• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS v2.0 Presentation at Open Source event

Started by kim, 2008.11.16, 16:10:49

Previous topic - Next topic

kim

While I wasn't able to participate in this years Warpstock Europe I manage at least to make a one hour presentation at a local Open Source event here in Malmö, Sweden for a bunch of BSD, Linux and OSX people which I guess was quite impressed with what they saw of eCS. Quite a few did also ask for LiveCD or demo code to install to try it out a bit more for themself. Quite nice also that the youngest people at the presentation had never heard of OS/2 - way before pre-school and kinder garden era - and still very impressed with that they saw and for how long this technology has been available.

But, nice to get that such positive feedback as I did.

jep

Great Kim!

Can you show us some of the presentation info you talked about?!

//Jan-Erik

melf

/Mikael

kim

Well, I want to clean it up a bit more before posting it since I made this slides the evening before, so improving it might be a good idea and as well, maybe make it in English. I'll get back on this one.

miturbide

I always complain that everytime that someone makes a public presentation about OS/2, nobody video tape it and post it to youtube.... so I will like to complain again  ;)

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

ivan

Another thing to add would be the text of the presentation.  A series of slides by themselves tell nothing!

I have looked at what is available on the warpstock eu site and downloaded what it says are presentations, nice pictures but NO information!  One in particular about genmac looked interesting but was just frustrating.  So there is a way of using genmac with non-included drivers - at least a picture says so but there is NO information on how to do it but I assume that was given by the presenter along with the slide.

Pete

Hi ivan

Just had a quick look at the genmac pdf. It does look more like a collection of presentation "prompt" sheets - but I suspect that is exactly what it is meant to be. Obviously to get the full benefit you would need to be taking notes at the presentation  :-)

Looks like you need the Registry info and nic PCI ID details - and some idea of what exactly to edit in a nif file to make the nif work for the nic involved. I do not have a need for genmac so have not looked into this further myself - maybe that is a pleasure to come when I next update hardware  :-)

Regards

Pete

ivan

Hi Pete,

I worked out most of what you did but the missing item is how many chicken entrails you have to use.

Joking aside, over 40+ years as an engineer I've given many presentations and always made available all diagrams and my notes to those that want them.  I doubt the presentations at warpstock are given off the cuff without notes.  I would also assume that each presentation would be recorded (all mine have been) so it should be possible to have full notes of each presentation.

My interest in the genmac driver stems from having a notebook with a nVida chipset for the wired nic and a broadcom wifi card (neither of which are in the standard genmac drivers).  I have been able to use the naveth driver by nikk for the wired nic but wifi would be more useful.

Sigurd

?

Quote from: ivan on 2008.11.25, 22:29:54
Another thing to add would be the text of the presentation.  A series of slides by themselves tell nothing!

I have looked at what is available on the warpstock eu site and downloaded what it says are presentations,

.......Hi, I am one of those you call "nice pictures - no information!" - That sounds really great in the ears of those, who spent hours to prepare and to collect informations to make these presentations, while the only return for your services is "Blame". For myself I can say : I was really really dog-tired of watching presentations that contained ONLY informations and nothing to take a look on. Only sentences and sentences without any visual side effect. For me it was the first time to prepare such a presentations related to an IT project, but I thought: we have a lot of Text and explanations on the web, but if you try to get something visual, even something not ten years old, about OS/2 or eComStation you will find -....
You may send me an example of How presentations (that is worthy to be called a presentation in your eyes) should look like. It is my opinion that learning is a long life process. Because my English is not as good as it ought to be I might misunderstood your intention, but your post for me did not sound like criticism. It sounds like justs complaining, and that leads me to one question: why should I ever spent so much time and work for such a presentation (or the You tube videos and so on...) once again?
By the way, most of the attenders feedback at Warpstock has been very positiv.

Sigurd

nice pictures but NO information!  One in particular about genmac looked interesting but was just frustrating.  So there is a way of using genmac with non-included drivers - at least a picture says so but there is NO information on how to do it but I assume that was given by the presenter along with the slide.

ivan

Sigurd,

My complaint is about the fact that the presentations I downloaded  from the warpstock eu site were JUST the presentation slides - they did NOT have any of the text the presenter must have spent hours preparing.  As you have found BOTH text and visuals are required to make a meaningful presentation.  The slides on their own do not convey what the person presenting them said, the text alone says what was said but not how it was done.  Combine the two and you have a presentation that can be passed on to those that were unable to be there at the time of the original presentation - one in which they can follow the thoughts of the presenter and understand what he was saying.

If there is any 'blame' to be applied it is towards those that dilute the presentation by only putting part of it on the web.  I know the amount of work that is required to prepare a good presentation and think that work should be valued in full by having all of it available, if that is what he who prepared it wants.  That way we add to the total of our knowledge.

I have downloaded the videos from hobbes - they are very good.  If they are your first attempt then excellent work, but even there it could be better with some speech saying what you were doing, especially for those that do not know OS/2.  Please do not think I am being critical just for the sake of being critical - I am not.  That statement comes from the comments of some people I have shown the videos to, which were 'what is he doing?' and 'why do that?' which again points out that we need both sound (or text) and visuals.

As you have found just text can be very boring, just pictures and there grows a vast army of 'experts' that try and 'interpret' what they mean - just look at the art world.

Your videos are a step in the right direction in this day and age of visual consumption but people expect to be spoon fed the information in small doses.  I know the amount of work that goes int producing a video having worked for 30 odd years in the film and TV equipment manufacturing industry as a consultant engineer and admire your effort and hope you will build on what you have started.

regards

Ivan

warpcafe

Hi all,

well the same applies for myself: (Software Testing Basics session at WSE)

I had my slides being prepared as a collection of keypoints and facts.
The way "how" and "from what" these facts are derived I did verbally during my presentation.
I know there is a way of including "notes" to slides so you can hand-out the slides along with more information, but not all software makes this possible: I'm using OOO which (I assume) can do this. Other speakers use word-processors printing to PDFs (which can handle that too however with considerable additional amoutn of work) and others have their stuff done with LaTeX Beamer (dunno about its capabilities with regards to notes).

The problem is:
- At WSE we're lucky that we have speakers at all
- we cannot force them to go into specific requirements regarding their material
- they might not do it due to the additional effort

It's one thing to have perfect stuff at work (I do it too) but all speakers are doing this during their spare time. Also, some people will tell you that if you want the "fully monty" you'll simply would have to come and attend. ;)

On a side-note: Everybody who is savvy about "slides" will tell you that what you have in there should not be 100% the same as what you say 'cos you'll be boring your audience by reading out loud what is written. So a professional presentation will almost never be understandable by its slides "only".
Thus you need "more" written stuff likes notes/comments. -> Additional work.

Besides that, I was asked to do a video recording of my (possible all other) sessions at Dusseldorf.
And - yes - I would have liked that idea. People also told that they would be willing to actually BUY a CD or DVD with the session videos. Okay. Noted. The problem here is: Manpower.
It's not about where to dig out a camera or how to do live streaming etc. or editing the stuff. The real question and problem as usual is: WHO is doing it.
The organizers and helping hands have more than enough to do and take care about before, during and after the events. The "helping hands" are overcommitting themselves to support the events. Would you like to tell them they cannot attend one singe session because besides the registration and technical things they also must take care of recording sessions?

I would really haved loved to make recordings. But we simply did not have the time and people to do it (not talking about the equipment). If someone wants to do that - come over for the next WSE and do it. Everybody would enjoy this. It's just too much work for the people we have.

I also had thought about the alternative to do an extensive version of my slides for offline audience and one stripped-down for the actual run of the presentation... but... hey, besides having to hide from my private life (yes, there is one) for another couple of hours on top... if we do this, people will decide NOT to come to Warpstocks anymore because everything is available afterwards anyway.

I invite everyone who has questions regarding my slides / presentation / session to simply ask me. I'm sure that for instance Sigurd also feels the same and would be glad to see people being interested... anyway:
We (at WSE) know that we could do better... but we simply are lacking the people.

Regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

abwillis

Thomas has put it very well.  My own presentations at Warpstock have had minimal slides as a general rule.  This year had more than the norm and should be available but often my slides are more for specific points of reference for queues to me (or reminders if someone saw the presentation) if I have slides at all as sometimes I've instead shown real time examples.