• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

VLC Player for OS/2

Started by WarpWorld, 2009.02.14, 11:59:05

Previous topic - Next topic

obiwan

Quote from: RobertM on 2009.02.19, 17:12:10
No... it really doesnt. There are settable parameters in either smPlayer or mPlayer to help with that. Fixing those will resolve the issue.

There were multiple issues, not just one, and the fix for all of them, in the end, was to install VLC. That was easier than figuring out whatever the parameters needed to be. An application that sets itself up correctly without intervention is by that fact more polished, and preferable to work with.

ivan

osw said
Quotewell, you must doing something awfuly wrong there... mplayer with proper settings in config does all job like a charm - I do prefer vanila guiless mplayer over smplayer which is what happens when porting qt to wps... a disaster - so my advice is RTFM...
I am trying to RTFM - the only problem is that there is no FM!  Also you must have missed what I said - it starts and plays the dvd for a short time then stops - it can be made to play some more for a time that is variable but after the first ten minutes I just give up trying to make it work.  Maybe you would like to post your settings that make it work like a charm (and also what hardware you are using).

obiwan is correct in saying
QuoteAn application that sets itself up correctly without intervention is by that fact more polished, and preferable to work with.

Rob Claessen

Here is the FM for mplayer, its about 100 pages or so ?

The configfile I use with mplayer, which works fine for me is:

# Write your default config options here!
##
## MPlayer input control file
##
nocache=1
user-agent=NSPlayer/4.1.0.3856
vo=kva:dive
autosync=90
sid=16
slang=1
ni=1

Not sure where that user-agent thingy came from, but it seems to do the job, at least it doesn't hurt.

You also need to tell OS/2 where to find mplayer in the config.sys, specially if you want the Mozilla plugin to work :

SET MPLAYER_PATH=X:\Applications\Mplayer\mplayer.exe
SET MPLAYER_HOME=X:\HOME\DEFAULT\.mplayer
Rob Claessen

osw

Quote from: ivan on 2009.02.20, 12:58:44
osw said
Quotewell, you must doing something awfuly wrong there... mplayer with proper settings in config does all job like a charm - I do prefer vanila guiless mplayer over smplayer which is what happens when porting qt to wps... a disaster - so my advice is RTFM...
I am trying to RTFM - the only problem is that there is no FM!  Also you must have missed what I said - it starts and plays the dvd for a short time then stops - it can be made to play some more for a time that is variable but after the first ten minutes I just give up trying to make it work.  Maybe you would like to post your settings that make it work like a charm (and also what hardware you are using).

obiwan is correct in saying
QuoteAn application that sets itself up correctly without intervention is by that fact more polished, and preferable to work with.

Hi!
Here is TFM - http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/index.html - happy time reading...;)
Also I must admit - playing dvd's with mplayer is somewhat crappy (perhaps it's time for me to RTFM again ;) ) - but I did short investigation and it does work under smplayer - when dvd structure is chosen from directories - then you can see list of all chapters and I did open some to see what happens after 1m 48s ..;) - so it did play entire chapter 16m long... that way you can watch dvd's with mplayer (but it's not as convenient as simple putting dvd into drive and waiting for autostart - that's right - or clicking fancy buttons)

Here is my <boot drive>:\home\default\.mplayer\config :

ao=dart
vo=kva:snap
pp=6
#double=yes
font=arial.ttf
subfont-text-scale=4
subcp=cp1250
vf=screenshot=pp=de,hqdn3d=lavcdeint=denoise3d:4:3:6
#aspect=4:3
#aspect=16:9
subfont-encoding=unicode
sub-no-text-pp=1
#noidx=1
# Settings for stream/file caching
cache=8192
cache-min=30
#vf=expand=0:-90:0:0
# Setting for Browser User Agent response
user-agent=NSPlayer/4.1.0.3856
colorkey=0x000001

well in addition to that there is arial.ttf in the same directory
and enabled freetype2 via. ft2gui2 for mplayer.exe - to have nice antialiased fonts

my hardware is:
singlecore celeron 2.2 ghz (nortwood) on MSI 845PE MAX with 768 MB of DDR1 RAM
soundcard is sblive 5.1 (emu101)
graphics card is sapphire radeon 9600 PRO Atlantis with 128 MB RAM on 128-bit bus (identified by SNAP as 9600 XT...)
mouse is  logitech on usb under amouse driver

my software is:
operating system is ECS 2.0 rc5
smp os/4 kernel (experimental one) with acpi(3.14)  - /smp /apic /cd switches
Snap build is 505 - and it drives 23'' samsung (sm2343bw) lcd panel with native resolution 2048 * 1152 on DVI cable
sblive driver is native one 0.82 beta - smp ready
mplayer build is mplayer-dev-SVN-r27724-OS2-4.3.2

as you can see there is no fancy hardware or unusual soft here and yes "everything" works like a charm for me - except DVD's ;) - but it's something I did realize today ;) frankly never needed play them from pc - standalone dvd player (cost ~ 25 euro...) is getting more and more dust here on rack - only expierience with dvd's I got are constant glitches with scratched discs... and that's why prefer anything else what is not structured like mpegs2/4 spread on 4.7 GB in 900MB chunks... but of course it's only my opinion and I do agree that inconvenient way, mplayer plays dvd's is it's disadvantage - if vlc is smooth on that, that's for sure another good reason to port it to os/2 (beside possibility to compare them on warp like apples to apples...)

another disadvantage which I found (for your information) is fact that in such config, mplayer is bit to slow to play hd.wmv movies (720p) - so I play them with kmp.exe - K Movie Player is let's call it "custom build of mplayer (?)" -
made by KO Myung-Hun - and being based on mplayer - is somehow optimized on speed and less hungry for MHz's, so it can play such movies smoothly unfortunately my system is really to slow  :( to process fullHD movies (1080p) but again I did only checked that wmv's - so it might be that other formats will produce different effects.

ps. I'm not quite sure if eventual port of vlc/2 (cute name ;)) will resolve buggy dvd support as it sports libdvdcss library - and that is what do response for dvd part of player - mplayer is using it also (dvdcss.dll under os/2)- so you should expect similar problems with vlc/2 unless you improve os/2 port of libdvdcss somehow... - it will resolve mplayer issues too ;))

cheers

ivan

Thank you both Rob and osw.  Now I need the tome to copy the manual pages to local HD  then turn the html into a pdf file for future reference.

I assume the autostart you mentioned osw is some windows thing as I've never seen any autostart of dvds on OS/2.  Another thing, I am using OS/2 not eCs - maybe that is part of the problem.  My only use would be to play dvds or the odd avi - I too have a stand alone dvd player but my monitor is larger than the TV so dvds are now watched via the computer hence my frustration with mplayer.

Saijin_Naib

You are going to be hard-pressed to play back any true HD video over 720p without some hardware acceleration, or even something as simple as hardware overlay. If you are lucky enough to have your graphics chipset supported by SNAP you may get some help there, if not, true HD is going to be a bit slow.

osw

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.02.20, 20:17:14
You are going to be hard-pressed to play back any true HD video over 720p without some hardware acceleration, or even something as simple as hardware overlay. If you are lucky enough to have your graphics chipset supported by SNAP you may get some help there, if not, true HD is going to be a bit slow.

Hi!
Well, actually my graphics (radeon 9600pro) is among best SNAP supported chipsets, it's a bit dated but has dvi output and native lcd panel programming - in fact only radeon chipsets gives you all features of snap (acceleration, tv output support, mixed multihead mode (crt+dfp), snap hardware overlay support, zooming) -  SNAP hardware overlay is in use here (what is stated in mplayer config -  vo=kva:snap) also KMP does use snapwrap.dll - so as you can see I'm using full features set of snap driver... - and as a long time warp user  I've learn to pick hardware in os/2 in mind... so that's why I can be lucky now ;) - not a big deal really.

Anyway, I'm watching now 1280*720 movies with no problems with kmp but not mplayer, and cpu usage
is 60 - 80 %, so there is still some horsepower to run vbox/2 with xp2sp2 on one of three virtual screens (xpager) and still have healthy fully operational quick responsing system next to it (not to mention firefox 3.2alpha running here as well).
But trying 1920*1080 movies brings me 98% of cpu usage and slowed down playback  despite snap overlay and snap acceleration active. I think weak cpu is bottleneck in this case.

ps. Before snap introduced overlay support I used warpoverlay with geforce2mx400 (it also did a great job). So I'm not talking here about playing anything via DIVE as it's really hard to expect good effects with it even on multicores.

cheers

Saijin_Naib

I want to clarify myself on a previous post and say that if you want to get technical, VLC can be considered a front-end to Mplayer because VLC and Mplayer are both heavily reliant upon FFMPEG, the core playback technology behind Mplayer and VLC. In fact, Mplayer is almost entirely comprised of FFMPEG code and many of the FFMPEG team are Mplayer developers. So yes, it may not be rigorously true that VLC is just a Mplayer front-end, but my statement is not entirely wrong either.

OSW, what is your CPU? I don't recall reading what it was.

osw

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.02.22, 21:00:04

OSW, what is your CPU? I don't recall reading what it was.

Hi!
It's a singlecore Intel Celeron 2.2 GHz (Nortwood).

Saijin_Naib

Okay, I have a single core Northwood 3.06ghz with HT, but HD Is not significantly much easier here. I'd suggest a Core2Duo or a Corei7.

RobertM

Quote from: obiwan on 2009.02.20, 00:57:08
Quote from: RobertM on 2009.02.19, 17:12:10
No... it really doesnt. There are settable parameters in either smPlayer or mPlayer to help with that. Fixing those will resolve the issue.

There were multiple issues, not just one, and the fix for all of them, in the end, was to install VLC. That was easier than figuring out whatever the parameters needed to be. An application that sets itself up correctly without intervention is by that fact more polished, and preferable to work with.

Agreed - hence the point I was trying to make in one of my posts is that what is needed is an installer or run-time procedure that fine tunes those specs to the hardware involved - since we do not have VLC player for OS/2 that is.  ;)

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Quote from: osw on 2009.02.19, 20:18:53

Back to your discoveries - I didn't know VLC is gui-front end for mplayer, and what is more funny guys who work on VLC don't know it either... (they must be wrong of course, claimming it's their project - bad french guys ;) ) but guys from mplayer (hungarian good guys ;)

Oh... they know it - it's a mix of ffMPEG stuff (and the related codec packages used in ffMPEG) and their own stuff.

From Wikipedia:
"Many of VLC's codecs are provided by the libavcodec library from the FFmpeg project, but it uses mainly its own muxer and demuxers."

The last part of the claim on Wikipedia is a somewhat recent change (ie: "mainly").

Looking at VLC's page, you will see a list of the ffMPEG project's codecs as being used (with some mention of the ffMPEG portions). For example:

From the VLC Pages:
QuoteWMV-3 / WMV-9 / VC-1 playback is provided through the FFmpeg-library starting with VLC 0.8.6.

Real Audio playback is provided through the FFmpeg-library which does only support a limited number of RA derivatives.

And other related libraries:
QuoteDVD decryption is done through the libdvdcss library.

VLC on GNU/Linux, Solaris, and Microsoft Windows has playback control support via libcdio and libvcdinfo.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|