• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

MySpace.com updated Flash version check

Started by Shai, 2008.09.30, 15:25:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Shai

Hi,
anyone noticed that MySpace.com recently changed/updated its internal (Flash) Music player widget or at least the code which checks your Flash version? At least the page now demands Adobe Flash 9. Actually, I wonder how some pages even manage to find out I haven't got Flash 9 since I manually patched my InnoTek Flash 7 to report as Flash 9 (both the actual version number and the version string). The "Version test for Adobe Flash" (http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507) confirms that.
Anyone had success with Gnash? Can't try it as there is no embedded flash object MediaPlayerConnectivity could recognize.

That's one of the two things for which I required Flash in the past (the other one is YouTube) and I'm not willing to accept that restriction, so under certain circumstances I might - possibly - agree to invest some work to solve that problem but I'm not promising anything...

cheers,
Robin

ddan

You can't be SURE that it IS Adobe checking version, nor that anything at all is "checked". May be simply trying to get you to allow software to be installed. If you're using OS/2, you may be blissfully unaware of how common are attempts to exploit the gaping holes that Windows leaves open. Every time I see someone allowing all web "features", I'm amazed that they can stand the non-stop bombardment of flashing ads, redirection, and exploits.

Shai

Quote from: ddan on 2008.09.30, 19:02:11
You can't be SURE that it IS Adobe checking version, nor that anything at all is "checked". May be simply trying to get you to allow software to be installed. If you're using OS/2, you may be blissfully unaware of how common are attempts to exploit the gaping holes that Windows leaves open. Every time I see someone allowing all web "features", I'm amazed that they can stand the non-stop bombardment of flashing ads, redirection, and exploits.
No, I'm pretty sure I used this or a similar page before patching my Flash binaries and it reflected the changes. It was some time ago so this might not be the same page I used back then. It was by Adobe however and the link I included is to an Adobe page (kb.adobe.com redirects to adobe.com, it's a subdomain...), too. However there might be some other version information in the binary - which I couldn't find - used by the browser when asked about a certain plugin (via some javaScript). I disabled FlashBlock to make sure that the problem isn't that they are trying to load an invisible Flash animation to determine the version.

Saijin_Naib

Shai, does Firefox report the FlashPlugin at the same level as you have modified it to report? There could still remain the out-dated level information in the Firefox plugin registry.

Or, as is common with some other sites, they will do something (I guess attempt to access features of Flash 8/9, and get a failure back) and report that your player is out of date no matter what the binaries are hacked to show. This can be seen with some Flash streaming sites such as Hulu or Scifi.com or break.com

RobertM

Shai,

If memory serves, MySpace and/or Facebook updated their Flash 9 requirements again. It was:

9.x.x.x

and now is:

9.y.y.y

(where the subversions are higher than the version number reported by your patched Flash player).

Hope that helps. Sorry I dont remember the exact version number it requested. As of right now, I dont have Flash installed on this machine... if I decide to reinstall it, I'll check it out and let you know what the newest subversion requirement is.

Thanks,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Shai

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.10.01, 04:13:40
Shai,

If memory serves, MySpace and/or Facebook updated their Flash 9 requirements again. It was:

9.x.x.x

and now is:

9.y.y.y

(where the subversions are higher than the version number reported by your patched Flash player).

Hope that helps. Sorry I dont remember the exact version number it requested. As of right now, I dont have Flash installed on this machine... if I decide to reinstall it, I'll check it out and let you know what the newest subversion requirement is.

Thanks,
Robert
That appeared to be part of the problem. I used the latest version numbers when I patched my binary, so it reported "9,0,115,0". However currently the latest version is "9,0,124,0" - I adapted my binary to report that version. Now there's no download-flash-9-blabla message anymore but no Flash object either (again FlashBlock disabled for myspace.com).
After quickly browsing the code delivered to my browser, I guess I've found the Flash movie which should be loaded.
For instance: http://lads.myspace.com/videos/c.swf?isus=false&artid=1780228&profid=91238892&el=&mute=false&amix=false&ap=1&t=1&songid=0&pguid=1e3db391d9ed4f0995790cb47bf7bf23&albid=0&aftime=300&cc=de-DE&on=0&skinid=17&sindex=0&shuffle=false&ovasin=false&mt=audio&plid=28297&pertid=04a34700c8f484ad44b9dcf5ed3fb3db&hash=&sseed=0&pmix=false&ayt=15&skin=http://lads.myspace.com/videos/artistInternational.xml&adp=1&afsongs=5&ptype=4&uid=-1&nopops=false
It displays nothing, neither with InnoTek Flash nor with Gnash... Could still be that some URL QUERY-part attributes are still missing which are appended by the constructor invoked in the javaScript (where I found that link) or that this isn't the right Flash animation at all.
I will conduct some tests with Gnash under Linux soon (confirming the animation's address and trying the latest Gnash trunk version). If updating to a recent Gnash version helps it should be easy to compile it for OS/2 since I've got a working build environment (based on Paul Smedleys environment) and I'm doing a lot with SDL recently. Alternatively I could ask Paul Smedley to update his build. So let's see...

cheers,
Robin