• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

What's up with Panorama?

Started by MrJinx, 2008.11.14, 06:11:54

Previous topic - Next topic

MrJinx

I haven't seen any news on this emerging video driver solution in a while.
I'm currently using it with my Acer Aspire One Netbook with the wide screen drivers but seem to have a few problems with mostly SDL related apps.
The main problem is with VirtualBox. I am only able to get 4bit color in Win XP as a guest. I doesn't matter if I use the latest SDL builds, The one shipped with VBox or the special SDL build for Panorama. Does anyone else have this issue? or found a solution.   

Sigurd

Hi,

never tried 4 bit with Virtualbox, but I am running Windows XP SP3 with 32bit and Ubuntu 8.04 with 32 bit inside Virtualbox for OS/2. SDL is the latest, but haven't had problems with the one shipped with Virtualbox so far.

All though - have problems with other SDL applications as well: Notably Dosbox and ScummVM. ScummVM is not working unless I use 32bit colour, if I use 16 bit there is a totally wasted screen. But - even with 32bit - the programms (I.e. Broken Sword, Curse of Monkey Island III) are starting but are mostly using "blue colours", so some are missing. Everything looks blue. If using Windows 3.11 (the Original) inside DOSBOX, the Window colours are brown instead of Blue....

User Shai reported, he was able to solve some problems with telling DosBox Sessons to start in Fullscreen Mode, but this did not work for me.

Even though it is mentioned in the latest SDL build Readme, that some problems with "Panorama" have been corrected, the one I was able to figure out is, that Fullscreen DosBoxSession are possilbe now. But still have the "wrong" or "missing colours - don't know wich it is) problems.

Looking forward to see a solution for this!

Cheers

melf

Your posting made me try SNAP. I first used "gaoption lcdusebios off" and then "gamode add 1024 600 16" . This works perfect! But unfortunately SNAP just recognize this graphic card as a VESA 3.0, so compared to Panorama it is noticably slower, but acceptable.
/Mikael

MrJinx

Let me respond to both posts.
I added another partition with eCS just for SNAP festing only.
by default, I was only getting 640x480  and 800x600 as available resolutions.
I tried to add 1024x 600 16bit color mode and the gamode command failed.
I went the other direction and turned the uselcdbios on, So I am going to have to retrace my steps.

On the other SDL apps problems with Scummvm and Dosbox, I have the blue and red colors switched in ScummVM as described. Dosbox isn't giving me as bad of a time if I start a windowed session and jump to full screen. If i start Dosbox in full screen, I get video corruption in some DOS apps.

Many of the SDL apps ship with their own versions of sdl12.dll and fslib.dll. I put the latest SDL dll's in my ecs\dll directory and try the app with the shipped versions first, then rename them if the results are bad so the app will fall back to the "latest version" via dpath. This has worked well until the VirtualBox issue hit me.

i imported an XP harddrive image from another laptop I had VBox on with SNAP. It was working great. When I fired it up on my Acer running Panorama. I only had 16 colors in the windows session. the display properties in the guest OS would only let me choose 4bit color mode. Really weird.

I'm going to try melf's suggestion. I wonder if an external monitor was attached to the vga port when the GAmode command was used in melf's example? I'm favoring snap for a few other reasons besides just SDL..

melf

Quote from: MrJinx on 2008.11.14, 14:41:31
I'm going to try melf's suggestion. I wonder if an external monitor was attached to the vga port when the GAmode command was used in melf's example? I'm favoring snap for a few other reasons besides just SDL..

No external monitor used. gamode 1024 600 16 and gamode 1024 600 32 worked fine. I had the widescreenactivator still installed, but I guess that has no influence.
/Mikael

DavidG

Latest info about the driver found in the eCO newsletter.

4. Panorama VESA (http://ecomstation.ru/panorama)

* Do you have troubles with the latest Panorama VESA (2007/11/20)? (Troubles when switching desktop - fullscreen sessions) Please post the bug-report, are there new lines in popuplog.os2 or not? Which programs cause the problems?

* Does Panorama VESA + widescreen activator  support ATI Radeon HD3650? ATI Radeon HD 4850, 4830 and 4870? Intel GMA 4500HD? HD 4550?

* Does Panorama VESA support output to HDMI? (If you attach a monitor to HDMI and boot the system, what happens?)

* Post bug-reports to the tracker:
http://ecomstation.ru/projects/panorama/?action=contacts

Widescreen activator:
* 075 -- recognition of the latest Intel (G4x/P4x) mainboard chipsets
* 074 -- additional support for updated version of Intel 965 memory controllers. (support of the latest Intel 945 chipset revision. This is needed for "Medion Akoya" mini laptop.)

Current plan: support ATI adapters manufactured in 2008