• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Real media?

Started by Ben, 2008.09.16, 23:09:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Greetings,

Is there any way to convert a file in the Real Media format into a real media format?

That is to say, to a usable format? like OGG or FLAC or WAV or even MP3?

Thank-you.

Saijin_Naib

I'd wager mencoder could handle this task, but I'm really not sure myself. I typically use Stereo Mix loopback to WAV to convert the really obscure audio formats, then WAV to whatever. Not sure if you can do stero-mix loopback in OS/2 though.

RobertM

I believe mencoder supports RM Audio - in which case it is trivial to re-encode it to another format (there's a great tutorial and reference on the mPlayer/mEncoder site).

saijin_naib,
As for from other formats such as WAV to less known formats (FLAC, OGG, etc), OS/2 handles those quite easily with very minimal scripting, and no need for stereo loopback.

I already have OGG and FLAC as options... right click on a WAV file, look for "Convert To" and see what's on your sub-menu.

There is a collection of MM extensions out there written by TeamOS/2 Japan that will extend that list greatly as well... or a simple commandline batch file (or REXX script) can be used as well, to add any additional conversion functionality using mEncoder, or most of (if not all of) the various codecs that have been recently uploaded to Hobbes.

Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

The Blue Warper

You can also try SoX (short for Sound eXchange), that is able to convert sound files into a great number of audio file formats, though I fear it can't handle Real Media files, as needed by Ben.
Last version compiled for OS/2 (that I know of, at least) is 12.17.4 and is available on hobbes, but it's dated 2004.

Ben

Some good information there, people, and I thank you all.

I'll give them a try and post the results.

If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to post.