• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Windows 3.1 Applications On Os2 / Ecomstation

Started by PAUL555, 2008.10.15, 09:52:15

Previous topic - Next topic

PAUL555

Has  anyone  had  the  following  problem  of  :   

(1) Windows  3.1  application  running  fine  on  Windows 3.1  on  Ms-Dos  5.0.             

(2) The  same  Windows  3.1  application  not  running / giving  errors  on  Win-Os2  3.1  on  Os2 /
     Ecomstation. 

If  so , what  is  the  reason  for  (2)  happening  when  both  versions  of  Windows  are  version 3.1 ? 

What  is  the  way  to  solve  this ?     

Paul   

Radek

The usual reason is a missing DLL or a missing DLL entry. Not all winblows DLLs are in Win-OS/2. This can be fixed by getting the needed DLL. Also, not everything from DOS5 is emulated by OS/2 VDDs. This cannot be fixed so easily.

Andi

Maybe it helps if you post the applications name and error messages too.

There are some Win31 apps which do not work on OS/2 - eCS. I found out years ago that pspice (the now ancient DOS/Win31 version) do not work. Later on I even found in the OS/2 online help, that this application ist mentioned as do not work. There are others mentioned too.

One common problem is with Win32s support in OS/2 which is on level 1.25 where last Win31 version was 1.3x I think. It is possible to install some 1.3 support on top of 1.25 if I remember correctly. Maybe there's a package on hobbes.

Fahrvenugen

Hi,

It is difficult to know what the problem is, other then to say that most Win3.1 applications do work, but there are a few that don't (notably, any that require Win32s 1.30).

Two things to check.  First, ensure that WinOS/2 is set to use 3.1  Enhanced in its properties.  Most Win3.1 stuff needs this.

Also, if  it does happen to be a Win32s application which will run on 1.25 (or lower) Win32s, then try installing that first and see if you can then get your application to run (be sure to reboot after installing the Win32s 1.25)

If you do require Win32s 1.30, then you may be out of luck, as it is possible to get some of those apps running, but some won't run in WinOS/2

Or it could just be that you're missing a DLL. If you could post the error here we might be able to help further.

Pete

Hi All

A possible way round the win3.1 app does not work in winos2 problem would be to install DOSbox and then, if you have or can get a copy of the win3.1 install disks, try to install win3.1 in DOSbox.

Note: I say possible because I have not tried this myself - no win3.1 apps used here.

If anyone wants to try then the current DOSbox is here http://www.joschs-robotics.de/dosbox/ (download link at bottom of page).

Regards

Pete