• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Video card recommendations for dual-monitor setup?

Started by osy, 2009.01.01, 14:57:37

Previous topic - Next topic

osy

Hello,
I have been using a Radeon 9250 based Club 3D (256MB) card to drive two LCDs for some time but recently the card died. I replaced it with a Palit 9550 128MB card but it seems it has some issues with the SNAP 3.1.8 driver. The system freezes randomly even in one monitor configuration. This happens in conjunction of some simple graphics operations like scrolling, moving a window or even writing 'dir' in a command window. Now I am on with the painfully slow GENGRADD  :-[. (No hangs here, though.)

While still trying to figure out if I can stabilise the 9550, I would appreciate recommendations of video cards you guys have had success with two monitors.

The system is based on a K7S8X, AMD 2400+ and runs EcomStation 1.2R.

BR, Otso

cyberspittle

Dude,

You can always go with another ATI 9250. They are pretty cheap.

osy

Yes, I suppose I will have to dig out one. That was my original game plan, too, but I did not find one from the local resellers.

microdrome

I am using a dual monitor setup for many years now and am now using a ATI Radion X850 card
This is the fastest card which snap supports and is available in PCI-express

If works absolutely flawless and fast ,so if you want to do it right ,i would recommend this one (or the X800)

Peter

Saijin_Naib

I believe snap supports the Nvidia 6600 line which are faster than the X850 for OpenGL so :\

Shai

I'm using a NVIDIA GeForce 6200 card. It's not fully supported by SNAP although it seems to have a similar chipset as a fully supported one (6600? I forgot...) that's why it's working almost flawlessly. The only issue I noticed is that after every display resolution change to a dual head mode (for instance, right after a (re)boot, a fullscreen OS/2 or DOS session or some game) I have to use gactrl.exe to reactivate the second screen. Put it as an object into my XCenter bar, but still kind of annoying...

cyberspittle

Here's a X800:

Diablotek Radeon X800 GTO Video Card - 256MB, AGP, HDTV, VGA, S-Video
$49.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4102215&sku=D15-9118&srkey=X800

Here's a X850:

VisionTek Xtacy Radeon X850 XT Video Card - 256MB DDR3, PCI Express, DVI, VGA, TV Out
$59.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1261666&sku=V261-3044&srkey=X850

RobertM

Every ATI Radeon I have tried seems to work for dual screen - though I have not tried many of the new top of the line ones. Currently, I am using a Radeon 9800 XT which is a nice solution for those who need AGP, and should be findable on eBay and elsewhere very cheap.

If you just need two displays without super high capabilities, there are also some older Matrox cards out there (but I believe you need the native Matrox drivers to use 2 screens).

I've not been able to get some nVidia cards working (with latest SNAP)... so, if a particular version is supported by SNAP, don't presume that an older one will work for dual head. For instance, if the 6600 is supported, dont presume that it means the 6000 is fully supported.

Also, certain nVidia cards seem to only work for me in "BIOS mode" or whatever it is, and are excruciatingly slow - and many that I have that do work (in either mode) I cant get the second display to work.

Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

osy

Thanks guys for your replies!

As my current mobo, the K7S8X, is still usable, I will have to look at the AGP options. Going to a Matrox card and old proprietary drivers does not feel appealing, but an X800 or 9800XT sounds good. The only thing which may be worse with them in comparison to my current passively cooled Radeon 9550, is sound level.

BTW, has anyone experienced the kind of crashes with SNAP 3.1.8 I explained in my first message?

RobertM

I dont recall what version of SNAP I am running - it is build number 503, Nov 17, 2005 though (if that helps) on my 9800XT AGP based system, with no such crashes.

The only issue I ran into was trying to change to another video card (such as a 9550) when the fan died on the 9800XT. SNAP thinks it initialized everything fine, the system seems to function, but both displays report "Out of range" - right-click, shutdown works (even though I cannot see it), and pre-GUI screens work.

Other than that, no issues. Eventually, I simply replaced the fan on the 9800XT and didnt bother fooling around with it anymore.

Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|