• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Linksys WPC54G

Started by mustangzach, 2009.03.27, 02:51:15

Previous topic - Next topic

mustangzach

Is there any way to get it to work?

It works under Linux, you must use a driver wrapper. I'm assuming you can do the same here, seeing the lights light up, yet it doesn't show up in the WLAN app.

What driver do you use?

FYI, it used bcm43xx drivers with Linux, and from what I've read OSX. Does it work in OS/2?

So yeah.. thanks in advance.  :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm running eComStation 2 RC5.

-Z

RobertM

Hi Z,

The WPC54G seems to use a Broadcom chipset and reports itself as Vendor ID: 5348. Device ID: 17176. That card does not seem to be supported by the standard OS/2 GenMAC package (v2.20), though support may have been added for eCS 2.0 for that particular chip.

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/17245/2/

Of course, there is also the distinct possibility, that (like dLink) they have at some point changed the chipset (either version or manufacturer) - though I cant find any reference to such.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the newest GenMAC packages as planned/delivered for eCS 2.0 will know if support has been added for this card.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

The fact it requires the ndiswrapper option in linux does not bode well for getting it working on OS/2.  Broadcom chips have always been built with windows as the working OS. That some work on linux is more down to good luck than anything else.

It might be possible to get it to work with OS/2 but don't be surprised if it doesn't.

Sorry if I sound as if I'm pouring cold water on the project but I've seen too many problems with Broadcom chip sets on clients windows boxes (works with XP and not Vista or the other way round) to recommend anything with them not be used.