• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

How to change "pre-WPS" background?

Started by warpcafe, 2009.02.25, 16:37:03

Previous topic - Next topic

warpcafe

Hi all,

now that the big problems with my newi nstall are solved (thanks again to pasha, Eugene, netlabs...) I'm now progressing towards the minor things.
One of them is the question how to change the background screen color used by the system before the WPS is up.
I checked various system setup properties and also within the registry, however nothing "obvious" was found.
Can someone tell me where to change this?
(Perhaps I simply missed on opening the eyes in regedit2... as usual? ;) )

TIA
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Pete

Hi Thomas

Looks like it is in the os2.ini file, Application: PM_Colors, Key: Background, give it 3 groups of valid RGB values (0 - 255) separated by a space eg 74 122 150 (current eCS2.0RC6a Blue background colour).

Hope that helps

Pete

ivan

Hi Thomas,

As Pete says it should be in os2.ini assuming you are not talking about the black background to the scrolling load information you get with alt/f2.  If that's the one then you are dead in the water short of some hacking into os/2 base files.

Another thing, I've found iniedit to be far superior to regedit/2 when dealing with the binary ini files

ivan

Barbara

Right click on Desktop->Properties->Background, unselect 'color only' and change your color  ::)
Barbara.

Barbara

warpcafe

Hi Barbara,

thanks for pointing me out how to change the WPS desktop background color. I knew that. :)
I was talking about the desktop background color that is used BEFORE the WPS comes up, which cannot be set via the WPS properties.

BTW @others:
Pete was right and it worked. It's located under HINI_USER_PROFILE\PM_COLORS:Background. (At least that what regedit2 names it :) ). The reason I didn't see it in the beginning is that I didn't expect the "pre-WPS" settings to be persisted in the "user-related" part. This is somehow weird from a "philosophical" point of view, as user-related settings in my mind would only apply once the WPS (or - the "user"-specific flavor of the WPS) is loaded and everything up to before that point (non-specific or "global" settings) would be stored in the "system" tree... however -sigh- it's not the only thing that OS/2 lacks in matters of multiuser "profile" management... anyway: It worked, thanks Pete!

Regards,
Thomas
"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
By definition, there are already enough people to do that"
- G.H. Hardy

Pete

Hi Thomas

Well, the Desktop needs to be told somehow exactly what colour to paint the Background if there is no image file (bitmap/jpg) selected as a Desktop Background and the user ini file - whether single or multi user system - looks like the obvious place to store that to me. Sorry to argue...  :-)

It is not really a "pre-WPS" setting either - just a "pre Desktop Background Image"  :-)

However, if you want to change the Desktop Background colour prior to loading the Desktop - by running a cmd file from config.sys? - then that seems to be the setting to change.

Regards

Pete

RobertM

The WPS will use the background color (as set in it's properties notebook) prior to loading the background image.

For instance, set your wps background to a color of your choice... THEN set your background to an image. The color is used for the initial load until the background is displayed.

The above does NOT work with various WPS extenders though.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|