• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

USB pendrive on ACP1

Started by lewhoo, 2008.11.05, 14:34:58

Previous topic - Next topic

lewhoo

Hello, I have following problem.

I can access my Fat32 16 GB pendrive on my notebook with ECS rc3 installed. I cannot do so on my ACP1 machine. I've copied USB files from OS2/BOOT of ECS to my ACP1, Fat32.ifs version is the same, but on ACP1 machine removable is visible as 32 MB and cannot be accesed or ejected...

Anyone can help?

jep

Hello,

Please specify which kind of USB you have on those machines, UHCI, EHCI or ...

I guess you can use the eCS boot CD to find out, if you can't see it as it is now.

//Jan-Erik

RobertM

lewhoo,

Have you also updated the USB MSD driver components? It sounds like there is a component that still hasnt been updated.

Some more USB info (including some info on updating older versions of OS/2) can be found:
http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=usbsite

And following this thread here:
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Comp/comp.os.os2.setup.storage/2006-01/msg00029.html

A few variant USB packages are located here (cw-usb packages):
http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/usb/index.html

Don't use the drivers in those packages, but instead, if so inclined, refer to the readme and instructions file(s) located in the archives.

And of course, as Jan-Erik pointed out, if you provide us some more information, we'll be able to help you with an answer better tailored to your specific situation.

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

There is a handy little USB configuration tool complete with Help containing a USB Removables FAQ here http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb7a.zip

Regards

Pete

lewhoo

Thanks all for help!

Following referenced news topics I found, that I should update os2dasd.dmd. So did I and it works now.

However - not stable. I tried copying large file with FC/2. It has some freeze moments in both reading and writing. And while writing it froze completely finally. I tried other disk activity after that and than PMShell hanged...

I am not sure what may cause this instability yet.

The Blue Warper

Hi, lewhoo,
are you using the latest FAT32.IFS driver?  Perhaps that might make a difference in your case?
The latest version that I'm aware of is 0.9.12 fix 1, and you can find it on netlabs FTP site.  Here's the link (just in case):
ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/

lewhoo

I updated FAT32.IFS. Unfortunately. no change. Still very unstable when writing :( Maybe some of you have another idea?

RobertM

lewhoo,

There are some flags (to add to the config.sys on the fat32 driver line) that may assist with that. In addition, always make sure you stop the media before "ejecting" it - and once stopped, do not access any icon for the media or anything on it (as this will re-access the media and you will have to repeat the process).

There should be supplemental information that came with the driver file to assist you in this. You may also wish to visit this page (section 2.4) for some additional notes (the page may e a bit outdated, so I am not sure how much of it will apply):

http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=cwusb

Hopefully someone here with a working, stable FAT32 implementation can help further. If not, let us know and I will dig through the documentation.

Robert

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

The Blue Warper

lewhoo,

just another quick thought: I know there's a /CD parameter you can set in the ACPI line in the config.sys.  This parameter stands for "Crazy Device" and its use is suggested (if I recall correctly the instructions in the docs) with USB devices acting 'strange', or showing bad or odd behaviour.  I don't know if this can help in your case, but you might want to try (or perhaps to experiment with some other parameter).

lewhoo

On my ACP1 machine I don't use acpi at all, so this can't be it...

I had a quick look on FAT32.IFS switches, but nothing came to my mind. I mean I have identical switches as on ECS machine, on which this pendrive works fine...

I'm thinking about trying FATMON

ivan

Have you checked the simple things like using the latest dani drivers?  I assume the latest eCS uses the most up to date ones, your ACP1 won't unless you manually updated them.

My 4 GB usb stick works on my ACP2 machine without problems, but then it is as up to date as I can make it.

lewhoo

I updated DANI (my scsi aspi drivers no longer work, but that's other issue ;) ) and checked for fat32 dll conflicts. Still the same. I'll keep on looking - maybe there is a driver not updated which I haven't thought of so far...

The Blue Warper

Quote from: lewhoo on 2008.11.09, 23:16:47
On my ACP1 machine I don't use acpi at all, so this can't be it...

Oh, sorry, I misread ACP1 for ACPI...
But then it could be something related to LVM.  Did you check the OS2DASD.DMD version on the ACP1 system?  Is it at the same level as your eCS system?  And the other LVM-related files (such as LVM.DLL)?
This is something that did change after the ACP1 release, so this is perhaps the reason why you've got USB MSDs working in eCS only.

onlineuser2

Did the usb pen ever work in any os/2 previous release?

May it be a hardware problem?

Once upon a time I read somewhere in the web (?!!?) about the usb standard which was not always respcted by producers (only win compatibility controlled).

As for me, once I became crazy about a pen drive untile I dismissed it and found other brand pens working perfectly.

Before trying to work about it may be worth while to test another one usb pen.

Did you do it already?

Onlineuser2

lewhoo

I updated OS2LVM.DMD and LVM.DLL. Didn't help.

I agree, that it is possible, that it is something that changed between ACP1 and ECS, although it's hard to find what. I'm not sure what's important.

I didn't try another pendrive - I have no access to. But I guess that if it works perfectly on ECS on one machine, it should work on other... Or maybe USB of my old mainboard is not handled that well? Definetely it is in 1.0 speed on the ACP1 machine, and 2.0 speed on ECS... But that should not make a stability difference...

I'll keep looking and thanks you all for ideas.