• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

FF2 to FF3

Started by OriAl, 2008.11.18, 21:35:49

Previous topic - Next topic

OriAl

I've been using the PmW versions of Firefox and Seamonkey.  How do I upgrade to 3.0x?  My profiles are in a /Mozprofiles tree.

Thanks for the help.

OriAl

Hi,

I've been sick for a while, but I still need to make the upgrade. Where do I find info?

Thank you.

melf

I'm not shure how you organized your profiles, but I'll tell you how I do it the easy way:

• First, make this statement in config.sys "SET MOZILLA_HOME=X:\HOME\DEFAULT" (where X is your choosen drive) or a path wherever you want it, but if you choose the "HOME"-path you have all your settings in the same place (as Mercury, OpenOffice, Thunderbird, Firefox, Mplayer et cetera). For my part I always have that path to a drive separated from the boot drive. In that way I can upgrade my eCS system without loosing settings and mails!
  • Firefox now saves you settings in  a "MOZILLA" - folder, ie X:\HOME\DEFAULT\MOZILLA. That means you can unzip a new FF-version in a place you like and that firefox will look in the "MOZILLA_HOME" path and find the settings. Very nice!
  • In your case I guess your should do like this: 1. Put the above stated setting in your config.sys and then reboot. 2. Unzip a new FF-version in a place that you want and start it - this will generate a "MOZILLA" map in the "MOZILLA_HOME" path. 3. Copy your old profile to that map in a proper way, including plugins and add-ons (extensions). 4. Startup your new FF-version. If it now has the right settings, you have succeded, and in the future you can just unzip a new version and erase the old.
  • If you use Sunbird, the calender, it puts its settings in the "MOZILLA" map also, while Thunderbird use its own "THUNDERBIRD" map, where it also puts all your mails.

Hope this helps!
/Mikael

OriAl

Thanks.  I have always had SET MOZILLA_HOME=F:\MOZPROFILES.

So it sounds like I should just delete the directory  tree holding FF 2.0.0.19, and replace it with unzipped FF 3.05?

ivan

It might be a good idea to rename the present firefox directory to something like firefox2, that way you have it to fall back on if anything goes wrong. 

Another thing you should be aware of is the need for a truetype font like workplace sans otherwise you will have problems with the menus of ff3.