• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Firefox 3.0.5 and SeaMonkey 1.1.14 released

Started by djcaetano, 2009.01.27, 19:36:19

Previous topic - Next topic

djcaetano

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/18644/1/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Sunday, 21 December 2008

Firefox . .. .

Anyone knows the status of direct printing? It was disabled since FF3.0 came out ...

Bill

I have just tried direct print on 3.0.5 and it still does not work. :(

regards, Bill

RobertM

Hey Bill,

Nor does it seem likely in the near future:

From the ReadMe
- Printing to normal OS/2 printer queues had to be disabled. It was slow even
  for simple pages and used huge amounts of RAM, so that in most cases the
  application crashed, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415522.
  While the queues are still displayed in the printing dialog, any printing
  operation will instead create a PDF file. By default this file is placed on
  the Desktop, with the name Firefox_<date>_<time>.pdf, where <date> and
  <time> are replaced by the current system time. If you want to use another
  name, select "Print to file" before pressing the Print button.
  The resulting PDF file can be printed using applications like Lucide, Acrobat
  Reader, or GSview.

On a side note, for some reason, OS/2 FF3 creates more accurate PDFs of certain pages for me than Win FF3 prints.

-Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Bill

Thanks Rob.   I was using the facility to send to a named *.pdf file, but had not spotted the point about creating them on the desk top.  Useful info all round, for which my thanks

regards,  Bill

ivan

As an aside, does anyone know the incantation to to stop 3.0.5 from thrashing the hard disk?

I am assuming it has something to do with live bookmarks or sqlite clean up.  If it is, there must be some way to stop it running every 20 seconds when the browser is open.  If not then I stay with 2.0.0.17.

Ben

Quote from: ivan on 2009.02.07, 14:43:41
As an aside, does anyone know the incantation to to stop 3.0.5 from thrashing the hard disk?

I am assuming it has something to do with live bookmarks or sqlite clean up.  If it is, there must be some way to stop it running every 20 seconds when the browser is open.  If not then I stay with 2.0.0.17.

Greetings, Ivan.

Unfortunately, I have no solution to offer, but I do share in your concern.

The SQL Lite integration with Firefox 3 is a highly curious decision with respect to the Mozilla development community. All it really achieves is the creation of a fantastic database of all that you have done, bringing with it a few pathetic enhancements, (of questionable benefit), thrown in to justify its inclusion.

This disk-thrashing, WPS-holding, addition is such a resource consuming sadist, that the only way I can/could use Firefox 3 is/was to constantly delete these HUGH SQL files that Firefox keeps creating... several of them were over 50 meg.

BTW... keeping the bookmark file trimmed helps too.

But it is easy, (at least for me), to see why Firefox is being steered this way... and should be for most users too... particularly those who have read my past posts.

For me, the latest incarnation of Firefox 2.* is where I"ll stay, and to be honest with you, even that has become a dog with its abuse of memory and its regular crashes... whenever it has been up a little while... with a few tabs opened... and its hair let down... though it is, in truth, a prude...

I often consider dropping back a few generations, (or even going as far back as a Firefox 1 version), to keep the frustration level down.

In fact, I think I'm going to do just that, for I do not remember that browser being a dog... rather a playful pup.

I'd appreciate any insights that you, (or anyone else), gain into this situation.

Other than that...

... good luck with it.

RobertM

I've got my Firefox 1.5 install still running on my notebook, and use a combination of FF2 and FF3 on my desktops (OS/2 and Win) at work (need to use both for testing).

I havent noticed the disk thrashing on my OS/2 machine - but only have FF3 installed on two machines (and one is still the beta). On one machine, being the server, I wouldnt notice it. On the other (the non-beta version), it is installed on my JFS partition with a 64MB cache.

It could also be my surfing habits... I surf a lot of pages - but they are generally a lot of the same pages/places.

My bookmarks file is massive - but again, as I rarely surf anyplace different, that may become irrelevant. I usually open the browser to the same tabs every time, and surf the same sites every time.

-Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

jep

Hmm, interserting that you use FF2 and FF3 as they all seem to be very resource hungry and crash.
Would it be better if we had another db-engine instead that would handle the data?

Have you noticed that FF take alot more resources if you let it load X tabs after a crash or lockup than if you open them by hand and go to each page.

I don't have a problem with it creating the Minefield_*.pdf-files on my desktop, it'll taken care of it as soon as we get CUPS.

//Jan-Erik

________
FF3.1 is supposed to use more of Cairo and don't need the additions for font rendering (antialiasing fonts) it feels more stable to me. It can have to do with the fact that I've put in more memory (total 1Gb, but that's not much) in the old computer and only load 10-15 tabs at the time. Note that pages that contain several embedded flash thiniges may cause it to lock up or simply close the browser.

RobertM

Quote from: jep on 2009.02.16, 15:11:33
Hmm, interserting that you use FF2 and FF3 as they all seem to be very resource hungry and crash.

I need to use both for web testing. FF3 is a little stricter in it's interpretation of certain "display" parameters for forms, tables, and CSS.

Would it be better if we had another db-engine instead that would handle the data?

Have you noticed that FF take alot more resources if you let it load X tabs after a crash or lockup than if you open them by hand and go to each page.

I havent actually paid much attention to that...

I don't have a problem with it creating the Minefield_*.pdf-files on my desktop, it'll taken care of it as soon as we get CUPS.

//Jan-Erik

Will be nice. I'd be happy if the output could be re-routed someplace else, or if Lucide supported an automagic  print function so that the output could be directed to Lucide with that print option enabled.

_______
FF3.1 is supposed to use more of Cairo and don't need the additions for font rendering (antialiasing fonts) it feels more stable to me. It can have to do with the fact that I've put in more memory (total 1Gb, but that's not much) in the old computer and only load 10-15 tabs at the time. Note that pages that contain several embedded flash thiniges may cause it to lock up or simply close the browser.

Will prolly start playing with the beta sometime in the near future...

-R

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|