• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Intel 82540EM onboard NIC - slot not specified for driver instance 1 error

Started by halgorithm, 2008.11.21, 20:16:10

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Quote from: ivan on 2008.11.26, 01:06:38
Robert, please don't think my post was any criticism of you - it was just my 40+ years as a diagnostic engineer coming to the fore.  In fact I find most of what you post very informative and learn from them even though I've been using OS/2 since version 1.3.01.

Ivan, not at all! I had a long night last night (ugh, too many lately), and just skimmed through the posts - before coffee - while trying to do 3 other things. Never a good combination...

;)  ;D

And... thanks for the compliment as well! I can definitely say I've always been appreciative of yours and others' input and help here - and glad we are a community that can do that!

Thanks,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

halgorithm

Quote from: ivan on 2008.11.25, 22:14:26
...most probably a left over artifact from the time he tried with a physical nic in a PCI slot in which all he needs to do is either use MPTS to remove the card  or edit the protocol.ini in ?:\ibmcom...

Maybe it's a PEBKAC, but I can't determine where I need to change it in MPTS - I only see a single network card (the on board one) in reference.  My protocol.ini doesn't reference to any other driver besides netbeui, tcpip, and the e1000 (not the 3com card I had in the machine initially)

I've also skimmed through the ibmlan.ini and again, not seeing the variable to change. 

What I'm going to try to do is 'remove' the lan adapter and all protocols, treat the machine like it has no nic.  Then, proceed to try to install it fresh after a powercycle.  Won't use NICPAK this next time around either.

::EDIT / UPDATE::

No go gentlemen, even on a fresh system it does the same thing.  It is either protocol related with tcpip / netbios running or it is the simple fact that the .ini or .nif file requires modification from its original state.

I have the hex address of the card being at 0x0160 and I just can't figure out where to plug this in as an option.

Saijin_Naib

Doesnt that go in the field for Card Slot in the MTPS settings?

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.11.27, 01:44:54
Doesnt that go in the field for Card Slot in the MTPS settings?

Not if there is only one card.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

Halgorithm,  you need to check the nif file the nic is using and see what it says about slots.

The following is from RTL8139.nif that I use on all but one of my computers.

[BUSNO]
  Display    = "Identify card using Bus Number:"
  Type       = Hexadecimal
; Default    = "0"
  Optional   = Yes
  Editable   = Yes
  Range      = 0-31
  Help       = "This parameter selects correct card of multiple network
                adapter cards. It is the PCI BUS number of the adapter card.
                The value of this parameter is 0x00-0x1f.
                Use together with Device Number."

The nif file you are using needs something like the above to work without asking for a slot number.

Most cards are set to optional but I have noticed that some intel cards require a number even if they are the only card.  This may be your problem but as I don't have a copy of the nif file you are using I can't say for certain.

halgorithm

Quote from: ivan on 2008.11.27, 14:42:22
Halgorithm,  you need to check the nif file the nic is using and see what it says about slots.

The following is from RTL8139.nif that I use on all but one of my computers.

[BUSNO]
  Display    = "Identify card using Bus Number:"
  Type       = Hexadecimal
; Default    = "0"
  Optional   = Yes
  Editable   = Yes
  Range      = 0-31
  Help       = "This parameter selects correct card of multiple network
                adapter cards. It is the PCI BUS number of the adapter card.
                The value of this parameter is 0x00-0x1f.
                Use together with Device Number."

The nif file you are using needs something like the above to work without asking for a slot number.

Most cards are set to optional but I have noticed that some intel cards require a number even if they are the only card.  This may be your problem but as I don't have a copy of the nif file you are using I can't say for certain.

Ah... interesting to note that the Intel NIF doesn't have a "default" option listed under the 'busno' / 'SLOT' area.  In addition, doesn't inform the user on how to configure the slots, etc.  I read through the help file with no avail, it didn't tell me squat.  I would have thought it had a SLOT field to populate or at least have it semi-ed out.  I specified a blank SLOT= field and it didn't change, nor did the messages go away when I had put SLOT = 0x0160 or SLOT = 0160 in the area.

I'll try using the Default field under SLOT, see if I can squelch that annoying message about it not being configured when it gets configured somehow automagically. 

[SLOT]
   display = "Slot/Device Identifier"
   type = Hexadecimal
   range = 0-1FFF
   optional = YES
   editable = YES
   help = "Use of this parameter is only required in systems with more than one
adapter installed. If you are installing more than one PCI adapter: 1) complete
the configuration process, but leave the Slot field blank for each driver;
2) restart the system and record the list of Slots that each driver displays;
3) complete the configuration by assigning one of the values from the list to
the Slot parameter of each driver. Leave the field blank if you have only one
adapter installed."

Here's a PCI info regarding the NIC...

Vendor 8086h Intel Corporation
Device 100Eh 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Command 0117h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster, MemWrite+Invalidate, System Errors)
Status 0230h (Has Capabilities List, Supports 66MHz, Medium Timing)
Revision 02h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency 40h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
Cache line size 64 Bytes (16 DWords)
PCI Class Network, type Ethernet
Subsystem ID 01511028h PRO/1000 MT Network Connection (Guess Only!)
Subsystem Vendor 1028h Dell Computer Corp
Address 0 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb) : FEAE0000h
Address 2 is an I/O Port : 0000DF40h
System IRQ 9, INT# A
New Capabilities List Present:
   Power Management Capability
     Supports power state D1
     Current Power State : D0 (Device operational, no power saving)
   PCI-X Capability
     Primary AD Bus size is 32-bit
     Primary AD Bus Maximum Speed in PCI-X mode is 66MHz
   Message Signalled Interrupt Capability
     MSI is disabled
     MSI function can generate 64-bit addresses

RobertM

Hi Hal,

If it works and is only giving a "Slot not specified" message, then all may be well. As noted in the NIF file, the Intel Gigabit drivers (from at least v3.6x upwards) are not supposed to have a slot ID configured for single card use.

When no slot is specified, the driver should report that it was not specified and that the driver will be "using card in slot ID ____"

If it is doing that, successfully loading the driver, and successfully working; then the message is simply informational and can be ignored. If it is failing along the way or requiring you to hit a key to continue, then you have a problem.

On another note about these chipsets:
There are other performance related parameters that go with this card as well, but I would try them at your own risk (they control memory buffer use, etc) - as using too high a value will cause your machine to trap (regardless of which driver you use). The defaults seem to work adequately enough.

Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|