• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

What is the best way to update JFS on eCS v1.2MR?

Started by RobertM, 2008.12.02, 22:46:33

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Hello all,

I've recently updated my WSeB machine to the 1.104a SMP kernel and JFS14105 - with no issues - which has resolved various issues in trying to chkdsk the drive and seems to have made the JFS partition more stable.

Now... I am about to attempt to update my eCS v1.2MR machine, but I noticed that the readme that came with the jfs14105.exe package says it is not for eComStation (though it does not specify a particular version - is it talking about the 2.0RCs? the 1.0 or 1.1 releases? the 1.2 releases? or any eCS install?), and that the update from the eComStation site should be used instead (with a link that is no longer valid for finding the JFS update there).

The problem I have is there is no such update on the eCS site that I can find (or perhaps it is rolled up in another update?). As I am running into many of the same problems on the eCS machine as I was on the WSeB machine, (with JFS), I am pretty sure I need to update JFS somehow.

Does anyone know if there really is a reason this update cannot be used? Or did the creators of this update just wish to send people to the "official eCS" update instead? If a particular "eCS Friendly" update is required, does anyone know where it is located?

Thanks,
Robert

Side note... I found the OS2MT package to be the simplest way to update the kernel and back up the updated files. A lot easier than trying to do it manually (and changing the file attributes and such to properly perform the backup and the upgrade).

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

David McKenna

Robert,

Have you tried eCSMT? I'm pretty sure you can update JFS with it (if it isn't already).

Dave McKenna

RobertM

Quote from: David McKenna on 2008.12.03, 00:07:24
Robert,

Have you tried eCSMT? I'm pretty sure you can update JFS with it (if it isn't already).

Dave McKenna

Hi Dave,

In OS2MT, JFS doesnt seem to be in any of the install lists (unless the JFS update is rolled into one of the DDFPs - but in which case, it is older than the 14105 version I used on the WSeB machine).

Thanks,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi Robert

No idea why IBM would state that it is not for eCS - unless they meant that it has not been modified to enable eCSMT to install it - usually means a couple of text files added to the package.

OR - IBM wanted to make sure that people would not apply this package to an eCS system running BootableJFS. That would cause a bit of confusion/frustration/anxiety/stress to a user that performed that feat :-)

I should think you are OK to apply the IBM version - but it is up to you.

Alternatively Login at eComStation and get the eCS modified version; Search driver updates for JFS. There is definitely a JFS14105.exe somewhere on the eCS ftp server. I am sure because in the past I downloaded a copy. If really stuck email me and I'll dig it out of my archive and attach a copy to my response.

Regards

Pete