• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Japanese 'Text'

Started by David McKenna, 2009.01.24, 21:48:25

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKenna

I was going to try installing an old multimedia I/O service called 'Wavemix' I found that was created by Team MMOS/2 Tokyo. Inside the archive is a 'readme' file that contains stuff like:

âEâGü[âuüEâ~âbâNâXüEéléléhénègÆúâTü[ârâX

âEâGü[âuìçɼé­û│î└ÆÀé╠âEâGü[âuâtâ@âCâïéãéÁé─ĵéÞêÁéóé▄éÀüB.

I'm guessing it is Japanese, but because my codepage is English it does not display the Japanese characters. I tried different fonts with no luck.

Does anyone know how I could get this to display the proper characters? If I could get them to display, then I would have a chance at translating it (using babelfish or google translate).

Dave McKenna

lewhoo

You can always try to open in mozilla/firefox and play with codepages.

David McKenna

Thanks for the tip... after trying a bunch of encodings (in SeaMonkey under 'View'>'Character Encoding' ) some of the UniCode ones (UTF-16) showed what looked like Japanese characters, but they did not translate into anything but themselves (at http://www.google.com/translate). One of the Japanese encodings (Shift_JIS) showed mostly blank space, but I could hilite many lines of blank spaces, so I copied them. When I pasted this into the 'Translate' window at Google Translate Japanese script magically appeared! It also translated into English - but unfortunately didn't make a whole lot of sense.... at least not what I was hoping (like installation instructions).

Dave McKenna

zircon

Quote from: David McKenna on 2009.01.24, 21:48:25
  I was going to try installing an old multimedia I/O service called 'Wavemix' I found that was created by Team MMOS/2 Tokyo.

If it's important, send the readme to me and I'll take a look.