• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

VLC Player for OS/2

Started by WarpWorld, 2009.02.14, 11:59:05

Previous topic - Next topic

WarpWorld

I suggest to you,to our forum (members,moderators,administrators) to start petition for producing VLC Player for eComStation...That player excisted for some dead systems as BeOS  ::) ,but not for our eCS.We must change it ;)

chennecke

I see two issues:

• VLC Player requires WxWidgets, and that library has not been fully ported to OS/2.
  • We already have a working SMPlayer/MPlayer based on Qt3. I'd rather see development time spent on getting Qt4 ported to OS/2 as that would also enable developers to port the latest versions of SMPlayer, LyX and number of other very interesting apps.

RobertM

Hi,

I agree that efforts should be directed at continued work on SMPlayer/QT4. The back end stuff for both (VLC and mPlayer) is still based off ffMPEG, so with a working and maintainable smPlayer, there is no reason for splitting that effort to get VLC Player working. The GUI is the only advantage VLC Player has over mPlayer - which is something that smPlayer takes care of.

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

I find SMPLayer to be more powerful than VLC in many cases. Hell, it even will auto-fetch Subtitle files for movies which is fantastic because it makes it easy for me to watch stuff with my Hard of hearing friend.

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.02.15, 00:10:27
I find SMPLayer to be more powerful than VLC in many cases. Hell, it even will auto-fetch Subtitle files for movies which is fantastic because it makes it easy for me to watch stuff with my Hard of hearing friend.

Oh - wow! That was not a feature I had previously found... thanks Saijin Naib!

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

NP Rob. The SMPlayer team has the goal to make it a very feature rich app that not only can do advanced playback but transcoding and possibly editing/splitting as well. I'd keep an eye out on that and make sure we keep up with SMPlayer because these capabilities are rather lacking on the OS/2 platform and this one target may fill that gap.

RobertM

Regarding smPlayer, there is a new build of the 521 version at Netlabs (Jan 23, 2009) - in WPI format:
ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/smplayer/

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

obiwan

I just did some testing with VLC vs. mplayer vs. ogle on a couple different Linux systems. Different hardware, different distros, with only DVD playback, using several new discs. Mplayer and ogle showed some annoying problems with timing and video quality on both systems, while VLC had no problems, and video quality was superb.

Given this, I wish I had time to see about porting VLC. It's true the GUI needs wxWidgets, but the video playback itself just uses SDL, so if the wxWidgets interface really won't work it isn't necessarily a show-stopper. I think if my only experience with mplayer were on /2, I would think it was the OS causing the problems, which is not the case.

Maybe later.

Saijin_Naib

They all use the same backend which is mplayer or ffmpeg. I don't see any reason for sync issues unless you didnt set a parameter correct such as cache size etc.

obiwan

Ogle doesn't have a cache setting. No setting made any difference to some of the problems (e.g. being unable to find which feature on the disk is the movie). Even if what you are saying applies, it means the difference between a clunky player and a polished one, since VLC worked perfectly every time.

ivan

I have to say that I find mplayer is a dead loss on any of the OS/2 machines here.  The longest it has played any dvd is 1 minute 48 seconds.  If I want more I must fiddle with it and then maybe it will play a little more.  To watch dvds I run VLC on a cut down linux in vbox - without any problems!

I am not a programmer or I would try porting it as well as Deluge for bitTorent.

I would say to those that have mplayer or mplayer/smplayer working well - not just working - PLEASE give me the full incantation that you use and on what hardware.  That way I might be able to get it working here.

***** My apologies, it is not vbox but virtualPC in the first paragraph. That's what you get when you think of two things and try and listen to a conversation at the same time!

Another thing, has anyone got sound to work in vbox on OS/2?

RobertM

Quote from: obiwan on 2009.02.19, 09:04:25
Ogle doesn't have a cache setting. No setting made any difference to some of the problems (e.g. being unable to find which feature on the disk is the movie). Even if what you are saying applies, it means the difference between a clunky player and a polished one, since VLC worked perfectly every time.

No... it really doesnt. There are settable parameters in either smPlayer or mPlayer to help with that. Fixing those will resolve the issue.

On my system, smPlayer does better than mPlayer alone (odd, huh?) It's all about the config setup.

So, it just means the others need something a little better to tune themselves based off hardware. That should be easy enough since mPlayer reads that info on start.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

osw

Quote from: ivan on 2009.02.19, 12:56:41
I have to say that I find mplayer is a dead loss on any of the OS/2 machines here.  The longest it has played any dvd is 1 minute 48 seconds.  If I want more I must fiddle with it and then maybe it will play a little more.  To watch dvds I run VLC on a cut down linux in vbox - without any problems!

I am not a programmer or I would try porting it as well as Deluge for bitTorent.

I would say to those that have mplayer or mplayer/smplayer working well - not just working - PLEASE give me the full incantation that you use and on what hardware.  That way I might be able to get it working here.

***** My apologies, it is not vbox but virtualPC in the first paragraph. That's what you get when you think of two things and try and listen to a conversation at the same time!

Another thing, has anyone got sound to work in vbox on OS/2?

HI!
well, you must doing something awfuly wrong there... mplayer with proper settings in config does all job like a charm - I do prefer vanila guiless mplayer over smplayer which is what happens when porting qt to wps... a disaster - so my advice is RTFM...
As for sound in vbox... once you do RTFM - you will know that vbox ose (open source edition) for os/2 does not produce sound at all... so I can say wonderfull vlc does work for you without any problem on linux in vbox/2, without sound too.... - so thanks I'll stay with mplayer for now...

I did some tests with vlc on windoze and... i stay with mplayer on windoze too...
Why? So one of the first movies I got via torrent did refuse to work with vlc - demanding (sic!) some codecs to install first... something I never expirienced with mplayer... and I've use to not even check the formats of downloaded movies as I'm sure that "every" will be playable by mplayer - natively or via wrapped codecs... frankly I did not install them yet, never needed them.
Once vlc start to behave as solid as mplayer I will use it too... but for now it is more fashionable but not better in doing it's job - playing videos.
It's common now to hear, especially from lamers on net :"VLC is cool, it is the best" Yeah, but when you ask if they ever used mplayer, they use to answer "Windows Media Player is shit" ... so it gives you some impression about popularity of both. VLC makes every lamer an expert - Mplayer is for experts. Not really user friendly - but frankly, is config.sys of os/2 user friendly?

cheers

Saijin_Naib

Clearly you are an expert as well, because you obviously know that VLC is just a GUI front-end to Mplayer which you love so much  ::)

osw

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.02.19, 19:42:15
Clearly you are an expert as well, because you obviously know that VLC is just a GUI front-end to Mplayer which you love so much  ::)

I'm not sure if your post was pointed at me... but I do assume it.
So, I never told I'm an expert... just happy mplayer user. If my happiness makes me expert? Well I'm about to belive that reading posts of people who  found mplayer useless... and they consider vlc better despite the fact
there is no port of vlc for os/2 yet (isn't this topic about porting it? and isn't that forum about os/2)
So what makes me worry about whole disscussion is that some guys try to translate their experiences with mplayer or vlc from other platforms (linux, or like me windoze) forgetting about such factors like sound drivers (alsa vs. oss on linux) or graphics backend (to much to mention) and comes to conclusion that mplayer is weak, crappy, not working and so... - so I did test on vlc and came with similar conclusions about VLC - based on my windoze experience... for me it's worse than mplayer there...
So still I've higher ground - as mplayer for os/2 do exists - and VLC don't. Calling mplayer an app for experts was bit ironic (sorry if you didn't get it) - it's being expert same way as editing config.sys for os/2... - hard to survive on warp without that rare skill... (excuse me - ironical again)

Back to your discoveries - I didn't know VLC is gui-front end for mplayer, and what is more funny guys who work on VLC don't know it either... (they must be wrong of course, claimming it's their project - bad french guys ;) ) but guys from mplayer (hungarian good guys ;) ) did mention vlc as app that reuses the software scaler code from MPlayer so there are some connections indeed (some crucial parts from mplayer are needed to run vlc) ... but not the one you tell, vlc is not gui front end for mplayer. Smplayer is.

You must not be an expert to use mplayer nor to google things.