• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

NETBEUI - File sharing between OS/2 and Windows XP

Started by miturbide, 2008.09.22, 23:19:45

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

Hi

Is there a good tutorial, or online documentation about file sharing between OS/2 Warp 4.52 (or eCS) and Windows XP arround ?

Regards
Martin
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

saborion2

Quote from: miturbide on 2008.09.22, 23:19:45
Hi

Is there a good tutorial, or online documentation about file sharing between OS/2 Warp 4.52 (or eCS) and Windows XP arround ?

Regards
Martin

While I am not quite sure.... but, is this not what "SAMBA" is supposed to enable (the sharing of files between OS/2 Warp 4.52 (or eCS) and Windows XP et cetera, et cetera....)!  8)

See if this information helps:

What is Samba?

As the front page at samba.org says, "Samba is an Open Source/Free Software suite that provides seamless file and print services to SMB/CIFS clients." Samba is freely available, unlike other SMB/CIFS implementations, and allows for interoperability between Linux/Unix servers and Windows-based clients......]

http://us1.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html

Also,

SAMBA for OS/2 and eCS

Samba is a SMB/CIFS protocols file and print sharing server/client set originaly made for UNIX world to cooperate with corresponding Windows and OS/2 servers or clients.

OS/2 has native implementation of SMB/CIFS server/client set - IBM LAN Manager and IBM Peer. These products haven't been updated for a long time and have some compatibility problems with modern Windows SMB/CIFS implementations.

http://samba.netlabs.org/en/site/index.xml

Best regards and good luck.

SAB

John

Hi,

Please excuse this Martin, I've had no success with networking OS/2 - eCS and Windows but do recall seeing in an old thread that one needs to edit a registry file on the MS Windows machine. I myself have been trying to migrate completely away from MS Windows and been dabbling around with various Linux Distros which leads me to a call for help regarding networking an eCS and a Linux box (Currently using Linux Mint 5 R1 which is based on Ubuntu 8.04.1).

My current problem is that I can see both my eCS shares and my Linux box from : Network Utilities, File and Print Client Resource Browser but when I try to open my Linux share I get a prompt asking me for a password? I've no passwords set on my Linux box for the Local network. On the other hand I can browse my eCS shares and transfer files from and to my Linux box. A point worth mentioning is that in order to get that far I had to make sure that my Domain was set to WORKGROUP on both machines.

Another question I have is during my experiments of transferring files between Linux and Windows and Linux and eCS on the SAME Hardware I noted that I seem to get better performance from the eCS box at an average of 4 MB/sec versus the MS Windows box at 3.8 MB/sec. The Linux box has onboard Gigabit lan vs eCS/Win 100Mb lan - I was under the impression that I should be achieving around about 12.5 MBytes/sec according to my calculations. Curious to know what the optimum throughput should be for various type network cards ie 10/100/1000 Mb lan cards.

Please excuse if I should have posted this in another thread.

Regards,

John.

John

Hi again,

This may be of some help : Surviving with OS/2 Warp in a sea of Windows, haven't read thru all of it yet but have bookmarked it.

http://os2.markoverholser.com/mirrors/home.austin.rr.com/byteenable/sea.htm

Hope this helps too.

Cheers,

John.

Blonde Guy

I reposted someone's Warpstock presentation on home networking a while ago at a BayWarp meeting. It was a pretty good writeup.

http://www.baywarp.org/features/home.shtml
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

ddan

Er, pardon me if I completely misunderstand your question, but isn't that answered by RobertM and others in this thread?
http://www.os2world.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,63/topic,255.0/

RobertM mentions NETBEUI right off, so LOOKS to me exactly on topic...

However, I do know some facts for John: 4Mbytes/S over a 100Mbit/S wire may be all that you get with a given protocol, CPUs, current load, and mix of files (many small files are slower than 1 large). I routinely get 10Mbytes/S using FTP between Linux and OS/2 boxes, and that's probably a practical top; all the items that I mention only slow it,of course. Assuming fast systems, most significant (or common) seems to be small files, but other heavy disk activity at either end cuts it down too.

John

Thanks for the info and help ddan,

Could you please advise on how to browse my Linux box from eCS, as mentioned it shows in the File and Print Client Resource Browser but asks for a password when I attempt to browse it. Which password would that be? Will in future figure out the FTP solution for transferring files.

Thanks and regards,

John.

Saijin_Naib

I find that eCS can see everybody on the network IF there is a Vista machine on my local part of the network (subnet). Apparently, Vista broadcasts everything in a way that my P-Node eCS box can accept. If my roomate switches back to XP or Linux then all I will see are the 3 or 4 Macs, none of the Samba or XP/Vista machines. Granted, I'm extrapolating cause from correlation, but it's the best I can do without some further testing that I would not even be able to go about figuring out.

ddan

Sorry, John, but I only FTP, all I need; you're already WAY ahead of me on the rest. OTOH, FTP is so NOT difficult that would be my first step IF I ever attempted networking, just to be sure the machines could find each other.

But looks to me that the linked thread is also relevant, may have what you need, or a clue.

miturbide

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

IBManners

Hi,

To share files between OS/2 - eComStation and XP without going to the trouble of using Samba,
you need to add standard NetBEUI to XP.

Taken from my XP tips file, which I think I nabbed from the Mickeymouse website

You can find the NetBEUI protocol on the Windows XP CD-ROM in the Valueadd folder.

The files that you need for installing the NetBEUI protocol
on Windows XP are Netnbf.inf and Nbf.sys. To install NetBEUI,
follow these steps:

1.   Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive and
        then locate the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.
2.   Copy the Nbf.sys file to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers
        folder.
3.   Copy the Netnbf.inf file to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden folder.

Note To make a hidden folder viewable, follow these steps:
a.    Click Start, click Run, type Explorer, and then click OK.
b.    Click Tools, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
c.    Under Advanced Settings, click to select Show hidden files and
        folders under the Hidden files and folders Folder.
4.   Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network
        Connections.
5.   Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then
        click Properties.
6.   On the General tab, click Install.
7.   Click Protocol, and then click Add.
8.   Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK.
9.   Restart your computer if you are prompted to do this.
The NetBEUI protocol is now installed and working.

Note %SYSTEMROOT% is a Windows environment variable that identifies the
folder where Windows XP is installed. (Typically, that folder is
C:\Windows.) To view the value that is associated with %SYSTEMROOT%,
type set at a command prompt, and then press ENTER. (Other environment
values will also be displayed.)

Note After following the steps that are listed earlier in this article,
you can use NetBEUI on LAN connections. However, you will not be able
to use NetBEUI on a remote access connection. Remote access connections
cannot use NetBeui.

Cheers
Ian Manners
I am the computer, it is me.

ddan

RobertM, or some other moderator:
This splitting into "OFF TOPIC" with rest of title intact just isn't working. Two GOOD posters that I was interested to read have already (apparently) mistaken the "OFF TOPIC" thread for this one, to the delight no doubt, of the one who goes "OFF TOPIC".

I think the intent is now unmistakable, and that "moderation" will only change -- and even expand -- the ways we're annoyed without changing that intent.

ddan

For those interested in NETBEUI and not off-topic rambling, I take the liberty to quote here two posts that were effectively hijacked:

Quote from: herwigb on 2008.09.24, 09:36:57
Regarding NetBEUI filesharing between OS/2 and Windows XP:

Basically this works, BUT the XP machine will exhaust some ressource on the OS/2 machine after some time. The OS/2 machine refuses further login attempts then. Sometimes this can be cured by stopping and restarting Peer and Requester, but sometimes you have to reboot the machine. There are various tips around (configuration settings on the OS/2 machine, registry tweaks on the XP machine) but none of these tips provide long term usability - after a few days the OS/2 machine will definitely refuse further connections.... :(

These days the better choice is definitely the Samba Server on eCS http://members.aon.at/herwig.bauernfeind/samba/index.html (hint, hint  ;) ).

Kind regards,
Herwig

quote author=IBManners link=topic=1233.msg8424#msg8424 date=1222255281]
Hi Herwig,

Basically this works, BUT the XP machine will exhaust some ressource on the OS/2 machine after some time. The OS/2 machine refuses further login attempts then. Sometimes this can be cured by stopping and restarting Peer and Requester, but sometimes you have to reboot the machine. There are various tips around (configuration settings on the OS/2 machine, registry tweaks on the XP machine) but none of these tips provide long term usability - after a few days the OS/2 machine will definitely refuse further connections.... Sad

I thought that was only relevant to NetBEUI/Netbios over TCP/IP, I haven't seen that problem with a local company that I have set up an OS/2 server for, and 8 XP PC's as the clients, all using standard NetBEUI, not NetBEUI over TCP/IP. They tend to leave everything running all the time.

Though if you want to use NetBEUI/Netbios over TCP/IP then Samba is definitely the way to go.

Cheers
Ian Manners

[/quote]