• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

DBExpert / sorting a table

Started by Thomas, 2009.01.02, 21:06:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Hello,

I have a question related to DBExpert.
I created a table with DBExpert containing names etc..
Now I would like to sort this table considering german "Umlauts" (i.e. "ä").
Can somebody explain me how this can be done?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Thomas

Raiko

Open the table in design view and then click on the "Keys" tab.
There you can specify the sorting. The Norwegian alphabet has 3 more letters than
the English and DBExpert handles them correctly.
(If your table has lots of data I suggest that you create a copy of the table and use
that one for testing. I lost a few records when I did some changes to the keys for a
table with lots of data.)

Thomas

Hello Raiko,

first of all thanks a lot for your reply.
As a beginner in using DBExpert I do not understand what you mean by your posting. Therefor I took two screenshots of the DBExpert window.
What I want is that DBExpert handles "ä" as "ae" for example.
Can you please explain me what I have to do to get this done?

What I did in another case was, using the command "Like". Is it this what you mean?
Again thanks a lot.

Thomas

RobertM

Hi,

I have not used this in a long time... so I dont remember the answer to the big question this poses. Does it support "foreign" character sets - or allow for custom indexing of such characters?

If not, the (sloppy) workaround is to have a secondary field for that data where you have already turned the accented characters into something else. Such as:

Name: Rämon

NameSort: Raemon

The data gets stored in "Name" and your program then puts the "sortable" spelling in "NameSort" which would then be the field you create a key for and do your searching in.

It also means you have to have a "translation" function to handle user input before searches as well so when someone searches for "Rämon" it translates it into "Raemon" and searches the "NameSort" field instead of the "Name" field.

Then basically, for list creation, you would sort and read by the "NameSort" field, but display the "Name" field instead.

That may be all unnecessary if the db program supports what you are looking for - but again, it's been ages since I played with it.

Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|