. It opened ok, wasn't sure what to do after that.

Sander:

LTUIR22.DLL is indeed in D:\LOTUSW4\COMPNENT, and LIBPATH looks OK to me:

LIBPATH=.;D:\LOTUSW4\COMPNENT;D:\LOTUSW4\ORGANIZE;D:\LOTUSW4\APPROACH;D:\LOTUSW4\123;C:\IBMLAN\NETLIB;C:\MUGLIB\DLL;C:\ECS\DLL;C:\OS2\DLL;C:\MPTN\DLL;
C:\IBMCOM\DLL;C:\IBMGSK50\LIB;C:\IBMGSK40\LIB;C:\IBMGSK\LIB;C:\TCPIP\DLL;C:\OS2\MDOS;C:\;C:\OS2\APPS\DLL;C:\EMX\DLL;C:\PRTUTILS\MARKVIS;C:\JAVA11\DLL;
C:\MMOS2\DLL;C:\MMOS2\FREEDB;D:\WATCOM\BINP\DLL;C:\TOOLS\System\dll;C:\SDL\SDL;D:\LOTUSW4\FLG;D:\LOTUSW4\WORDPRO;D:\LOTUSW4\COMPNENT\FLTERS97;
D:\OS2TK45\som\common\dll;D:\OS2TK45\som\lib;D:\OS2TK45\dll;D:\OS2TK45\samples\mm\dll;

None of the files you listed are 0 byte or 32 bytes:

Code (D:\LOTUSW4\ETC) Select

5/21/97 11:59a       106,656      0 a---  approach.ir
8/06/96  9:27p         5,271      0 ----  flg.ir
0/23/01  7:15a       223,215      0 ----  l14som.ir
3/03/99  4:10a       154,584      0 a---  ltolso20.ir
2/23/00  2:31a       332,629      0 a---  ltscto39.ir
2/23/00  2:26a       119,850      0 a---  ltsomo10.ir
2/23/00  2:41a        78,578      0 a---  ltsrxo20.ir
6/03/97  4:00p        10,020      0 ----  organize.ir
2/10/97 11:21a        31,248      0 a---  wpsc2.ir

Code (C:\OS2\ETC) Select

9/06/00 12:42p        66,058      0 a---  REXX.IR
6/30/99  4:28p       496,503      0 a---  SOM.IR
10/02/01  5:44p        60,855      0 a---  WPDSERV.IR
10/02/01  5:35p       274,823      0 a---  WPSH.IR

I took your suggestion regarding my address.

I guess I could try putting some more time into comparing pregimpl.exe on the two systems.

If I am to switch to another application, I would seriously not choose another Lotus one, except maybe an older version of 1-2-3, if I can find one more native to /2.

saborion2

Re:

QuoteIf I am to switch to another application, I would seriously not choose another Lotus one, except maybe an older version of 1-2-3, if I can find one more native to /2.

I have copies of "Lotus SmartSuite for OS/2 Warp 4.0 Part No. T14970" and "Lotus SmartSuite for OS/2 Warp 4 Release 1.1 Part No. CD63XNA" but not running them presently.

I am paying keen attention to what is said on this thread; and, if I can get copies of these burnt soon enough and you can use these then perhaps I can send you them.

I believe your best alternative (if you are considering "switching application") for the time being might be Open Office for Serenity System's eCS.  8)

Best regards,

SAB

obiwan

That is kind of you to offer, saborion2, and I appreciate it. However, "Lotus Smartsuite for OS/2 Warp" is the same product. By older, I meant the original 1-2-3, e.g. version 3, written for native OS/2, rather than ported from Windows using Open32, as SS appears to have been.

OpenOffice is a valid option. I have it on Linux now.

You know, guys, I have only recently installed eCS on this system after a hard drive crash, and haven't even finished setting it back up again. If wiping it out and starting over is likely to fix it, I'm willing to give that a shot.

Sander

Obiwan, I am mailing you some notes relative to your CONFIG.SYS, as well as some other things to bring you up to date.  Please check the config notes against your own CONFIG.SYS. 

One way or the other, this should be fixable, and the latest 123 along with the latest updates is much nicer than the ("old") original OS/2 version.  It also gives you the updated Excel filters, should you need to view, share, or modify a spreadsheet.  That has been an important feature for me at times.  Hang in there.  :-)

obiwan

Thanks, Sander. I like the "can fix" attitude. I never used the old 1-2-3, so I'll take your word for it. I'd rather use 1-2-3 than OO.o.

If sending a zip file, you might need to leave off the .zip extension to get Gmail to accept it.

obiwan

Fixed it.

Even went through a reinstall of the OS, and SmartSuite yet again, and still had the problem.

The common denominator was that I keep setting the Codepage during install to 1004,850. Changing this to 850,1004 fixed it.

Alternatively, one can set the codepage for an application in the program object's properties, and that has the same effect.

Thanks to all who made such a generous effort to help.

Saijin_Naib

Obi, what is the difference between setting the codepage from 850,1004 to 1004,850? I don't understand what those mean other than US english (I think).

obiwan

The difference is that the first one is the default. I don't really know, but I would guess a well-behaved OS/2 application would fall back to the second one if it doesn't support the first, but SS was ported from Windows to OS/2 as sort of an afterthought, so "best behavior" is not it's strong point.

It seems it attempts to determine the language by checking the codepage, so since it didn't recognize 1004, it assumed it was some language it lacked support for, hence the error about installing the correct language.

RobertM

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|