• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

mplayer instructions

Started by John Armstrong, 2009.01.16, 19:25:51

Previous topic - Next topic

John Armstrong

In the helpful post by Robert Mauro on "installing streaming audio and video support in Firefox.." reference was made to a particular  version of the Win32 plugins found at http://www.7xx.org/komh/npmp_test.zip
However, that link is now broken.  Any advice on where to get that download now?

TIA  John

osw

Quote from: John Armstrong on 2009.01.16, 19:25:51
In the helpful post by Robert Mauro on "installing streaming audio and video support in Firefox.." reference was made to a particular  version of the Win32 plugins found at http://www.7xx.org/komh/npmp_test.zip
However, that link is now broken.  Any advice on where to get that download now?

TIA  John

Hi!
I think the plugin you mean is os/2 dll not a win32. The only thing that uses win32 api with mplayer for os/2 are
win32 codecs - actually the mplayer needs them very rarely - so you can don't bother with them.
And yes, the link is broken. I'm sure I have it (npmp_test.zip) tested... but frankly it does not work as expected... 

cheers

John Armstrong

Thanks for the reply.  The Mauro piece explicitly refers to the Win32 plugins and codecs, but based on your reply, I will proceed without them.   John

John Armstrong

Oops. Not only is the link broken to the Win32 stuff, but the same link is where what Mauto describes as the "WORKING Mozilla mplayer plugin" is to be found.  So I am very interested in getting the npmp_test.zip file.  Help appreciated.  Is there someone out there who can email it to me?   JOhn

RobertM

John,

You may wish to email KO Myung-Hun  at <komh (at) chollian.net> to see if the build of npmp_test.zip is still available (or if there is a new one).

(The content of that file are just the browser plugin. The Codecs are located in the Win32 codec package which can be found numerous places on the web.)

Failing that, I can try to dig it out for you. I havent had much success with the newer mPlayer builds and that DLL though - perhaps the DLL included in the package has been updated.

Paul Smedley may be able to shed a little more light on that subject.

Also, the instructions I assembled (much of the credit for their content goes to 4 others) are getting kinda dated. mPlayer plays most formats without the need for the Win32 plugins. The latest recommendations I have seen roughly say (paraphrased) "Try it without them, and if needed for certain formats, then install them"

HTH,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

CDRWSel

Hi !
the plugin is available here : http://www.os2site.com/sw/mmedia/video/mplayer/index.html
But mplayer didn't work too on my system (browser hung with message playing, that's all)
I installed SMplayer GUI for Mplayer. SMplayer start but is unable to play any video files !
(mplayer didn't start). I check under parameters and all are ok with correct path names.
Strange... 

Remy   

chennecke

Quote from: CDRWSel on 2009.01.17, 13:06:26
Hi !
the plugin is available here : http://www.os2site.com/sw/mmedia/video/mplayer/index.html
But mplayer didn't work too on my system (browser hung with message playing, that's all)
I installed SMplayer GUI for Mplayer. SMplayer start but is unable to play any video files !
(mplayer didn't start). I check under parameters and all are ok with correct path names.

What do POPUPLOG.OS2 and the SMPlayer/MPlayer logs say? You can access the logs via SMPlayer's options menu. Are you that you have all required packages?

MrJinx

1. Please make sure you are using the latest SMplayer build from ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/smplayer/smplayer-0.5.21-2008-11-24.wpi. Most items are fixed. toggling full screen works from hot keys but clicking the full screen icon acts up.
2. Besides the setup instructions for the web plugin, smplayer has instructions as well.
3. I'm using http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/video/players/mplayer-dev-SVN-r27724-OS2-4.3.2.zip
that has the latest version of the firefox plugin included.
4. sites that have java wrappers and protected content tricks in use will not work with the current plugin.
5. firefox 3.05 and later builds don't support the plug-in.

CDRWSel

Well,
In my case, I used lates package as you specified for SMplayer and Mplayer.
I followed all install step.
plugin was put into the plugin folder.
I did a test with PMW-FX and firefox at latest v2 version but only got the message about MPlayer starting and nothing more !
(no popup logged)
From SMplayer, I open a video file but nothing happens !
(Mplayer is never started while the path into setting is ok)
When I drag/drop a video file on Mplayer direcftly, it start play it.
Now, I just go to firefox 3.0.5 and like v2, it didn't work.
* I tried an older Mplayer version today but it gives the same result. plugin and use from SMplayer didn't work.
Remy

Tomas

Quote from: CDRWSel on 2009.01.17, 20:12:41
Well,
In my case, I used lates package as you specified for SMplayer and Mplayer.
I followed all install step.
plugin was put into the plugin folder.
I did a test with PMW-FX and firefox at latest v2 version but only got the message about MPlayer starting and nothing more !
(no popup logged)
From SMplayer, I open a video file but nothing happens !
(Mplayer is never started while the path into setting is ok)
When I drag/drop a video file on Mplayer direcftly, it start play it.
Now, I just go to firefox 3.0.5 and like v2, it didn't work.
* I tried an older Mplayer version today but it gives the same result. plugin and use from SMplayer didn't work.
Remy

Hi Remy,

if Mplayer works, then its an easy way to get SMPlayer work.
If give you my Options, maybe it helps...

mplayerfile: C:/PROGRAMS/MM/mplayer/mplayer.exe

On General - Video: kva:dive on Audio: dart

Best Regards

Tomas