• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Sun xVM VirtualBox

Started by rdonnelly, 2009.01.09, 18:35:51

Previous topic - Next topic

rdonnelly

I was wondering, has any one ever installed Sun xVM VirtualBox on an OS2 systems, is it possible? I assume being by Sun it is Java?

What does it do?

Answer it creates a virtual machine on a host computer. On this machine you can installed any OS, as if it were a PC. I just installed windoze XP, and it boots windows xp on top of my Linux destop. NO MORE DUAL BOOTING!! You can also install, Linux, Solaris, OS/2, BSD, Dos, etc. I tried to install Warp 4, but I got a trap before I really got any where.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Could this be the replacement for ODIN?

Bob
Just waiting for eCS to have all the features................

Saijin_Naib

We have a native version of Virtualbox being developed by Paul Smedley. And running a Virtual machine is quite different than having an API emulator like Odin. Myself, I prefer having Odin to having to start and run an entire OS image in a VM just to run something.

rdonnelly

That is good to hear that someone is trying to make a working version of vbox for OS2.

Did You ever try vbox? It only takes 36 seconds total time to start vbox, and  XP. So no big deal to start an entire OS, try that with your dual boot.

And just what apps can you run on Odin?? Vbox can run the apps of multiple OS's in their native OS, no bugs or glitches. I have tried Odin, Wine, and Codeweavers. They all work to an extent, and if these emulators worked so good, I would not even have posted this. And Odin is far behind the other 2. Why do you think Win-OS2 worked so well? Because it ran native windows.

So for best results VM is the way to go, even Paul Smedley knows this.

BTW, it also start windoze apps much faster XP on PC, no long waits for the HD to scramble. XP is my toy OS.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: rdonnelly on 2009.01.09, 20:46:11
Actually, no he doesn't.  I don't even use Virtualbox on any of my systems.  I just built a binary as a service to the community.

Saijin_Naib

I disagree with you Rdonnely. VM is an overly cumbersome and slow process to get an app to run. The elegance of something like WINE or Odin is much appreciated. In any case, I don't use eCS anymore so it matters not to me.

rdonnelly

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2009.01.10, 07:39:49
Quote from: rdonnelly on 2009.01.09, 20:46:11
Actually, no he doesn't.  I don't even use Virtualbox on any of my systems.  I just built a binary as a service to the community.

So, why dont you just pick up on Odin then instead?

rdonnelly

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.01.10, 08:31:51
I disagree with you Rdonnely. VM is an overly cumbersome and slow process to get an app to run. The elegance of something like WINE or Odin is much appreciated. In any case, I don't use eCS anymore so it matters not to me.

I have wine installed as well, and I use it for simple apps that have no problem with it. The point I am making is, OS2 can not run windows, would any one really bitch if they could run native windoze in a VM with out spending several minutes dual booting back and forth? Once I start VM, I do not shut it down, there is nothing cumbersome about it at all. If OS2 was able to run VM I might be using it myself. It has always been my favorite OS and gui. Besides, what exactly do you use your PC for? Playing Games? Trolling the internet? What??? I use mine for business and must run certain specific apps, that are usually written for windoze.

Try to be a little more positive Saijin

Saijin_Naib

I use mine for the following:
Internet browsing
Gaming (I was competitive in leagues for CounterStrike but have since retired)
Office work (require a fully functional/compatible suite for complex document loading and editing, OO.org does NOT meet my requirements as it fails to load complex word and excel documents properly breaking macros and formulas as well as symbolic links)
Video Editing and Production
Media management (well over 30gb of music in various formats/bitrates)
Image editing and management ( well over 30gb of pictures)
Instant Messaging (nothing on OS/2 meets my requirements as all the native AIM apps have not been updated since AOL has made significant changes to the OSCAR protocol)
Document Authoring (PDF/XPS, OS/2 has PDF support but it is marginal and still under development, keep it going guys!)
Scanning and Printing (neither work with Cups/Sane, not the fault of Paul however)
Device Connectivity (MTP/PTP support required, I love Digital Audio Players and Cameras too much to not have this connectivity).

So yeah, I understand that for you a VM is fine, but I still maintain that having Wine would be much more welcome. At one point, someone was working on WINE for OS/2 and had called it WAPE. Unfortunately, the project has stalled like many others. And I am positive, I just know when to fold my cards and now is that time. I cant keep spending money I don't have to support an OS that just simply doesn't meet my needs, no matter my nostalgia or affection for its potential.

Fahrvenugen

I think the whole point is to have an option.

ODIN is great for running some types of apps.  If there's a Windows app that I need to run, and if it will run under ODIN, then that's what I'll do.  Usually the app runs quicker under ODIN then it'll run under a VM with XP running.  Furthermore ODIN does not require an additional license for XP, so anyone without an XP license, this is a benefit.

OTOH there are times when I'll fire up VBox running a build of XP (I do have a license for XP).  I usually do this for only limited uses, I do find that running XP and XP apps under VBOX is definitely slower and more cumbersome then it could be.  So usually I reserve this for limited use.

Furthermore for the times that I do need to actually use a windows-only app for something significant (an app that won't run under ODIN properly) I'll boot into XP itself. 

Bottom line is, there are uses for both Odin and VirtualBox, and I do find the two co-exist quite nicely.

rdonnelly

Well, my whole point was dual booting sucks.

Odin, wine, wape, codeweavers wine, etc. does not work with everything, and things can get glitchy.

It would be nice to run VMs on OS2, isnt that what we used to do back in the early 90s with Win OS2? Well it was,nt a VM but it was native windoze 3.1, and all was good.

I have an accounting app I have been using for almost 15 years. I used to use an older version on Win OS2. I have tried 10 or 20 alternatives, and I did not like them. If VM allows me to run this without dual booting. That is great for me.

Maybe Team OS2 should work on VM. It would have kept me around if they did.

Fahrvenugen

Have you even tried the OS/2 version of VirtualBox?  It actually works pretty well for what you're asking for.

http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/index.php?page=virtualbox

rdonnelly

Quote from: Fahrvenugen on 2009.01.11, 01:09:53
Have you even tried the OS/2 version of VirtualBox?  It actually works pretty well for what you're asking for.

http://www.smedley.info/os2ports/index.php?page=virtualbox

I did not realize it was available, thought it was just being developed, but it is good to know.