• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Accessing Linux JFS partitions on OS/2

Started by djcaetano, 2008.09.01, 23:13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

BigWarpGuy

I am hoping to one day replace the Win on my one computer with ReactOS. http://www.reactos.org It will not replace eCS on my other computers. When I need to use Win, I hope to use ROS instead.  8)

ddan

Ah, can always count on someone here to dart out from under the bridge to
counter the least adverse mention of XP. No offense, still, but I'm beginning
to be intrigued enough to dig through the archives and establish that pattern.

Anyhoo, I'm happy to be diverted from extolling the merits of OS/2 to my
second favorite topic and respond with facts from a perhaps wider eXPerience.

Just last weekend, I watched an experienced computer guy attempt to install XP
drivers on a Sony Vaio, after _I_ wasted an hour on it, having to start from
scratch after the first set of official drivers from the Sony site trashed the
installation. Took him four hours of digging around and experiment to get the
right driver. Not XP's fault, you say? SORT OF not, but you missed how XP came
up on the first real boot with nothing but background and mouse cursor, no
response to clicks or keyboard, literally required a re-start before it would
start.

Later that day, another experienced tech trashed a Win98 installation by...
wait for it... attempting to update with IE6.

My own efforts on the mentioned system were to remove as much as I could of
the official spyware Crimosoft installs by default ── even the time set phones
home; get rid of the gaping security hole that they call IE and replace it
with Firefox, disable Messenger by renaming the directory, disable everything
automatic and remove the menu choices, set the menus and views to "classic"
view, turn off system restore that NEVER works but does waste 10% of HD space,
all the while gritting my teeth at cartoon icons with the balloon tips popping
up. ── I'm not going online with IE, haven't used it but literally three times
since a perfectly innocent click on a Google search for "sheet metal shear"
began loading XXXToolbar and every other known virus, and though I managed to
hit the hardware reset before FULLY infected, was left with IE's address bar
hijacked so effectively that re-installing was easier than rooting it out.

Just doing a minimum before I could in good conscience pass it on to someone
else, and not incidentally, hope that I wouldn't have to re-install after some
attack that uses "features" specifically designed to facilitate attacks.

Saijin_Naib

You seem to have gone about it ass-backwards taking (purposefully?) the most difficult route to work against XP rather than working with it which is quite easy. Also, I don't "dart out", I've been here for a while and most everyone knows how I feel about any of the 4 main operating systems that ever get discussed here.

I've established my views thoroughly and have provided ample justification and I don't feel like I need explain myself further to anyone, least of all you. I will come and point out when people are just pissing and moaning about Windows or Microsoft just because it makes them feel cool or something, but I try and control myself. I mean, who likes to be called out for being a sensationalist?

In any case, drivers are not MS responsibility, and Sony VAIOs have a very bad reputation for being steaming piles of crap much like the Apple products they emulate.

"XP came
up on the first real boot with nothing but background and mouse cursor, no
response to clicks or keyboard, literally required a re-start before it would
start."

Substitute XP for eCS and no, I've missed nothing. XP was probably booted off an improper hardware config and restarting it refreshed it, much like booting eCS with the enable hardware detection option would do.

In regards to the topic at hand (being JFS and OS/2's supposedly half-assed implementation) I say screw case-sensitive filesystems. I don't regard ThisFile as being any different than thisfile. I name using words to illustrate to myself the contents of the file, not the casing of those self-same words. Now, having eCS be case-aware and saving proper case is, of course, excellent so are able to use that "feature?" if you wish when mounted under a Linux distro.

El Vato

Quote from: ddan on 2008.09.06, 07:30:28
El Vato: "The denial that I see from old timers, understandably or not, and
those who refuse to acknowledge change is required, not only of the OS/2
itself but also of themselves as users of that system, is the equivalent of
shoveling smoke and believing that they see clearly."

Gee, I hardly know where to peg myself in there, old timer or Luddite. Hmm.

Luddite
Luddite Lud"dite, n.
One of a number of riotous persons in England, who for six
years (1811-17) tried to prevent the use of labor-saving
machinery by breaking it, burning factories, etc.; -- so
called from Ned Lud, a half-witted man who some years
previously had broken stocking frames. --J. & H. Smith. --H.
Martineau.
[1913 Webster]

Hummm...I wonder that myself.

If you did not get it, the above somewhat detailed posts have the potential to save data for an OS/2er *free* when OS/2 can not --for whatever reason-- check the non-spanned OS/2 LVM JFS formatted partition/volume.

Now, since I continue to hear your shoveling but can see nothing due to the smoke all around you, I will let my Penguin's flapping clear some spot to find out where you are ...aha!

"...Its quirks and peculiarities are NOTHING
next to the maddening nagging and ceaseless stupidity of XP that I suffered
this week on a new installation (that _I_ will NOT be using). Ran out of
energy and patience before looking up how to turn off balloon tips, but that's
next. ── ....
"

You are hysterical ranting because your issues nstalling Billy's creation has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.

- Samuel Johnson

John

Hi,

I'd just like to point out that with my little dabbling with various distros of Linux, I've found it extremely stable and a very definitive alternative to MS offerings. Also, think of all the great open source software that has been ported to OS/2 by Paul Smedley and others, please forgive me for not mentioning all those who've contributed to keep OS/2 "Alive".

In short, much would be gained from an Open Source OS/2
... too tired, going off topic.

Cheers,

John.

Ben

Quote from: El Vato on 2008.09.06, 22:35:01
Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.

- Samuel Johnson

Quite true.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately), this is a learned response that is instilled in children upon entering school.

One can break the conditioning if the will/desire is strong enough, but generally speaking, in this area, Samuel Johnson is dead on.

Excessive interbreeding, (and the insanity it delivers), is a well-known condition and often written on, (both before and after Johnson), by those that helped inflict this condition, while pretending to be superior.

It's easy to intellectually look down upon a person, (who is by birth, smarter), to whom you have just tricked into drinking a cup of mercury, all the while pretending to be on the poor sod's side. This is a mental sickness that goes hand in hand with elite interbreeding.

"Outline of History"; Wells, H.G.
Quote"...it was held that the Pharaohs, being of so divine a strain, could not marry common clay, and consequently they were accustomed to marry blood relations within the degrees of consanguinity... even marrying their sisters."

And Velikovski, "Oedipus and Akhnaton";
QuoteIncest between brother and sister was a very usual, even quite regular, affair..."

And Sophocles, "Antigone, II"
Quote"...the wretched mother's slumber at the side of her own son."

And, finally, I give you  Freud, Sigmund;

Quote"We may surmise that the anxious concern for "family" in our higher nobility is a remnant of that old privilege, and we observe that, as a consequence of inbreeding continued through many generations in the highest social circles, the crowned heads of Europe today consist in effect of one family."

There are countless examples of the self-inflicted insanity of those that mislead us.

Knowing this makes much of today, very clear.

ddan

I think I've been re-directed by one of those DNS attacks! While the address bar reads "os2world", Crimosoft is HOTLY defended here!

More seriously, will someone PLEASE answer any of my previous questions, particularly as to where this "new" or "open source" OS/2 is to come from?

Ben

They're talking about the "Voyager" Project.

It's head quartered at Netlabs.

Try this link.

That will start you off anyways.

I hope this helps you.

Saijin_Naib

1)
http://www.osfree.org/wiki/doku.php

2)
http://voyager.netlabs.org/en/site/index.xml

No, you have not suffered a DNS attack, just a denial of FUD attack.

Again, I beg of you, use a search engine.

saborion2

Re:

Quote from: Ben on 2008.09.07, 03:21:21
They're talking about the "Voyager" Project.

It's head quartered at Netlabs.

Try this link.

That will start you off anyways.

I hope this helps you.

FYI, "CASSINI" can also be on the way (hopefully, to help in cleaning up some of the "JFS Partitions on OS/2" debris fields)  ;D

TOP SECRET

[......]we are not interested in pursuing further discussions at this
time.  The [......] Venture Capital Group does not perform equity or seed
funding.  Rather, they engage with established venture capital firms that
offer technology relevant to the (hint, hint, hint....) industries and customers [......] serves [.....] 8) ::) ::)

Question: Is it all about the money or not (or is it about the size of the OS/2 Market Share) that will influence the direction of OS/2's development - Open Source or Proprietary?  8)

Best regards,

SAB

saborion2

Re:

Quote from: djcaetano on 2008.09.01, 23:13:38

Last week I installed Ubuntu Linux 8.04 in my machine, in the place of the old Debian Etch.
Since Ubuntu gave me the option, I formated Linux partitions as JFS.

When I restarted OS/2 (Warp 4.52, release 2) I launched Logical Volume Manager and
found out that the Linux formated partitions are presented just as "Linux" and filesystem
unknown. I was able to select a drive letter for them, but OS/2 cannot read those drives.

I noticed that every Linux partition is maked as "Type 83". Should I modify it's number to
type 35? Or should I reformat those partitions with OS/2 and tell Linux to not touch their
partition structure?

Also, anyone has any experience on mounting OS/2 JFS partitions on Linux? I was
not able to mount them on Linux either.

After all, Linux JFS and OS/2 JFS are compatible or not? :P

Thanks in advance.

Just curious to know why is it that you are/were playing around with Linux when the banks (the guys that control the money) went with Windows?  ???

IBM, Bankers at Odds Over OS/2 Migration Path
Vendor advises OS/2 users to switch to Linux, but ATM makers are leading push to Windows

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/story/0,10801,83884,00.html

Regards,

SAB

ddan

All: Let me narrow it down. Does anyone here KNOW anything of the ACTUAL status of these projects?

I'd guess that one brake on progress on "Voyager" among others, is that instead of Fear, Uncertainty, and Dread, OS/2 provides Calm, Certainty, and Contentment. There isn't any pressing need for a new version, however wonderful, unless one develops a case of "eye-candy" envy. Maybe we could at least agree that OS/2 is the "Classic" OS, the standard by which we judge the, uh, more recent.

saborion2

Re:

Quote from: ddan on 2008.09.07, 12:53:25
All: Let me narrow it down. Does anyone here KNOW anything of the ACTUAL status of these projects?

I'd guess that one brake on progress on "Voyager" among others, is that instead of Fear, Uncertainty, and Dread, OS/2 provides Calm, Certainty, and Contentment. There isn't any pressing need for a new version, however wonderful, unless one develops a case of "eye-candy" envy. Maybe we could at least agree that OS/2 is the "Classic" OS, the standard by which we judge the, uh, more recent.

Well, if OS/2's/eCS' limitations in terms of their inabilities to run an "eye-candied" applications such as IBM's Lotus Symphony (which incidentally runs on Windows and Linux) are to be as the "brakes" (friction) with which OS/2's-eCS' development are presently held then so be it. Imagine yourself as a U.S Presidential Candidate facing elections in less than sixty days and do not know what are the underlying Operating Systems that run the "V-O-T-I-N-G M-A-C-H-I-N-E-S" on which the results of the elections depend and the last time they were upgraded; also, not knowing how an modernized OS/2 can impact the state of the economy..... If then, this is the assumed
QuoteCalm, Certainty, and Contentment
with which your campaign are approaching election date then there may be updated "Windows and Linux" news awaiting you (included news from the ATM Market Place)!  8)

Regards,

SAB

djcaetano

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.09.07, 05:41:13
Just curious to know why is it that you are/were playing around with Linux when the banks (the guys that control the money) went with Windows?  ???

I am still wishing for a "finished Linux" (I had not found one, yet). Ubuntu
seems to be reaching the minimum level of usability I expect, but there are
some weird problems I can't really explain (and nobody seems to have a
solution on the net).

For those interested, once gdm is loaded, the keyboard just locks up...
well, sometimes it locks up; sometimes not. I had not the time to remove
gdm and see if "startx" will work ok.

IBM, Bankers at Odds Over OS/2 Migration Path
Vendor advises OS/2 users to switch to Linux, but ATM makers are leading push to Windows
http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/story/0,10801,83884,00.html

Bank decisions have nothing to do with "good" or "bad" software;
Their decisions are more related to money and marketing.

saborion2

Re:

QuoteBank decisions have nothing to do with "good" or "bad" software;
Their decisions are more related to money and marketing.

How on earth will "sound decisions" by the "banks" (and other decision makers) be made if "accurate analyses and reporting" are not completed on "expertly developed and manufactured software and hardware".  ???