• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

smplayer for os/2 ecs

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2008.10.15, 18:30:56

Previous topic - Next topic

diver

please send me a screenshot of this missbehaving interface. i still try to find the reason for your problems. but till now we could not see anything.

chennecke

Pete,

Could you please try SMPlayer beta 2 with the video output set to the slower kva variant that uses DIVE? Doing so pretty much fixed all of my display problems with the current beta. It seems that the culprit is output via SNAP overlay.

osw

Quote from: chennecke on 2009.11.28, 13:13:55
Pete,

Could you please try SMPlayer beta 2 with the video output set to the slower kva variant that uses DIVE? Doing so pretty much fixed all of my display problems with the current beta. It seems that the culprit is output via SNAP overlay.

Hi!
Well, in my case the solution to some initial problems with beta2 was guite opposite... - after I've specified output as user defined - kva:snap - any glitches were gone. Although smplayer start playing video a bit longer than quiless mplayer alone - there is no other differences in picture quality and performance on my system. Few other bugs still are there like subtitles downloading or font choosing - nothing serious though and after some tunning in options working like expected. I did even grab some extra icon schemes - working ok.

Pete

Quote from: chennecke on 2009.11.28, 13:13:55
Pete,

Hi

That seems to have fixed the video disappearing after around 5 seconds playback.

However, playback is so jerky with lots of dropped frames that I would not use this at all.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Quote from: diver on 2009.11.28, 09:39:45
please send me a screenshot of this missbehaving interface. i still try to find the reason for your problems. but till now we could not see anything.

Hi

I seem to be failing to recreate this problem at the moment but will take a screenshot if it happens again.

Maybe this problem was caused by something "glitching" elsewhere on my system...

Regards

Pete
Regards

Pete

diver

Pete

Hi Diver

Hmmm...

Sad to say that it does not work  :-(

I have qt4.6.2 installed along with the gcc4core library package.

I can start smplayer but it freezes/crashes when I try to do anything with it - such as open a file - and requires killing using top.

Regards

Pete

DougB

smplayer 0.6.9 works great for me (two very different systems). It was necessary to set the audio to use KAI:DART (same as with the 0.6.8 version), or the sound wouldn't work, and the video playback was very choppy.

Pete

Hi Doug

smplayer is slow to appear onscreen, very slow to display the Open File or Preferences dialog and crashes when opening ecs.mpg. I also notice that screen redraws have problems when running this build.

If you say that it is working better than that on your systems then I wonder what I am doing wrong?...

I have audio set to kai:dart and have tried video set to kva and dive.

Regards

Pete

DougB

I don't know, unless you missed the instructions to uninstall the old QT4, before you install QT4 4.6.2. There may be some residue left over that can cause trouble, if you didn't. I am also using MPlayer from the mplayer-SVN-r30994-OS2-4.4.2.zip package (at HOBBES), which actually does the work.

FWIW, I usually start SMPlayer by double clicking an associated file, but using the menu also works.

Pete

Hi Doug

I uninstalled qt451 before installing qt462.

I am using mplayer-SVN-r30994-OS2-4.4.2

If I double click on \mmos2\movies\ecs.mpg it takes around 15 seconds for smplayer to appear onscreen and the video to *not* start playing then the system starts to become unresponsive - so much so that pressing my "Windows key" to show the Process List does not work. The only way to close smplayer at this point is to use TOP.

If I start smplayer by clicking the smplayer.exe file it takes around 15 seconds to appear - some sort of consistency I guess.

If I select Options, Preferences that dialog takes between 30 and 45 seconds to appear.

When I try File, Open the dialog appears about as quickly as the previous version. Having selected \mmos2\movies\ecs.mpg the dialog disappears quickly - and nothing else happens; no video or audio.

After a short period of time about 2 minutes smplayer shows 2 of it's icon in the playback window and is not responding to mouse clicks - nor is the system and we are back to killing smplayer.

The file ecs.mpg plays fine using mplayer from the command line and played fine with the previous smplayer/qt451 combo - except for when resizing the video in smplayer which caused odd bits to appear in the playback window.

It seems to me to be something wrong with either this build of smplayer or qt462 - or both.

Time to see if the log is of any use to the qt/smplayer people in diagnosing the problem(s).

In the meantime it is back to qt451 and the corresponding smplayer to watch the odd vid clip.

Regards

Pete

David McKenna

Pete,

I initially had problems with QT 4.6.2 because of a left-over qt.conf file. I had also uninstalled 4.5.1, but either this file didn't get deleted, or possibly it was left over from an earlier beta. Anyway... I uninstalled QT, searched for qt*.conf files on my drive, deleted the one I found, then reinstalled QT and everything seems to be working now. Maybe you could try that?

Dave McKenna

Pete

Hi Dave

I have the current scribus build working with qt462 but gave the uninstall/reinstall tip a try.

As scribus (still) works I think the problem is within smplayer.

Thanks

Pete

Pete

Hi

Finally got smplayer working - when it was pointed out to me that the log showed smplayer was calling smplayer instead of mplayer.

I have no idea how that happened as I had browsed to the mplayer directory and selected mplayer.exe - maybe I had not clicked "Apply"...

I do find smplayer has problems with screen redraws though. Anyone else seeing any problems when another app overlaps the smplayer window and then the other app gets closed/moved and "bits" remain in the smplayer window? This happens when smplayer is not actually playing anything; when a vid is playing the problem does not seem to occur.

Regards

Pete

David McKenna

Pete,

Yes... I see that. Also, if you drop down a menu, then move the mouse across to another drop down the display get messy.

Playback works fine for me though...

Dave McKenna