• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Acer Aspire One Netbook Laptop

Started by MrJinx, 2008.09.05, 21:10:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

It's how I have installed Xubuntu on my Cloudbook. I'd really like to be able to do the same for eCS. I would post a bounty but I'm rather short on money and I don't want to put more out there until atleast my first bounty is picked up.

MrJinx

I just had to post something, All 4 of the netbooks being discussed are now at the top of the OS/2 world forum list!
Mensys should see these are definetly  popular for eCS! Priority support please.  ;D

Saijin_Naib

Absolutely. I vote for support for the VIA CPU/chipset as well. I'm so happy with my C7-M it's not even funny. It gets the same battery life as the 5200mah eeePC with a 2200mah battery (even though it has a HDD and not an SSD). That's pretty win :)

melf

I don't know if I shall call this a solution to the wlan problem, but at least a partial one. From the aspireone user forum I got a link to latest driver, 7.6.1.106. I'va also updated my bios to the latest v 3305. Well doing that gets this behaviour: Wlan works about 2 minutes, the drops out for 30 s, then come back and works for 2 minutes and so on. That makes it possible to download thongs without watching all the time and it makes it possible to use a local network and stay connected.  Not the best, but better than before.

Driver is here: http://www.badongo.com/file/11852092  . Download button is to the right - you have to enter a code first.
/Mikael

MrJinx

It's great to hear you got a little further. I have tried that version previously. Even a few minutes is better than what we were getting.
I had previously reported the 1.3 version of the Realtek 8169 driver for OS/2 loaded wiith the onboard RTL 810x NIC but failed to communicate. If you add EARLYMEMINIT=TRUE to the config.sys the driver works! eCS 2.0 rc5 ships with the 1.2 version of the driver. Get the 1.3 version from www.os2warp.be, Thanks to the poster in the "Loading Fat32 driver hoses my NIC" posting, for the insight. I had rem'd uniaud to you name it and I never would have tried removing the fat32 driver or adding this entry.
I don't have my Atheros wireless card installed any more. However it would be interesting to see if EARLYMEMINIT=TRUE helps with that as well.

melf

I did try EARLYMINIT=TRUE after reading the same posting, but that doesn't affect the atheros card, sorry! But it was really good news to hear that this could make the wired connection to work. Looking att the aspireone user board it seems like more people now got the atheros working even if problems seems to have been many with that card.

UPDATE: Wired connection works here too! Great Mr Jinx.
/Mikael

Sigurd

Hi melf,

I really appriciate all the great efforts you make to get eCS run with this netbook! This information here I got from Ed Durrant regarding his new HOWTO on eCS with the ASUS EEE 701/900 that uses the same WLAN as you already know.

I will just copy this part of his mail:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes and it's up on Hobbes in a zip file with the modified driver hacks
at the moment. .....

....The WiFi works very well indeed, I simply DO NOT get the drop out after
30 seconds that you and others have experienced.
I don't know what is
different ? In the next write-up I'll probably need to add that the
cabled ethernet connection ("Lan1") needs to be enabled and configured
with static IP and DNS settings in TCPCFG2 as using just my instructions
the port is not enabled (not sure why, but it's no "biggie").

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope, this gives you some new hope  ;) and wish you the best to reach the goal!!

Sigurd

melf

Hi Sigurd,
well that bring some kind off hope definitely. Thanks for the kind words, I just want to make it work and really rely on guys like you, Ed and Mr Jinx here :-) . Acer one is such a "sweet" machine, it works so fast and smoth in eCs compared to winXP. The last problem is in fact the atheros card - and it is frustrating. The touchpad coming up in a locked manner is no big thing. Shouldn't it be possible to write som script that switches the pad on at start up?
/Mikael

morc

These are interesting news. Thanks to everybody for the efforts

Sigurd

Hi,

at Warpstock Düsseldorf the RC 6 has been shown. This has included support for the ASUS 701/900 models regarding WLAN. You can choose the Adapter during Install process. I was able to see the driver work WITHOUT any timeout/Interruption on a 701.

I do not know but it seems to be a different one to the "patched" we used before.

In addition there is an option (following the workaround given with RC5) to install RC6 direct from USB CD Drive. This can be choosen during the "Installation with own values" menue.

So these problems should be solved as soon as the RC6 is availiable via Mensys.

Cheers

Sigurd

melf

That sounds certainly promising,thanks for the news!
/Mikael

MrJinx

That's good news!

I think the Acer's issue with the Atheros card is relative to something in their bios power management routines, 30 secs is a strange # as well as no wifi light. the other tip was when I installed the Dell broadcom card, The wifi light comes on bright during bios post and then goes slightly dimmer once the genmac driver hits. The bios doesn't know how to control that card so it keeps power applied and doesn't try to manage it.

Using the atheros is a better option for battery life if we could figure out where in the ACPI table to poke a value to keep the wifi light on. I don't think the Asus machines attempt to manage the card through the bios but in the OS only.

With that said, Let's hope the patched version overcomes the problem.

melf

Quoting a posting at news.ecomstation.com by Bill Silverstein, http://news.ecomstation.com/article.php?id=9699&group=ecomstation.support.hardware#9699

"http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/news/20081129/sam-leffler-releases-hal-source

The HAL source for the Atheros chipset has been released. This may be useful in building an OS/2 version of the driver as opposed to struggling with a wrapper."

Could this be useful in genmac wrapper as well?
/Mikael

melf

Quote from: Sigurd on 2008.11.19, 08:24:19
Hi,

at Warpstock Düsseldorf the RC 6 has been shown. This has included support for the ASUS 701/900 models regarding WLAN. You can choose the Adapter during Install process. I was able to see the driver work WITHOUT any timeout/Interruption on a 701.

I do not know but it seems to be a different one to the "patched" we used before.

In addition there is an option (following the workaround given with RC5) to install RC6 direct from USB CD Drive. This can be choosen during the "Installation with own values" menue.

So these problems should be solved as soon as the RC6 is availiable via Mensys.

Cheers

Sigurd

Unfortunately there is no new driver for eeepc or acer one. As I can see it's the same as before. Installation via usb cd-drive does not work for me either. I got error drive 00 code=08, error drive 01 code=08 and then OS2!! SYS 02025, and 02027.
/Mikael

melf

Now I've given up the atheros wlan card. I bought an intel 3945 abg mini pcie [8086:4222] for my Acer One. To exchange it was in fact easy - took me ten minutes, when prepared with this instructiv video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xKSpW3q0GY&feature=related . It shows how to change RAM, but on the way you also see the wlan-card.

At first it didn't seem to work. Installing was fine, card detected and so on but no signal. I could detect other networks around but they were weaker than normal. Tried different drivers, but no luck - just problems. So I happenend to come near my router and there it was a signal and the card worked! So I red around a bit and saw some problems with xwlan 3.x and  this card. Installed xwlan 2.13 instead - and yeah it works great - full signal strenght. Bad thing is you lose the possibility to use WPA. But the great function overrides this.

UPDATE:
I seem to have been just to positive. There is dropouts also with this card!! There is a longer "uptime" than with atheros but also a longer "down" time.
/Mikael