• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

smplayer for os/2 ecs

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2008.10.15, 18:30:56

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

ddan,

Maybe it is the version you are using? I am using v0.5.21 built with Qt v3.3.1 and not experiencing those problems (1.1GHz machine, ATI video card)

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ddan

Well, I got the 10.20 version which was the latest at that time.

I'm in an uncomfortable spot carping when it shows such promise, but as with FF3, which I just now deleted from my HD after again attempting to get menu fonts bearable, in sum, it's not an improvement over previous, and actually worse.

Let me spin it positive: I'm pleased with the current mplayer. Also, since I'm planning to move to the Dual Xeon server Real Soon Now (though it's gigantic at 29 inches, or near 74 cm long plus clearance for cables), it has accelerated ATI graphics, which may disappear the problems.

RobertM

Quote from: ddan on 2008.10.24, 19:34:32
Well, I got the 10.20 version which was the latest at that time.

I'm in an uncomfortable spot carping when it shows such promise, but as with FF3, which I just now deleted from my HD after again attempting to get menu fonts bearable, in sum, it's not an improvement over previous, and actually worse.

Let me spin it positive: I'm pleased with the current mplayer. Also, since I'm planning to move to the Dual Xeon server Real Soon Now (though it's gigantic at 29 inches, or near 74 cm long plus clearance for cables), it has accelerated ATI graphics, which may disappear the problems.

As for FF3... no problems with fonts on menus for me using the default fonts - though I did change some of my system fonts to the updated ones on Hobbes before I switched to it (so I dont know if that is the reason). There is also a font dpi setting for SDD that may be the culprit. What resolution are you using?

As for smplayer, the version I am using is the most recent on the link on this website - dunno if maybe it's another person's build that has some OS/2 specific fixes or not. You may want to try it instead - and set the cache to maximum.

-Rob

Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

The windows file selector allows for rename, delete and all other explorer supported operations and menu entries as well as multiple file view and list sorting criteria, as well as supporting resize on the file selector window.

And seeing as you are complaining about it's lackluster playback, using a new version of Panorama would ostensibly fix one of the issues that YOU cited with the player. What does it hurt to try?

Edit: oh yeah, make sure to turn shadowbuffer on otherwise you will have miserable screen drawing and performance much like SNAP VESA unaccelerated.

ddan

RobertM: looked for DPI setting in SNAP (is that SDD as you meant?) and don't find. Did discover that in typically perverse fashion, clicking "Advanced" on the resolution page switched me to full text screen with a numbered menu. Not complaining, just a laugh.

Anyhoo, main problem with FF3 menus now is between the text is a gap large enough for another line of text, so effectively cuts the number in half. However, with its amazing sloth, I just can't bear it in sum. It's another major project that disappoints me because of both flaws that should be easily fixed, and flaws that look severe. As with smplayer, may  be in large part lack of accel'd driver.

Saijin_Naib: my memory of XP is dimming, glad to say, but file selector refers to the standard, system provided, dialog boxes, not the "My Computer" / Explorer windows, and for those little dialog boxes, I don't recall them having more than basic function, besides that the major flaw I complain of, resetting to first file / folder every time one goes into or out of a directory, is definitely present with "My Computer", as is piled-up names that are unreadable when all start similarly. You don't notice with a few files, but being popped back to the top of dozens or hundreds gets annoying. I'll be near an infected -- heh, heh, discount that one dig, please, can't resist -- machine tomorrow, will try to give it a look for clear example, IF they exist or are only in my biased -- but NOT prejudiced -- memory.

I don't know about the performance improvement possible, but reason NOT to try Panorama is to avoid possibly trashing the system. In meantime, think I've made clear that I allow as how MY low-end system doesn't show smplayer in best light.

And for more positive, I LIKE the three degrees of fast forward, a worthwhile idea.

It's not that I'm against smplayer without cause, it's just not working -- for ME -- in important areas.

ivan

Maybe the answer to the FF3 menus is the following taken from the Mozilla for OS/2 page.

QuoteFirefox 3.x and Seamonkey 2.x feature built-in support for antialiased fonts. Only TrueType and Type 1 fonts can be used, so you may want to install WorkPlace Sans to replace WarpSans.

I just tried it and it works!  I've gone back to FF2.0.0.17  because FF3 won't use some of my addons.

Saijin_Naib

Don't forget to make sure that you turn off the Innotek Font Engine for Firefox3 as it is rendered in Cairo and the IFE keys are redundant and can slow things down or cause instability.

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.10.25, 04:01:53
Don't forget to make sure that you turn off the Innotek Font Engine for Firefox3 as it is rendered in Cairo and the IFE keys are redundant and can slow things down or cause instability.

A great way to do this (if like me, you run both the 2.x and 3.x builds), as Saijin and I think ddan or Ben suggested elsewhere is to simply rename the Firefox3 executable to something different - such as firefox303.exe - that way FF2 still uses IFE, and FF3 will not.

It's also an easy way to accomplish the same thing without having to edit registry keys or uninstall IFE. Their suggestion, I found, was extremely easy, and works wonderfully.

Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

ddan and others,

There is a new build of smplayer on netlabs... it seems to have the same version number, but a different date. I am thus guessing it is a new release of the same version with some things corrected in it.

I have yet to try it (just found it) so I am not sure what issues it addresses and/or what other features may be available.

It can be found here:
ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/smplayer

(Currently there are two v0.5.21 files... one indicated as 10/14/2008, and one indicating 10/20/2008)

-Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

BigWarpGuy

Thank you for the link. I will give it a try.  8)

Blonde Guy

The SMPlayer window always seems to open much larger than the mplayer sub-window. But it works nicely, and it's great to have GUI controls and display with a movie player.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

chennecke

Try the latest release, guys! Silvan has fixed issues with the play list and the file open dialog, and I've contributed installation instructions. There are a few remaining usability issues (file open dialog does not remember directory, no d&d support) but otherwise, it works great here.

RobertM

Christian,

Thanks to you Silvan (and everyone else involved) for your hard work on this! And a belated thanks for everything else you have been involved in over the years!

Robert

Gang: The newest copy is Nov 4, 2008, so if you haven't grabbed a copy in the last 24 (or less) hours, I would check out netlabs again!

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/smplayer

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

WarpWorld

It works but I can't load any media file with that program  >:( and than I use WarpVision...

osw

Quote from: Bojan89 on 2009.07.19, 16:21:19
It works but I can't load any media file with that program  >:( and than I use WarpVision...

Hi!

Since, that program, Smplayer is just gui frontend for mplayer, installing a mplayer would help a bit.
Just my suggestion.