• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Mensys needs feedback! (Installing eCS on discs +512 GB and next to Vista)

Started by rwklein, 2009.01.09, 18:33:53

Previous topic - Next topic

rwklein

Some work that makes eComStation possible is done by volunteers. Other things are possible because people and companies by licenses of eComstation, software subscription etc. Thats how I (Roderick) and other people can work on eComStation.

Some of this research has been done in the last 2 weeks. We need your feedback in the eComStation bug tracker to see if it works. To access the bugtracker you need to login www.ecomstation.com and then goto the bugtracker.
This stuff is not for the faint harted. If you don't know what your doing and get confused from reading these bugs then don't work on it :-) Hopefully these two items WILL be fixed in eComstation RC 7 so it will be just a matter of clicking some buttons!

Point 1: Some people who have been experimenting with eComStation and hard discs bigger then 512 GB have found some problems. Basicly if you wipe the LVM information AND the first sector of the hard disc with DFSEE and create all partitions on the drive with eCS. You can dual boot Windows XP and eCS. Even boot eCS from a drive bigger then 512 GB.

See eComStation bugnumber 2345 for details.
Hopefully we can come up with a solution to make it work without having to wipe the hard discs.
This is still in the research stages.  But it has something to do with the CHS values.

Point 2 People installing eCS next to Vista may have found that you get a Vista winload.exe error.
The solution is that you need to use DFSEE to collect the "NT disk signature" value. Do the install and THEN install the boot manager and eCS. Go BACK into dfsee and put back the "NT disk signature" value.
This should fix the winload.exe error message. And you should be able to boot Vista via the eCS boot manager.
Details can be found in bug 2354.

More feedback on your experience with Vista and eCS is also needed when it comes to drive layout.
Read bug report  2355 for this.

Again the bugtraker is NOT intended to ask support questions if you don't understand something.
I need people to provide feedback if it works yes or no.

Thanks for your feedback,

Roderick Klein
Mensys

wesco

would have loved to; but our subscription ran out. corporate decided that repeatedly paying the subscription cost for a product that may not see light of day as well as spending our company resources to beta test it to be obscene. good luck.

rwklein

Quote from: wesco on 2009.01.10, 18:53:14
would have loved to; but our subscription ran out. corporate decided that repeatedly paying the subscription cost for a product that may not see light of day as well as spending our company resources to beta test it to be obscene. good luck.

As one of the people working on the core of all the eComstation project at Mensys I can understand that point of view. It will see the day of light eComStation 2.0.

Mensys is aware of the fact its taking that long and a lot of considerations have gone into when or not releasing eCS 2.0. Its a balance between when we release a product and not. And what type of support load it gives.
Next to that a lot of stuff needed to be done to keep OS/2 running on current hardware. And it can be done.
But it has taken way to more time. We have been working on stuff IBM has not even worked on like ACPI.
And this is needed.

You will BTW receive eComStation 2.0 final free of charge.

Best regards,

Roderick Klein
Mensys

lewhoo

I don't know if it is possible in terms of finance of Mensys, but maybe you could start selling year-subscriptions, which will be valid still for a year after eCS 2.0 final release?

For example, I am using legal ACP1 on my home machine. However, I'd like to help develop eCS in legal way, for surely I'll buy ecs 2.0 when it will be realeased. However, only then, for I'll need my subscription mostly after the final release, I believe, and I cannot afford buying a licence for non-final product, only for testing purposes.

So, if mensys stated, that my subscription would be valid still for a year after final release, I would buy eCS 2.0 now. In other case I need to wait for the final release and cannot fully help in testing...

sdttav

I have recently purchased a sata 1TB 3ghz Deskstar hdd. I have not install it yet since this abit kv8 pro only supports 150 sata drives. I do run Hitachi 500 gigbyte hardrives. They work fine with eComStation for years. I think I might have to upgrade to an ASUS or ABIT mainboard for the sata 3gb hdd. The current software subscription is great to me. It is like purchasing eCs 1.2 and getting in the path of the next version with the rc s, and getting 2.0 in the end plus all the beta zone apps and utility. Keep up the good work. I am extremly busy in these hard economic times. I will keep up with eCs since it is the only OS I use these days. I am planing to upgrade to a quad core system, and I need your support to get eCs compliant with all the hardware for that system. Please keep up the great work and great support :) It is much much appreciated here :) :) :)
Steven Douglas Taylor sdttav@suddenlink.net
Thank You,
Steven Douglas Taylor
sdttav@suddenlink.net
http://www.os2ecs.org
#os/2warp & #os2-ecs on the Undernet.org IRC Network servers
My channel  #ecssystem on the irc.WildIRC.Net  servers

isycoed

I am also not in a position to test out eCS releases, but I have a greater concern. When I implement eCS 2.0 I will add a huge application load. It will not then be possible to upgrade by installing a fresh release and so there will have to be a "fixpak" regime in place before I can install. So far I have seen no mentiion of this.

Regards
Derrick Price