• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

4.52 Convenience Pack CD's

Started by Patrick_, 2008.10.17, 20:38:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick_

Hi, I'm trying to install OS/2 Warp 4.52 from the Convenience Pack 2 CD's, but whenever I boot from the disks and enter the LVM stage, it doesn't recognize my hard drive, only my CD drive. It's a 300GB drive... I thought the Convenience Pack's were supposed to be able to recognize larger disks? Also, it gave me an error that "One or more partitions on the disk may be corrupt". Again, I've been reading a new driver is needed, but I thought that because I was using the CP2 disks I wouldn't need that?

I also tried creating the boot disks provided by WarpDoctor.com but they gave me an error when I booted up (something about not being able to use the disk, and it set off my computer speaker into an endless beep).

I have the partition I want to install OS/2 on as the fourth primary partition. First I tried setting the partition label to HPFS; then FAT-16, both didn't work.

Any ideas on what might be going wrong?

Patrick_

BTW, I just inserted a 30GB drive for kicks, and I noticed that when the CD was booting it said that a certain driver (int13 or something) recognized an 8GB or larger drive, but still the LVM doesn't display the drive.

rwklein

Most likely you have a SATA driver in your system and MCP only very limited to not does not support this (the version of ibm1s506.add).

You need to create bootlfoppies and put these drivers on it:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/storage/danis506r185.zip

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/storage/daniatapi040.zip

But you can also purchase eComStation www.ecomstation.com.

Best regards,

Roderick Klein
Mensys

P.S. I work for Mensys, the company that makes eComStation so the suggestion is complete independed.

Patrick_

Thanks, actually it's not SATA, it's IDE. Also, I tried the danis driver before, and I replaced the ibm506 driver with it and modified the CONFIG.SYS file on the floppy, but when I inserted the disk, it wasn't reading correctly.

I erased all of the partitions on the 30GB drive, made it the only hard drive plugged in, and labeled it as a FAT16 partition, and now when I boot the OS/2 disks I get a red screen with the message "Error 9 returned from LVM.DLL".

EDIT: I just tried it again (the Danis driver). I put "SET COPYFROMFLOPPY=1" and replaced the ibm506.add entry with the Danis driver, but after all three disks were inserted, it said "unable to operate hard disk".

saborion2

Re:

Quote from: Patrick_ on 2008.10.17, 20:38:15
Hi, I'm trying to install OS/2 Warp 4.52 from the Convenience Pack 2 CD's, but whenever I boot from the disks and enter the LVM stage, it doesn't recognize my hard drive, only my CD drive. It's a 300GB drive... I thought the Convenience Pack's were supposed to be able to recognize larger disks? Also, it gave me an error that "One or more partitions on the disk may be corrupt". Again, I've been reading a new driver is needed, but I thought that because I was using the CP2 disks I wouldn't need that?

I also tried creating the boot disks provided by WarpDoctor.com but they gave me an error when I booted up (something about not being able to use the disk, and it set off my computer speaker into an endless beep).

I have the partition I want to install OS/2 on as the fourth primary partition. First I tried setting the partition label to HPFS; then FAT-16, both didn't work.

Any ideas on what might be going wrong?

Is the above not a typical example for asking (IBM's Developers and other OEMs involved with the production and release of this Operating System) the question since they are the ones with access to the Source-Codes of the OS: What is wrong "HERE?"; and, how problems like these can be fixed. And, just maybe, these are some of the reasons for the "slow" uptake of OS/2?.  8)

Regards.

SAB

ddan

Old topic, throws everyone encountering it because not obvious. I installed on a 60G without the new drivers on floppy, though installed them later because faster.

First, HPFS has a limit of 64G. You'll need to partition the drive.

Second, more major, whether 30 or 300, you must use DOS 6.22 to get rid of previous partitioning. Just use it to make a 2G partition that LVM finds, then you can resize it up to 64G.

Start here:
http://www.os2world.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,63/topic,1042.0/

Particular attention to #10. DOS 6.22 is essential unless you start with a truly bare new drive. Nothing else, no other technique, works that I've found.

saborion2

Quote from: ddan on 2008.10.18, 03:34:07
Old topic, throws everyone encountering it because not obvious. I installed on a 60G without the new drivers on floppy, though installed them later because faster.

First, HPFS has a limit of 64G. You'll need to partition the drive.

Second, more major, whether 30 or 300, you must use DOS 6.22 to get rid of previous partitioning. Just use it to make a 2G partition that LVM finds, then you can resize it up to 64G.

Start here:
http://www.os2world.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,63/topic,1042.0/

Particular attention to #10. DOS 6.22 is essential unless you start with a truly bare new drive. Nothing else, no other technique, works that I've found.

Given the approach needed above it is anyone's guess why IBM lost out to Microsoft in the "FINANCIAL AND BANKING" communities around the world in those bygone days.  ;)

Saijin_Naib

DFSEE works every time, it's just exceedingly daunting to use.

saborion2

Re:

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.10.18, 09:12:56
DFSEE works every time, it's just exceedingly daunting to use.

Perhaps, one of the reasons why "IBM" et al have all but given up on it.  ???

ddan

Well, Saijin_Naib, another one-line input that subtracts and distracts. Whether your intent or not, that's the effect. Let me be clear that it's the BREVITY of your post that I object to here. Please take time to consider whether you ADD anything with a post. Casually throwing out a possible but expert level solution does not help someone just trying to get the basics going as quickly as possible.

To use DFSEE, one would have to boot DOS at least. So, instead of a minute with its simple FDISK, you advise fooling around with the "exceedingly daunting" DFSEE? -- Of course having downloaded and unpacked it first, then read its extensive detailed instructions, nearly all of which are for exotic options. -- And use of DFSEE is certainly dangerous in the given situation of multiple partitions.

Back to Patrick: if you use DOS 6.22 to prepare a DOS-bootable partition and check that you can actually boot from it, all after should go smoothly with CP2, BUT with multiple partitions, you're going to run into a major tangle. When experimenting with ANY OS, you should always use a spare drive, nothing else on it, all other drives physically disconnected. I'm sure you know, but perhaps got carried away with enthusiasm.

Patrick_

Thanks guys. I clipped my HD to 2GB with a jumper setting, and all went well, but when trying to copy NAMECHANGE.EXE the installer gave me this error: http://service5.boulder.ibm.com/pspsdocs.nsf/c7a34b35e55986f9862563cc00604815/bfb716a4d766404a862563fb004d2f14?OpenDocument; and then  wouldn't continue. I would assume I can just follow the instructions there, modifying the CONFIG.SYS and making a new disk with the changes?

Saijin_Naib

Hey Patrick, take a look here:
http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/cdrom.php

This is the site for the DFSEE FreeDOS bootable CD-ROM and Floppy disk Images. I'd suggest that if your OS/2 4.52 has IBM JFS support you install on that or use the eComStation Bootable JFS. If you use these methods you will have a volume of the full size of the drive that will be much, much faster than HPFS is.

Now, to use DFSEE you will need to merely follow the on-screen prompts and take your time. The only possible difficulty will be in the beginning when it asks you whether you want DMA or BIOS defined drive support. I find that the BIOS one, though "slower" yields less frustration. Your mileage may of course vary. You can then use DFSEE to make, format, and add all of your partitions to the IBM Boot Manager (which DFSEE can also install and configure) with relative ease. Just try and read each menu carefully and you will find where you need to go. That's how I learned as the documentation would need to be read on another computer at the same time I'd be working which is just not possible for me now. In any case, good luck. I think you should use the eComStation Bootable JFS if only to have an easier time than having to divvy up your 300gb drive into little HPFS ready chunks.

ddan

Patrick: you're winging it, man! Going where no OS/2er has gone before! NAMECHANGE.EXE in The Google gets 10 hits, none obviously useful. A search of my CP2 installation turns up no such file, nor have I ever encountered it. You may have found a situation where the driver queries the drive for actual size but BIOS believes it's smaller.

Seriously, if you ignore what I know works -- after all, I'm only running CP2 on a 60G that I re-used after DOS 6.22 FDISKing -- and even ignore Saijin_Naib's LONG way that'd eventually work -- then I can only wonder why you've asked for advice.

ddan

saborion2, I make an exception to my own and other's resolve to ignore you to note that you fail the Turing test: no human would make ANY connection between my post and the random news item that you posted. I could write a REXX program that could make your post above. -- Having determined that you are clearly not human, reckon I'm free from here to exercise my wit without any accusation of a personal attack being even possible.

But just this once I'll also be serious with you: what has happened to you? I ran across some of your old posts, and you were cogent and helpful. But now you're just a rather lame troll, neither interesting enough nor clever enough to draw anyone out. I for one would welcome the old saborion2 back...

Patrick_

Quote from: ddan on 2008.10.19, 01:29:53Seriously, if you ignore what I know works -- after all, I'm only running CP2 on a 60G that I re-used after DOS 6.22 FDISKing -- and even ignore Saijin_Naib's LONG way that'd eventually work -- then I can only wonder why you've asked for advice.

Well, see, by the time you all had posted your suggestions, I had already clipped my drive. I *will* try DOS 6.22 FDISKing it, though. Also, I may have been wrong about NAMECHANGE.EXE, it was probably something else...  ;)

BTW, that link I provided is dead, you have to remove the ';' at the end. My question is, on my OS/2 disk there are a couple of CONFIG.SYS files. Which one should I modify as the link suggested I do? There's
one under the "bootimgs" folder and one under the "os2image/disk_1" folder. Will modifying both of these work?

I should also note that I tried booting my system after the error occurred during installation (again, it looked like it had only a few more files until it was done) but it gave me an error about PRINT01.DLL, another DLL, and some bad entry in CONFIG.SYS and then wouldn't boot further. I tried modifying the CONFIG.SYS file in the command prompt from the installation disk but couldn't find it on the installed drive (C:).