• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS v2.0 RC5 on Dell Inspiron 8600

Started by kim, 2008.11.16, 13:53:33

Previous topic - Next topic

kim

Found a little annoying when installing RC5 onto a Dell Inspiron 8600; I usually diversify the installations files and puts applications onto drive D: and when doing this the installations never gets through the point to install network dial-up tools. If I use the standard installation path which is drive C: then it installs as it should; but changing the installation path to drive D: the installation won't get pass above point.

Any one have this same little weird error?

kim

Well, quick update; if I let the RC5 install everything on C: then the installation works fine. Current issues is that Intel wifi won't work and no audio either; so need to look into this. Haven't tried the broadcom integrated wired nic yet, but will check this also to see if it works or not.

Pete

Hi Kim

Sorry, no real idea why RC5 will not complete the install if you select D: for "PROGRAMS"...

My only thought so far is that maybe D: needs a chkdsk? -  In the event of a system crash file systems can be left "marked" as "clean" when they are actually "dirty" and, as a result, do not get chkdsk'd at boot. You can force a chkdsk at the next boot by changing the AUTOCHECK values in config.sys eg

Standard line: IFS=H:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:*

Force chdsk line: IFS=H:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:+H+I+J+K+L

No idea on why the Intel wifi does not work - except to suggest that either the wrong driver is in use or it is misconfigured.

I think you need to use PCI.EXE to identify nic details - vendor id, device id - and then check the driver in use supports that nic.

Audio: Does that laptop use HDA or AC'97? - and which version of uniaud did you install?

Regards

Pete