• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Boot ECS from GRUB

Started by rdonnelly, 2008.11.29, 22:09:54

Previous topic - Next topic

rdonnelly

I am having problems booting different OS's. I have Win XP, FreeDos, eCS, and Linux, on different partions. I can not boot Linux from boot manger or Boot Magic. If I let grub take the job, it adds Win XP and FreeDos to the boot menu, but not eCS. Also Linux is unable to mount my JFS partition. in the drives window these drive are displace as the name 0100 (binary) I added eCS to the grub menu, all is correct, but it will not boot, I get the following error.

Root (hd0,4) File System JFS Partition type 0x7
saveddefault
makeactive
error 12: Invalid device request

If any one is booting linux and ecs, could you please tell me your setup.

Thanks Bob
Just waiting for eCS to have all the features................

Pete

Hi Bob

I don't really play with linux much these days - stopped somewhere around suse v8.

I seem to recall that adding linux to a system meant installing grub to the linux boot partition, so starting linux from BootManager actually started grub. I think this was simply because grub could not handle eCS(OS/) boot partitions/volumes. No idea if grub has improved since then...

Regards

Pete

melf

/Mikael

rdonnelly

I originally tried to add the linux partition to BM, but it would not boot, that is why I tried Boot Magic. That did not boot linux either.

melf

Quote from: rdonnelly on 2008.11.30, 17:25:10
I originally tried to add the linux partition to BM, but it would not boot, that is why I tried Boot Magic. That did not boot linux either.

Don't use Linux myself but I'm quite shure that air-boot will load Linux. You should grab latest release if you use JFS on eCS.
/Mikael

Bill

Bob,
        I use Boot Manager to run two eCS opsystems and a Linux one.     I run the eCS partitions as normal and I set up Linux from a disk and when it came to setting up Grub, it asked where I wanted Grub, in its own partition or in the Linux base partition.    I asked for it to be in the Linux partition and it continued the install.

I put an entry in BM pointing at the Linux partition and use it to start Linux.    The machine jumps to the Grub start up, asks me which kernel I wish to use and carries on from there.

So, put Grub in the Linux partition, it works for me :)

cheers,  Bill

rdonnelly

I have grub in my linux partition as well. I will have to reinstall BM and see if I can not boot linux. Just wondering if installing BM is going to be seen in linux as another partition before the linux partition?

Bill

DFSee shows my disk as having the first entry as

01>   Prim oa IBM-BMGR  (etc.)            where the > shows this is the active/startable item on the system
02*    Prim 83 Linuxnatv    (etc.)            where the *  shows this is a bootable item
03*    Log  07 Inst-Fsys     (etc.)               "         "         "         "        "           "

there are two other Log 07 partitions with * which appear on the BM menu and can be booted.   The system starts or re-starts with the BM menu and continues happily to whichever system is selected.  I have never had Linux get confused by this.  My Linux is a Debian based one, I think some other bases may have problems???
As before, it works for me but YMMV

Glenn

I install Grub globally. From Grub, I can boot Linux, WinXP, or Bootmanager. BM has a very short timer with os/2 as the default.
i like booting Grub first because it means I can drop any linux distro in and not have to worry about grub getting muddled. I just keep an offline copy of menu.lst