• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Printer - pci troubles

Started by Dave Palmer, 2009.01.13, 02:45:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Palmer

Greetings -
Argggh, a long ugly story about a melted motherboard.  I'll skip the udetails.

I replaced the mobo, with another from the same manufacturer - but a different model and chipset.  VIA instead of Intel

All is well except the printer - which now only form feeds and prints one line out of many.  It is the same printer, same cables, same version of Warp that worked before.  About every minute WARP burps and gives me an error message, but other than flashing lights, nothing really prints.

The mobo has a pci/parallel printer port, with the same interrupt level and address as before.  I've set up the BIOS to ECP, etc.

I am "guessing" that a pci-parallel card might produce different results.  If that  a good guess or not?

The same printer, on the same mobo, but under XP, works fine.  I can also attach it to my wife's system and it works fine.

I should mention that the USB ports don't work now, but I am using nonstandard USB code (Chris' USB mass storage kit V1.2) and I expected I might have trouble some day.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

(by the way - since just before Christmas  we've been  through 9 days of being snowed in, flood waters in the house last week - separated by the computer melt down- the new year
has to be better)

Thanks
Dave

Pete

Hi Dave

Obviously a problem somewhere there...

May help if you specify a few things:-

Mainboard - Make, Model and chipset if possible
Warp? - Seems to be a few variations starting with 3  :-) include fixpack level if possible

I would take a guess that you have switched mainboards and simply added back the rest of the hardware eg graphics, disk(s) etc.

The thought does occur that maybe the OS/2 Hardware Manager does not know about or understand the new parallel port: Set Hardware Manager to Full Detection at next boot - or every boot if you like - and then Reboot but enter the mainboard BIOS. Look for a setting like "Update ESCD" and set that to Enabled, save and exit BIOS setup, continue boot and see what happens.

Another thought is that maybe the mainboard is exceedingly new and expects an operating system to have ACPI support -  available with eCSv2.0; I suspect you will have to look there for USB support as well.

Hope the above helps

Pete

Dave Palmer

Pete, and others,
Please consider this topic removed and solved.

Somewhere my brain froze up on runoff and computer fumes. 

Having posted the original, I went back to the BIOS settings - One More Time - and set the parallel port to autodetect (which I'd done before) and also set the USB support to disable.

Of course it worked - and I guilty of complaining too soon.

Dave