• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Odin

Started by rdonnelly, 2008.10.17, 22:27:33

Previous topic - Next topic

rdonnelly

HI, I am new here, I have used all 3 versions of OS/2 ver 2.1, 3, and 4. I have not used OS/2 in a few years because of the need to move on to win32 apps. What is involved in using Odin? Is it a just a file converter, or would I need to add additional programs to the OS/2 installation as well? Is there any one for hire to make these conversions for me, so that I can just install it? I would really like to get away from the world of windows if it is possible. I tried the eComStation demo, and I really liked the way it ran without hogging my memory and CPU.

Thanks Bob
Just waiting for eCS to have all the features................

melf

Hi there and wellcome to OS2world!

Odin translate windows API:s to OS2 API:s if I got it right, so it is like running a windows program os/2 natively - in theory. There is a limited number of win32 programs that works, so have no great hope, but in fact some run very well. There is a list of programs working and there is probably more, you just got to test. But if you want to get away from the windows world, why not explore os2-eCs software instead? As a former Os2:er you know about hobbes, but also take a look at ecsoft/2, a nice place for software. If you really want to use windows software under eComStation I should rather recommend a virtual PC like Virtual Box , ported by Paul Smedley for eCS.

Hope this is a first answer for you. Personally I think you do the right thing moving to eCS. You'll re-experience the accuracy and responsiveness again - a feeling not compatible with Windows. Wellcome home!
/Mikael

rdonnelly

Ok, I am not like a computer guru, I have no education in computing, I have been playing with them for about 15 years, I know dos, all the windows, and I did alot of OS/2 configuring back in the day. Would it be real complex for me to odin an accounting program and another program that was written in fox pro? I am not looking to do any complex programs.

Bob

melf

To begin with Odin, this is my suggestion: Begin downloading an odin-wpi-pack for easy installation. Latest is http://www.ecomstation.org/sidebars/cmd/odin/files/odin-20050402-xp.wpi  I think. Then you have to reboot. You can now update this odin pack with the latest, which I think is http://www.ecomstation.org/sidebars/cmd/odin/files/odin-20060817-xp.zip  . It's easily done by the Odintool (program object is made on desktop).

To run a windows program, just drop the *.exe install or program executable on pe.exe, which is located in odin\system32\ . It's also possible to configure it so it regognize windows-exe:s when you double click them.
Sometimes Odin complaines of missing dll:s, then you can take them from Windows and put in system32 map. Sometimes it also works better if you install a program in windows and then move that to eCS. You have to try. For more info check netlabs.org under API-layers. I don't think there is more developement around Odin any longer. 

If you want to "odinize" more complex programs I think that is another business. Earlier OpenOffice builds for eCS, Adobe reader 5 and Opera are examples.
/Mikael

Pete

Hi

Talking of Acrobat Reader V5 I suggest that you experiment with that as well as Odin.

If you do not already have ARV5 installed it is available, along with other Innotek software, via links on http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html - you will note that the Innowin runtime is required; also available from that page.

To use ARV5 as a substitute Odin simply create a program object of the ar5os2.exe file and then drag'n'drop win32 executables onto that object. They either work or they do not  :-)

I currently run OpenOffice115 for Windows using the ar5os2.exe trick :-)

Regards

Pete

rdonnelly

Thanks for all the help guys. I am going to purchase eCs and give Odin a try.