• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

What do you expect from eCS 2.0 GA ?

Started by warpcafe, 2009.06.30, 19:47:19

Previous topic - Next topic

warpcafe

Hi folks,

all available information set aside - what is *your* expectation from eCS 2.0 GA?
Take it like a wish list... tell me what you are hoping for in regards to eCS 2.0... will you hope your system gets stable (or run at all), hope for faster bootup? See a USB device finally working?

For me, it's not really the GA itself, but rather the eCS 2.0 DEMO CD that will be made out of it.
Personally, I'm OK with my RC6 and the patchworked software install on it... I'm not sure if I'll install the GA on top of my working RC setup... anyway:

What's it for you?

Cheers,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Saijin_Naib

I want to see easy booting from USB CD/DVD as well as flashdrives.

I also want to see better support for Widescreen modes in non Intel or AMD chipsets (VIA/Nvidia).

I want to see support for VIA CPUs.

(I basically want this to run on my Everex Cloudbook/Sylvania G Netbook or other VIA powered netbook).

Andi

An OS
- in my native language (to enable my relatives to work on my systems or the systems I manage)
- which I can install on >1 core systems and which makes use of the extra cores
- which can drive TFTs via DVI with there native resolution and with useable scrooling and dragging speed (PM and CLI, SNAP VESA speed is not acceptable)
- minimal power managment capabilities especially for Notebooks (suspend, CPU trottling, batterie status, hybernate would be a bonus)
- support for built in NICs and WiFi interfaces (working RTL8111 and newer Intel Wifi chips in Notebooks)
- a non crashing and smootly working uniaud/smplayer (ok does not fit in here well, but I would like to have it)

jep

Andi,

- We'll translate eCS to my language (Swedish) whenever it's possible, I'll help out, though expect it to take a moment to complete.
- I'd like to use the extra cores as well in my newer machine.
- I'll help out (money and time) if SNAP and Panorma will be merged into one solution.
- My built in RTL8111 NIC work great with GenMac 2.20 over the LAN with NETBIOS/NETBEUI¹ and TCP/IP (haven't tested "NETBIOS over TCP/IP").
- UNIAud need to make more noise on my new machine, sound is to low.

//Jan-Erik

¹) Has to remove the driver once to get it working though, or it'll crash every 2Gb. Reordering of ibmlan.ini and related config files seem to help.

Andi

Quote from: jep on 2009.07.01, 14:34:27
- My built in RTL8111 NIC work great with GenMac 2.20 over the LAN with NETBIOS/NETBEUI¹ and TCP/IP (haven't tested "NETBIOS over TCP/IP").
//Jan-Erik

¹) Has to remove the driver once to get it working though, or it'll crash every 2Gb. Reordering of ibmlan.ini and related config files seem to help.
Can you explain 'Reordering' in more detail? Which config files (config.sys, setup.cmd, startup.cmd)? Or can you send me copy (andi.b @ NOSPAM gmx.net). I'll give it another try.

jep

Hi Andi,

Quote from: Andi on 2009.07.02, 12:53:32
Can you explain 'Reordering' in more detail? Which config files (config.sys, setup.cmd, startup.cmd)? Or can you send me copy (andi.b @ NOSPAM gmx.net). I'll give it another try.

see my e-mail reply to you.

//Jan-Erik

Blonde Guy

I'm expecting RC6a with a couple of fixes, and a GA label.

The really good stuff in the pipeline is apparently not going to be in the GA, and that's fine with me. I will give RC7 a really good test, though.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation