• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

12 Tricks To Teach Your USB Thumb Drive

Started by BigWarpGuy, 2008.09.30, 02:28:30

Previous topic - Next topic

BigWarpGuy

http://www.informationweek.com/news/storage/reviews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210602269

"A USB drive can be used for more than just porting data -- it can carry entire bootable applications, lock down a PC, and even call for help when lost." Since OS/2-eCS has USB, one could some of these with it?  ???
8)

Pete

Hi BigWarpGuy

If you can track down the various "how to"s it is possible to boot eCS from a USB flash drive - I think I have seen this mentioned on os2world.

If the drive is big enough you could have any necessary apps and data as well. Not quite sure how to go about that but think I would consult Hayo of BootableCD fame as a BootableCD is not only bootable but can contain a working Desktop and installed apps. BootableCD is here http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan/bootAble/index.html with an email link to Hayo at the top - just in case you get a creative urge  :-)

As far as "lock down a pc" goes that could be done by having a password program look for the password/passcode on the USB drive instead of typing it in.

Regards

Pete

BigWarpGuy

Thank you for the link and the information. I will check it out and give it a try.  8)

warpcafe

Hi,

well I don't understand what all the fuzz is about the "PortableApps" and "u3" hype that pests almost each thumb drive sold nowadays. For heavens sake - is it rocket science? Come on: It's about applications which are able to run from a thumb drive because they
- are able to find/load required libraries from the drive/(sub)directory where it is installed instead a %sys% directory on the machine the drive was plugged into. wow!
- are able to run without having to load/store crap inside the machine (registry). incredible!
- are (perhaps) coming with special configuration to avoid accessing the drive too much. cool!

Frankly speaking: This is what I would expect *each and every* application to be able to do, regardless of what drive (type) it is installed on. If programmers (and manufacturers of IDEs and frameworks) would take more care about this, it wouldn't be a problem.

To give you an example: I often have to deal with different databases (or db servers) on different environments/platforms while working at different customers. Instead of installing dedicated apps on each and every system I'm accessing something from, I have put "squirrel" (an SQL tool) and all the required libs/drivers for the db systems onto a thumb drive and... done: Now I can fire it up from every system that is able to access the thumb drive and has Java support. Hence, that thinggy is also kind of platform independent. Now, that's what I call "cool".
Or to put it that way:
With that thumb drive, I can access any Sybase, Oracle or MySQL database (server) from any machine running Windows, Unix/Linux or whatever as long as it can access the drive and has Java support. And that doesn't even require tricks on the configuration of the software. Heck.

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

BigWarpGuy

Thank you for the information.  8)