• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Maximum number of applications that can be run simultaneously on Ecomstation

Started by PAUL555, 2008.10.22, 14:43:54

Previous topic - Next topic

PAUL555

What is the maximum number of applications that can be run simultaneously on Ecomstation ? Is it just dependent on the memory of the PC or are there other factors involved ? 

Paul   

Saijin_Naib

It also depends on the thread limit set in the config.sys and whether or not you run out of Shared Memory first.

Fahrvenugen

As far as I know, there isn't as much of an application limit as opposed to a thread limit.  OS/2 is limited to a maximum of 4095 threads (or is it 4096? I can't recall exactly, anyways... one thread won't make a difference) which can be set in config.sys.  Generally each application makes use of several threads.  And the OS itself makes use of quite a few threads. 

However, it is also possible to run into memory issues depending on what you're doing and what type of applications you're running.  If you run out of physical memory and swap file space, you can run into limits that way (just as with any other  operating system).

Having said that, on my desktop machine (a P4-2.8 with 1 Gig memory) I often run 30 - 40 applications at a time without any difficulty, and still have resources (threads, avaiable memory, etc) available for running more apps. 

One of the OS/2 based servers that I maintain has over 30 things running on it, uses some 1200 + threads, and it remains just as responsive as ever.