• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

What is proper way to report news to OS/2World?

Started by DavidG, 2008.12.11, 17:04:24

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidG

It seems like every time a submit a news report, it never gets posted.

So my question is, what are the proper steps to post news?

David

Pete

Hi David

No idea - there does not seem to be a "report news" link...

A quick hunt through the Contact Us link leads me to suggest that news should probably be sent to newsmaster@os2world.com

Regards

Pete

kim

David,

to submit material to the site, please then use the Submit Material under User Meny in the left column of the site. I've also changed your profile to Author so it will be quicker for us to publish submitted material. Also, what did submit that hasn't bee published yet?

DavidG

Hi Kim

Based on your reply, I submitted the material as you suggested.  The material announces the release of the latest FAT32 driver.  Thanks for your response.

David

miturbide

The fault is from the lazy newsmaster.   ::)
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

DavidG

The fault is mine.  I never noticed the "Submit Material" on the left hand side of screen.  It makes me wonder if this should not be listed as one of the major selections like Home, Gallery, etc... is.

David

Pete

Hi All

I must also admit to not noticing the "Submit Material" under the User Menu heading. Apologies.

I suspect in my case it is because my attention is immediately grabbed by the centre column with links to latest news and forum topics...

I got the Mrs to have a look at os2world.com and give me her impression of the site (I'll keep this shorter than she did  ;-)

Colour and Link Positioning!

To clarify:

The background colour to the Menu headings does not make the Menus stand out - too much of the same or very similar colour is in use throughout the page and is hiding these Menus to a degree. Also people with conditions such as Dyslexia may have trouble reading the website due to too much of the same colour.

The top menu bar seems to contain useful links but for a website that also needs user input, eg articles/news, that top menu bar should also have a Submit Material link.

The Mrs did design, implement and maintain a website for a charity organisation for about 4 years so has some experience in these matters - unlike myself who used to get roped into helping with html coding if I could not escape down the pub  ;-)

Hope you guys do not think I'm being rude - not my intention at all.

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

I donno, I rather disagree. The page is very clean and simple, I rather like it as is.

Pete

Hi Saijin_Naib

Well, we are both used to using the site which is why I got someone who does not visit the site to give her impressions.

The fact is that neither David or I had looked closely enough to see the "Submit Material" link so something does not quite stand out for David and myself.

Obviously because 2 people do not see a link they are looking for does not mean that the site is "wrong" but does lead to the question: How many other people do not see links they are looking for on this site? - and Why?

I think os2world is an important site for OS/2 related news and discussion and I hope those people responsible for os2world.com will realise I am not "having a go" at the site but simply submitting some possible answers to the above questions from a person who does not use the website and has experience of maintaining a website that needed maximum accessibility.

I do think she has a point about colour and suspect that may be part of the reason David and I both failed to spot a fairly obvious link...

Regards

Pete

DavidG

I think the problem for me is that it just did not stand out.  This is a news site.  As a result, I keep expecting the selection to be in the main grouping at the top of the page.

David

kim

Well, everything can be improved and should if possible. The current layout is quite old and goes back before we moved to Joomla and this was due to earlier discussion where people wanted to keep the colours, menu, etc. So nothing has really changed over the last 5 years; except the content management system.

I would actually like to see if we could make a major update of the layout of the site and as well keep something from the past. So, if you guys are open for a web design competition; I'm all in!

ModZilla

I don't know what is any better than joomla for this type of forum*...if u snewz you lose, improving on something for the sake of much more better is just another runaround for the sake of saying that something else is in need of yet another workaround, if it ain't broke why bother...eh? BYE

Oh, more thoughts...is this an ecomsta forum? err..or is it still *(although to a very ltd degree) an OS2 forum?, oh well bloaks, its snewz to me if it even vaguely resembles anything like what it was even a year ago...if this is really just a news forum then why IT? its about evilution, not evolution, isnt it.
someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!