• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS Video Drivers, Screen Sharpness, Dual OS

Started by Dennis, 2007.05.14, 17:43:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

Hi!
I don't know where this post really belongs, so I put it here. I just installed eCS on my laptop and love it. However, I'm wondering if there are better video drivers out there. My one complaint about eCS is that the images and letters on the screen aren't as sharp as they were under Warp 4. Is there a way to make the images crisper and sharper?

Also, I like eCS on my laptop, so am planning to install it on my desktop OS/2 system. Currently, the only OS on my desktop is Warp 4. Can I install eCS and then windoze XP as a second OS or do I need to install XP first? On the other side of that, I also have an XP desktop. Can I install eCS on the XP desktop as a 2nd OS?  How do I do either install?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dennis
Dennis

Eugene Tucker

AS far as the video drivers go the difference may be the monitor verses the LCD screen of your laptop. But I suggest that if you are going to install Widows XP you put it on the first partition. There are many apps that require it on C: to install. Other wise it and eCS for that matter can inhabit logical drives.

melf

I can think of two other things that might affect your screenexperience:

1. You haven't installed Innotek font engine (apparent when using FF or OO)
2. You have wrong resolution - normal resolutions on a widescreen

/Mikael
/Mikael

kim

Agree with Melf, if you're running a stretched 4:3 resolution on a wide screen this could explain the sharpness and as well and wrong resolution usually affects the sharpness more than stretching the screen. For example try to set a 1400x1050 LCD screen to 1024x768 - it won't look good at all.

Dennis

Thanks, Melf & Kim.

I should have explained that my laptop is 5 years old and only has 800 x 600 as the best resolution. Or should I use 640 x 480, which is my only other choice?

Melf, where do I find that Innotek font engine? Do you think it will work with my limited resolution choice?

Dennis
Dennis

melf

Well I don't know the technicalitys, but Innotek font engine renders fonts in a far better way than warp4 & eCS does without that, but that is in applications like Firefox or Openoffice and not on desktop. One can really experience the clarity of fonts when using it compared to not using it. Innotek font engine was delivered from ecs 1.1 I think, but to be installed separately. I'm not shure from which version it is installed by default, so maybee you have it? Which eCS version do you use? The pack can also be downloaded from www.innotek.de .

/Mikael

Dennis

Thanks for the reply, melf. I use eCS 1.2R. I'll check the disks i got & see if the Fone Engine is there. Right now, eCS has 'Sharp' brand graphics.

Dennis
Dennis