• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

DBExpert--Again!

Started by Dennis, 2008.12.27, 06:15:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

I finally got my DBExpert files restored. However, it won't open forms or tables that are there for the reason 'No Active Form Found'. This has happened to me before, but long enough ago that I don't remember the solution.
Help, please.

Dennis

OK, here's the situation:
   I backed up my current DBExpert files with BackAgain/2000, installed eCS 2.06a on my notebook. When I installed the new eCS version, I formatted my C: (boot) drive JFS. All data drives(partitions, not physical) are still formatted HPFS. Once the install was done, I tried running dbExpert and it gave me an error message: 'Error Opening (formname), Active Form Not found'. However, when I view the partition, the forms, tables, etc. are still on the partition and in the directory where they should be.
I reinstalled dbExpert, restored my current dbExpert data files and I still get the same error message. DBExpert WAS working just fine before I installed the eCS upgrade.
PLEASE HELP!! I need dbExpert to work so I can do my taxes!

Thank you in advance for your help.

DavidG

Dennis, have you tried running chkdsk to make sure the partition is not dirty?

David

Pete

Hi Dennis

I'm not familiar with DBExpert but the error message suggests some configuration data that would allow DBExpert to find the "Active Form" of the project is missing.

I have no idea whether this is set in config.sys, os2.ini, or a DBExpert related ini file.

Regards

Pete

Thomas

Hello Dennis,

do you have your DBEXPERT-Statements in libpath and path of your config.sys?
They should be there if you installed not only eCS but also DBExpert.

Thomas

Dennis

Partition is clean--just formatted. I installed eCS 2.0 rc6a and formatted the boot partition as JFS. All other partitions are HPFS, which might be my problem. Will re-install DBExpert after eCS install to get DBExpert statements into Config.sys.
A lightbulb went off in my head late last night that maybe DBExpert--which is on an HPFS partition, needs to read the ODBC files in the boot partition, so I'm re-installing and formatting boot partition HPFS.

Thanks for the responses.

Dennis

Finally!

That lightbulb that went off late last nite was the right idea.  DBExpert needs the ODBC files that are in the root directory. When I reinstalled eCS 2.0rc6 and formatted the boot partition HPFS, DBExpert began doing what it is supposed to do. HPFS will NOT read JFS. I don't know if JFS will read HPFS.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Dennis

Pete

Hi Dennis

I'm not sure what "went off late last nite" but the post does not seem to make much sense to me:-

"HPFS will NOT read JFS. I don't know if JFS will read HPFS."

What do you mean?

I do not know DBExpert at all but think you mean that because DBExpert was installed on a hpfs formatted drive with some files on a jfs formatted boot drive DBExpert could not access the files on the jfs drive? - even after a re-install of DBExpert?

Strange - never had that happen when I had a mix of hpfs and jfs drives; I'm now using jfs for all eCS volumes. Maybe it is something specific to DBExpert...

Regards

Pete

Dennis

Pete--
A thought hit me late  and I wasn't able to act on it until the next day(a lite bulb went off late last nite). DBExpert uses ODBC files, and for some reason, there are 2 ODBC files--ODBC.INI and ODBCINST.INI in the c:\OS2 directory on my boot partition. These 2 files are updated every time I use DBExpert (I just discovered this the other nite). When I re-installed eCS 2.0rc6, formatted the boot partition HPFS, and re-installed DBExpert, DBExpert started working without a problem.

However, I may have made too big an assumption that the 2 file systems are incompatible. I do know that DBExpert doesn't know what to do with JFS.

Dennis

microdrome

Hi ,
Perhaps i can shed some light ,i use dbexpert for 10 years ,still constantly changing things and it has been on hpfs aswell as a mix and jfs only.
So I think you are looking in the wrong place.
for starters :
1: asuming you do not use the runtime version ,can you open the table in the table view ?
2: if not try file/connect to database
3: then change physical table - is it locating to the wright dbf file ?

Peter

Dennis

When my boot partition was HPFS, before installing the eCS upgrade, DBExpert worked. I could open forms, reports, tables, macros, etc in design view, table view, and any other view that was available.
After I installed the upgrade on my boot partition using JFS, nothing worked. I could open an application, but could not open any forms, reports, etc. in ANY view.
Once I re-installed ECS 2.0rc6 using HPFS, I clicked on DBExpert, opened an application, and everything worked perfectly--without doing file/connect to database or change physical table. That's why I believe there is a problem between DBExpert and JFS.

microdrome

I have to disagree ,i have a brandnew machine with only JFS and variour RS's
But you mentioned retoring from Backagain ,what if the restore to JFS messes up files ?

I have trown BA2000 in the trash a long time ago because of the many problems ,2Gb limit and no more updates.

I always backup things by using normal (WPS) copy or FTP transfers ,then all filesystem translations are done properly.

To get it working is simple ( i have done this multiple times) > after installation of ecomstation , install DBexpert as usual,
and then copy the necessary files from a previous working situation over them (the whole \DBExpert directory)

But not by using BA2000 just copy the working one (the ones you have now on HPFS copied somewhere)

Should work.....

Peter

jep

Hello,

(haven't skimmed all posts, but since the problem wasn't solved in the last...)

JFS or HPFS doesn't matter, the path where you installed DBExpert is very important though, if you change >anything<, name, spelling or path, it will most probably barf you in the face and refuse to do what you want. It seem as the DBE-file format store absolute paths.

Also ensure that you can start the ODBC Admininstators utility found in the DBExpert directory (Pink/Purple background of main Window?). If it tries to start something else, look at the libpath statement and try to tweak it so that it work again and look at the drivers it list, you need the ones tied to DBExpert. Add one of the drivers by hand and try to change some settings to see if it behave right.

What happen if you open a table (edit view)?
Does it say it can't find the table or just close?
You may have to reattach it...
If so, it's probably a problem with absolute paths and you need to reattach all tables before you can look at queries and forms etc.

//Jan-Erik

Dennis

Thanks for the tips Jan-Erik. Since I changed the boot partition back to HPFS, DBExpert is working just fine.

Dennis

rob

Hello,
I am sure that the HPFS and JFS not is the problem. The problem was the path. The drive leter when you restore was diferent, that before restore. Another solution for this problem is edit the program.dbe with a KON editor or similar, and change into the file all D:\ by C:\ or similar.
Regards.