• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

USB pendrive on ACP1

Started by lewhoo, 2008.11.05, 14:34:58

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Quote from: lewhoo on 2008.11.13, 23:41:37
Or maybe USB of my old mainboard is not handled that well? Definetely it is in 1.0 speed on the ACP1 machine, and 2.0 speed on ECS... But that should not make a stability difference...

Unless the drive doesnt properly work with USB 1 - I have seen some such products labelled USB 2.0 only. I also have a couple 8GB USB thumb drives (purchased from and branded as MicroCenter) that work abysmally on USB 1.1 but fly on 2.0 - yeah I expect there to be a difference in performance - but this is beyond that. It took most of a day to copy a couple gigs of data on the older USB (and that was tried on both a Compaq XP Pro machine with functioning USB - worked with everything else... and an HP Proliant Server with Win Server 2003). Flew through the same data on a newer Compaq and on a newer Dell - both of which had USB 2.0 (and XP Pro).

But also, it could be a chipset which poorly implements the USB specs - thus eCS's drivers, looking for full support, are running into an issue.

It could also possibly be a shared IRQ issue, where something else is being polled (or being talked to) which is preventing/stopping/lagging access to the USB port sharing the IRQ with the other device.

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

As Robert noted, not all USB Host controllers are created equally. The VIA Enhanced Host Controller on my desktop yields much slower throughput than the VIA Enhanced Host controller on my netbook though by all standards except TDP my desktop is worlds faster than my netbook. Have you used LVM to force assign a drive letter to the device? My M:robe would not mount properly until I did this though everything else was fine with it.

lewhoo

I think, or rather hope, I solved it. I guess the solution should be the first think I should think of...

I was testing my USB pluging pendrive to the computer case USB ports. Seems, that if I plug it into mainboard port directly, it works fine...

I came to this idea, because the pendrive didn't work even if I booted from ecs rc4 CD with fat32. Was exactly the same behaviour. Due to your ideas, that it may be a hardware issue, I plugged it into mainboard and performed many file copies. Works so far (however max writing speed is ~2.3 MB/s).

The strange thing that remains is that eject from WPS popup menu does not have any effect and from the command line works.

RobertM

Quote from: lewhoo on 2008.11.15, 16:41:37
The strange thing that remains is that eject from WPS popup menu does not have any effect and from the command line works.

Hi lewhoo,

Congrats on finding the solution. As for the eject issue, a workaround would be to create an icon to a batch/script file that calls the commandline eject.

If the drive letter stays the same, you can simply make a batch file. If it does not, you can make it provide you a simple selector (or pass it one by dragging and dropping the drive onto the icon for the commandline batch file icon), or you can write a simple REXX script that gets the drive letters, looks for that drive and ejects it calling the commandline eject command.

Hope that helps till someone figures out how to get the WPS eject function to work for you.

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

DavidG

You can also use LVMGUI to assign a permanent drive letter to your pen drive.  I have done this many times.

lewhoo

To be honest the eject problem is not a real issue. I have a permanent drive letter assigned also. Rather, I'd love to see full speed on this pendrive, however I know that's a deep OS/2 problem.